Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ranya thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
u r the most handsome man u look cool and hot u r the best ilike u r smile pushkar
Fallen-Angel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

IS TV A SERIAL KILLER?

Rishi Majumder goes behind the arc lights and reports the daily grind that is the life of many TV actors

This serial was important to me, so I gave it my all. But I have learnt my lesson now." This is what TV actress Roshni Chopra has to say about passing out on the sets of Kasamh Se. But the dilemma about whether to burn out on one job or fade away doesn't end with one person, unfortunately. TV stars, writers and producers in the film and television industry admit to killer work schedules and play the blame game when it comes to the source of this problem.

"I've worked 24 hours a day and shot 10 days non-stop, and I still have 30 working days a month. And schedules will remain just as hectic," says TV actor Ronit Roy nonchalantly. Roy does not hold anyone responsible for his busy work schedule. "It's the way things are. If you want to work you have to comply," he adds.

Others are not as forgiving. "Just like doing your time in jail, you have to do your time here," opines Chetan Hansraj, one of the busiest actors on TV today. Hansraj is now taking it easy because he doesn't want to "kill" himself; and that is because he can afford to do so. "As a new actor I did eight to 10 scenes a day. I had to prove myself for the first three years. Only after that could I sit back and focus on quality rather than quantity," he rounds up.

But why does even a new actor have these schedules? "The script for each episode comes in late because of TRP demands from the audience. These effect changes like scenes being re-written and re-shot," explains TV actress Pooja Ghai. When Ghai started off, she was shooting for four months with about two hours of sleep everyday. When this led to her losing her consciousness on sets and being hospitalised, she remembers her crew members asking the doctors, "When are you going to discharge her? She has a lot to shoot?" before even checking on her. While such health break-downs among TV actors is common news, one actor called Jyoti Chanakya actually "overworked himself to the extent that his unhealthy lifestyle led to cancer", claims a TV actress who doesn't want to be quoted.

At the center of this vortex is the daily soap opera. Rekha Modi TV script writer for dailies claims, "A daily soap is like running a factory. Creativity roz karni hai (Translation: 'You have to use your creativity everyday', I suppose.). Due to the manic competitiveness in the industry, this will have to be according to the TRPs the channels receive. So the writer can't write their plots and characters in advance." Which means that the actors don't get their schedules till the last minute because one never knows how a scene is shaping up. "Often after going on floor you realise that the drama in the script isn't coming through, so you have to re-write, maybe bring in more characters," Modi adds.

Kinnari Mehta, producer of current soap Sinndoor, explains further, "We're in the middle of a boom. With serials on five days a week, we work 16 hours everyday. Even while talking to you now I'm working out the forecast for Wednesday and ahead, and my production house is one of the most organised. Imagine the mess the unorganised ones will be in." Mehta also points out that people are "glued" to daily shows, and that hence "there's nothing the TV industry can do but meet the trend".

But all actors aren't so fatalistic about this trend. Actor Sumeet Sachdev, for instance, says, "Even when I started out, I had the options to do many more shows, but I didn't take them on. I've never taken on more work than I can handle. It's not true that an actor has to do as many shows as he can fit into a day to prove himself. He could do that by doing one show and putting everything into it." But while Sachdev blames the actor's greed for money and fame for taking on so much work, Hansraj disagrees. "There is so much competition in the industry today that if a new actor gives up work, it'll go to someone else, and make his chances of survival shaky," he reasons.

Strangely enough the film industry, earlier known for erratic schedules, has eased its load. Says film producer Boney Kapoor, "This is because we're functioning as an industry. There's more dependability where commitment is concerned. Actors and producers nowadays insist on a complete script, before shooting, and stick to that. We're shooting films in a short span now, but that's because people are working on one film at a time. Every thing is much organised." Not having the burden of a daily deadline helps, perhaps?

All this brings us to another vital question - the quality on offer. Producers, writers and actors involved in the 'daily' phenomenon, defend it tenaciously, with Modi and Mehta claiming, "The output in one day is the same another would come up with in five days. It's up to the artists to meet the challenge."

Yesteryear's TV, film and theatre character actor A. K. Hangal however, has a different take. "Yahaan sab sirf paise banaanein ke chakkar mein hai. Kaam se kisi ko matlab hi nahin," he dismisses. He claims that earlier too, TV serials were prepared hurriedly to be sent to Delhi for Doordarshan, but at least they were meaningful. "Like Tamas", he cites. Directed by Govind Nihalani, it was an exploration of the communal riots in 1947 and analysed relevant social complexities.

While Hangal does blame the absence of such fare to the lack of "progressive, able and educated" directors, in the TV industry, he does not override the crazy TV deadlines as a factor as well. "I had played Vallabhbhai Patel in a serial called Mountbatten, The Last Viceroy, produced by a UK-based production house. They had prepared the script six months in advance and I had four days to go through it before I started shooting. Can you imagine that happening here?" he asks pointedly.

