Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

indiaforums1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

Guys, I am very much against Lesbian/Gay marriages. I understand that everyone should have freedom and should be able to live their life as they want. However, when we live in "society" there are some standard rules and regulations made so that there is a basic limit and culture that people want to maintain. Now if Gay/Lesb. Marriages are allowed we will have a formation of new society.
[/quote]

Giving homosexuals a right to marraige isn't going to make them more visible than they are. I don't really understand your logic behind creation of a separate society by granting them the right to marraige. I would think otherwise. Instead of differentiating between us and them, this would rather create equality.

[quote]
My kid will start asking questions like why my friend's mother looks like dad and all those wired questions (just to clarify that gay/lesb couples do adopt kids and live as family). I do not want my kid to be exposed at young age with such questions.
[/quote]

Your kid will nevertheless ask such questions. Granting lesbians/gays the right to marry isn't going to make any difference. Homosexuals exist in our society and it would be better if your kids learn the good way and do not grow up to become bigots.

[quote]
If they legalize Gay/Lesb. Marriages all kids will be brought up with the idea of relation being okay and sometime kids do get tempted to try out new things. Over the time and over the generation we will have whole different society.

Homosexuality is not communicable.

Originally posted by: Sania_Hitler

Being a Muslim diz thing iz not allowed in our religion so am against it........thats it

Giving religion as an excuse for condemning homosexuals is getting too
old now. You do a lot of stuff that your religion restricts.
Edited by indiaforums1234 - 18 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: indiaforums1234

Even today's psychiatrists have realized the fact that homosexuals are not "crazy" people, which is why they have removed homosexuality from the list of psychological disorders. Now, on what grounds are you suggesting psychiatric treatment for them?

Whether homosexuality is innate or not that is still under research. I have some friends who are homosexuals and as far as they know they have always been attracted to their own sex. As a matter of fact, most homosexuals will have the same answer. For them it is as if they were born with it. Many of them even have tried to change themselves but failed. Even then if you say that it was their choice, then my question is why would so many of them choose to become somebody that the whole world disapproves of? Something to think about!

Natural law? What natural law are you talking about?
A long running relationship? Are non-homosexuals able to keep long-term relationshiphs? I would say NO! Just look at the divorce rates.

I Think everyone knows natural law(Male-Female), if two or more ppl are njoying the act , let them.but then there can be his/her own reasons. may be not able to satisfy the needs. May be it happened accidentaly. may be it is just for fun. For this i think, no body can't do any thing.if a two girls marry each other in india i think 99% people against it, cos in India is deeply conservative on sexual matters,homosexual sex is still a crime punishable by up to 10 year prison.

India was never a homosexual country so not allow it.......πŸ˜ƒ

(The truth is that homosexuality has been not a part of Indian culture. But the Kamasutra mentions a number of homosexual positions.)

Edited by Believe - 18 years ago
Rindam thumbnail

Human sexuality is still a mystery to science. A lot has been learned, but a whole lot is still hidden. You might say that it is not a typical reaction, however, same-sex attraction has been documented in animals that are far-less social and intelligent than humans.

The fact that it is documented or that it is unknown was not my point. The fact that it is not the typical norm. The documentation of same sex relationships has been made in humans as well. To me, being witness to all the marraiges in San Francisco is proof enough this phenomenon exists. 

I am in the medical field and have never come across any clinical studies that claim that a large part of the gay or lesbian  community have such a preference based on genetic need with statistical significance, which is why I find it hard to argue otherwise.

I am not saying its wrong or contending with any moral basis. That to me , human morality is a mystery not human sexuality.

Yes, there are many folks who choose for various reasons this form of sexual relationship, I am not going to contest their freedom to do so. I will however contest the fact that they expect me to teach my child it is as normal to have sex man to man or woman to woman as it is man with woman. It is not, if it is show me the data.

Originally posted by: Believe

India was never a homosexual country so not allow it.......πŸ˜ƒ

(The truth is that homosexuality hasbeen verymuch a part of Indian culture. The Kamasutra mentions a number of homosexual positions.)

I see conflicting views. I don't quite see where you stand.Edited by indiaforums1234 - 18 years ago

Originally posted by: Rindam

The fact that it is documented or that it is unknown was not my point. The fact that it is not the typical norm. The documentation of same sex relationships has been made in humans as well. To me, being witness to all the marraiges in San Francisco is proof enough this phenomenon exists.