Actress Pallavi Joshi, once much seen on TV, actually claims to have retracted from the industry because of its daily grind. "The industry has gone crazy! Showing the same thing day in and day out exhausts both the actors and the viewers!" she exclaims. Joshi further elucidates that dailies exhaust all character and story options, leaving nothing for the viewer and at the same time exhausts the actor so much that he or she can't perform. "There's no definite character or line of thought. These might suit women who've come here to earn quick bucks before they get married and settle down, but not for someone like me who wants a career in acting," she argues. Joshi claims that she's praying and waiting for the weeklies to return. Maybe we all should!

*  "Just like doing your time in jail, you have to do your time here" — Chetan Hansraj

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=17&am p;am p;am p;sectname=Sunday%20Read&sess=249195198

Fallen-Angel thumbnail
"I don't follow anybody or any trend"

She plays a nerd and a bookworm in Zee's Kasamh Se, but the lady in question is nothing like her onscreen persona. Arunima, who plays Rano in the show, chats up with Tellychakkar.com's Chikita Kukreja.

According to you, what is the true meaning of beauty?
Beauty is being a good person from inside. Outer looks don't matter until one has a pretty soul.

What does trend symbolise?
There is nothing called trend. It's all about comfort and choice.

How much do you go with the statement, "beauty lies in simplicity"?
I completely agree with it. Actual beauty can be recognised only when it's presented simply.

How much time do you get ready?
Not much. I take hardly half an hour.

One accessory you always carry?
My purse.

What would you rather pick up:

Suits or denims

Denims
Heels or flats
Flats
Glares or contacts
Glares
Watches or bracelets
Bracelets
Branded stuff or unbranded
Unbranded

Where do you pick up your clothes from?
Because I am not brand conscious I pick my clothes from anywhere, from Shoppers' Stop to Inorbit to even road side at times.I hardly put on any designer wear. As far as denims are concerned, I love Levis Jeans.

Where do you buy your shoes from?
I love Catwalk shoes.

Who is the trendiest person in the industry?
Saif Ali Khan is one of the trendiest people in the industry. And apart from him, Preeti Zinta and Sushmita Sen are the trendiest ladies in the industry.

Who is the worst dressed personality in the industry?
I haven't noticed any one that badly dressed in the industry. They all take care of how the look and carry themselves.

What sets you apart from the rest in a crowd?
I don't follow anybody or any trend. And this is what sets me apart from the rest.

By CHIKITA KUKREJA
Fallen-Angel thumbnail
PRACHI DESAI

Describing me -
a kind person who loves animals and is very bubbly

My birthday - 12 September 1988

Acting is - my biggest passion

If I had not been an actress, I would have been - an air hostess

As a child I was - very naughty and mischievous

I've spent my childhood in - Surat, Gujrat

Scariest thing on earth - loneliness

I avoid - being with people I don't like

Most embarassing moment - I keep having these moments on and of and therefore don't keep a track of them anymore

My role model - Aamna Sherrif and Preity Zinta

Love for me is - friendship

Lust is - I really don't have any clue

My first crush - Arjun Rampal and Shahid Kapoor

I look forward to - my show

My man will be - a combination of Arjun and Shahid

Mumbai - a nice place but I haven't been around it much

Sexiest man on screen - Arjun Rampal and Cezanne Khan

I always carry - a smile

Fruit I resemble the most - Orange and strawberries

peachesnplums thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
[quote]My birthday - 12 September 1988
[/quote]

oh come on, this means she is 15 right now!!! ..i hope its a misprint..coz that is wayyy to young to play the eldest of 3 sisters ..and she does look young, but i don't think she looks 15!
Fallen-Angel thumbnail
Naman's kissing scene irks 'good friend'
   By: Tushar Joshi
   February 9, 2006

Roshni Chopra and Naman Shaw in Kasamh Se
What was supposed to be a normal day of shooting turned into something quite dramatic for the unit of Zee's Kasamh Se.

The incident happened a few days back, when a scene showing Pushkar (Naman Shaw) kissing Pia (Roshni Chopra) was about to be shot.

Witnessing the shot was Naman's very close friend, Shradhdha Arya. Naman is more than Shradhdha's good buddy.

"There's definitely something going on between them. Why else would Shradhdha land up on the sets to meet Naman?" said a source.

Apparently, Arya was unhappy with the intimate kissing scene between Naman and Roshni.

"She came on the sets to meet him. Since Naman shoots for long hours, there is hardly any time for them to catch up. However, when she figured out he was doing a kissing scene, she was quite irritated." It was only when Naman spoke to her and explained the scene that Shradhdha chilled out and understood the situation.