[/quote]

I probably did not explain my point completely. I used the homosexuality in other animals argument to explain why genetic predispostion or some other innate cause is a more plausible explanation for homosexuality rather than a choice as a cause.

[quote]

Yes, there are many folks who choose for various reasons this form of sexual relationship, I am not going to contest their freedom to do so. I will however contest the fact that they expect me to teach my child it is as normal to have sex man to man or woman to woman as it is man with woman. It is not, if it is show me the data.

Yes, a few may choose to become so, but as far as my knowledge is concerned, most of them do not claim to have made a choice about their sexuality.

Nobody is denying you the kind of parenting you wish to enforce on your children. If you wish to teach your child intolerance, you may do that as well.

Since I believe that homosexuality is not a choice, I would not need to teach my kids what's normal and what's not. They will discover themselves as to what they are.Edited by indiaforums1234 - 18 years ago
Editted out.
Double Post!
Sorry!Edited by indiaforums1234 - 18 years ago
Rindam thumbnail

If you wish to teach your child intolerance, you may do that as well.

I do not understand the above statement and how it is relevant to this debate

Edited by Rindam - 18 years ago
Rindam thumbnail

Nobody is denying you the kind of parenting you wish to enforce on your children.

I hope nobody denies me my parental rights, I thought only children could do that and the lawπŸ˜†I was referring the the laws that will take effect if California votes for gay marraiges and what I will be expected to explain in effect to my children.

Since I believe that homosexuality is not a choice, I would not need to teach my kids what's normal and what's not. They will discover themselves as to what they are.

Homosexuality is not a choice for many but it is for many. I know so from the numbers I crunch everyday.

Of course people discover themselves, everyone does eventually to an extent, I would like to help my children along their road to discovery with whatever little knowledge and intolerant or tolerant ideology I have.

Mridang, I got the feeling you took my earlier post personally. Please dont  if you did. I have nothing against gay and lesbian couples. My best friend is gay. But I am still contesting whether to vote for or against -marraige- for him. Please refer to my earileir post as to why it is so hard for me to vote yes even though I want to.

Edited by Rindam - 18 years ago

Originally posted by: Rindam

Homosexuality is not a choice for many but it is for many. I know so from the numbers I crunch everyday.
[/quote]

Could you write more about the "numbers I crunch"?

[quote]
Of course people discover themselves, everyone does eventually to an extent, I would like to help my children along their road to discovery with whatever little knowledge and intolerant or tolerant ideology I have.

Mridang, I got the feeling you took my earlier post personally. Please dont  if you did. I have nothing against gay and lesbian couples. My best friend is gay. But I am still contesting whether to vote for or against -marraige- for him. Please refer to my earileir post as to why it is so hard for me to vote yes even though I want to.

As I said earlier, I also have friends who are gay and even once I was in the same confusion as you are. But after I talked to them, I was convinced that homosexuality is very likely inborn.

Lack of scientific/statistical data kind of seems too meager of a reason to believe otherwise or even be confused (specially since if you have a gay best-friend). I'm inclined to think that there might be other reasons for why you're hesitant.

Rindam thumbnail

As I said earlier, I also have friends who are gay and even once I was in the same confusion as you are. But after I talked to them, I was convinced that homosexuality is very likely inborn.

Lack of scientific/statistical data kind of seems too meager of a reason to believe otherwise or even be confused (specially since if you have a gay best-friend). I'm inclined to think that there might be other reasons for why you're hesitant.

I am a scientist by profession and that is the most significant and most objective method I employ for every topic and not just the gay/lesbian marraige debate. And data and statistics are the best way I have been persuaded and have persuaded, this has never been a meager reason amongst the scientific community. I could be biased in using this method as I belong to this community.

The friend I grew up with for 20 years of my life since we were 2 year olds. I have seen him suffer through in school. I got horribly troubled in  for being his friend. I have been through hell and back because of him with his family and other friends. I hated him and often ask him why?Today he is still my bestest buddy, he was never inclined to think my reason for demanding proof in numbers for him to marry someone as being meager either.

You have your own method for making your call and I mine. As for what you are inclined to think, I can try to persuade you if you tell me what you are thinking. I will try, if not I cant help it, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And again I request do not take things personally.