'Just friends'

When contacted, Shradhdha, who was on Zee's talent hunt show, India's Best, along with Naman, said, "I've known him since our days in India's Best. We are very good friends and try and meet up whenever possible." Are they dating? "Definitely not, he's just a good friend."

What about the drama on the sets? "I don't even know where he shoots, so how can I land up there. This is totally untrue; I have never visited him on location." 

Shradhdha Arya
Naman too toed her line when asked about the incident. "Shradhdha didn't come visiting me at all. This is completely false and misguiding. There's no doubt we are friends, but it's a mistake to talk about us dating."

Unhappy doing love scenes

Said creative head for the show, Sandiip Sikcand, "I was not on the sets, so would not be in a position to talk about it."

However, a unit member of Kasamh Se revealed, "From the beginning, Naman has been very uncomfortable doing romantic scenes.

He would always try and escape situations that required him to do anything passionate. The reason would probably be his girlfriend or parents having issues watching it on television."

While Naman is working in Balaji's show, Shradhdha is still looking for work. "I am from Delhi, and not based in Mumbai. There is no hurry on my part to get into television. I would prefer to wait and do films. Recently, I did a music video for a singer, Saloni, and also appeared in some commercials."

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Zee Cine Awards in Mauritius
http://movies.indiainfo.com/television/zee-awards-090206.htm l

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The venue of this year's Zee Cine Awards is Mauritius and the theme this year is Sun, Sand and Sea.

The awards ceremony is said to take place on March 4th. All dignities and guests will be flown to Mauritius in a chartered plane on March 3. The nominees and star guests will be put up at the island's best five star hotels - Indian Resorts and Spa, and Taj Exotica.Sajid Khan and Roshni Chopra will host the red carpet and the curtain raiser events.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Zee Cine Awards to be held in Mauritius

After Hours Correspondent
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 18:37 IST

Last year the Zee Cine Awards were held in London. This year Zee has decided to mount the show in the swish ambience of Mauritius. The theme this time is centred around sun, sand and sea.

Almost all of Bollywood is scheduled to fly to Mauritius on March 3 and take part in the festivities leading up to the ceremony on March 4. Chartered aircrafts have been arranged to fly down the invitees. The nominees and star guests will be put up at the island's best five star hotels - Indian Resorts and Spa and Taj Exotica.

Television actor Roshni Chopra and anchor Sajid Khan will host the red carpet and the curtain raiser events. The curtain raiser will be aired an hour before the live telecast of the awards ceremony scheduled to begin at 8 pm.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1011941&CatID=7
jingle thumbnail

Mohnish no more part of Kasamh Se
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   October 24, 2005

Mohnish Behl
Actor Mohnish Behl will not be part of Balaji Telefilms' forthcoming show on Zee, Kasamh Se (originally titled Kaanchi). Mohnish shot for Kasamh Se for a day in Powai, but quit after he was approached to don the garb of Suyash Mehra in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii.

Time factor

Parmeet Sethi
When contacted, Behl said, "Yes, it's true that I am not going to be part of Kasamh Se. After I shot for the show for a few hours, I landed KGGK. The role in KGGK is very meaty; even the Kasamh Se role was quite substantial, and I couldn't do plum roles in two dailies as I would need more than 24 hours a day."

Isn't one of the reasons that Behl doesn't shoot beyond 7 pm? "Yes, I shoot for television from 10 to 7 pm; I don't believe in shooting beyond 7 pm unless there is an emergency or technical error."

Explaining why he shoots late hours for films, the actor says, "In films, we work shifts. I can't go on for 17 hours in a day, or the quality suffers. I want to come to the sets with a spring in my stride — I hate dragging my feet."

Behl was supposed to play the middle sister's husband, Jai Walia in the serial. Sandeep Sikcand, creative head for Kasamh Se, says, "That was the original plan.

Now, the story has undergone changes, plus Mohnish is very busy with KGGK, so we are looking at others who can fit the bill. Jai Walia is a big character. It makes a lot of sense to keep Mohnish in one daily. Plus, Kasamh Se, originally supposed to be just three times a week, has now become five times a week," adds Sikcand.

Will Raj do it?

We hear that Parmeet Sethi (Raj of Jassi) has been approached to play Jai Walia. Sethi confirmed to hitList that he had received the offer. "But I haven't met Balaji on this, yet," the actor said. Before Behl, Balaji had thought of Kumar Gaurav for the role. The deal with Gaurav did not materialise because of money issues.

Kasamh Se — a story of three sisters Bani (Prachi Desai), Pia (Roshni Chopra) and Rano (Arunima Sharma) — is scheduled to air next month.

[email protected]

/
Rate this story: < = value=1 name=menu> 1  < = value=2 name=menu> 2  < = value=3 name=menu> 3  < = value=4 name=menu>
</>

rm_apple thumbnail
I swear Parmeet Sethi would have been better.. 😃