Debate Mansion

Lesbian marriages

Signora2 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
 Today there was a news report about a girl  committing suicide after her family refused to accept her marriage with her girl friend. Tthis story is about a small town girl neighbouring Delhi and not the first one, infact  all the sex values in the society are being knocked down and yet we do not accept that issues such as these need to be debated upon. we continue to exist in a time warp, the elders called it unethical and there was another lady saying the very act is against nature how can society give sanctity to a marraige of this kind. What should be the response of a society when these kind of incidents take place? for all purpose the girls should not have been shunned or ostracized by the family that is steeped in tradition,  for them it is an immoral act. how can we respond to a situation of this kind, do the girls need to be accepted or shunned? CAn we brush this kind of incident under the carpet  and act as if it never happens in our country ? Edited by Signora2 - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

paagalhoonmain thumbnail
well they are ok and can be leagalised with the option of divorce open πŸ˜†
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Signora we recently discussed teaching kids about homosexuality in school . So that all the prejudices we hold against homo sexuals may be tackled .
We live in a homophobic times ( whether its U.S or India) . And forget Gay /Lesbian Marriages , people have issues even with children taught and biases removed about homosexuals !

Its sad , but thats reality that even in the U.S when some States had started to accept homo sexual marriages , there were many homophobic people who opposed it . Saying that mockery was being made of the Institution of Marriage . It seems these people themselves aren't confident about the Institution of Marriage !!

I personally belive Marriage should be between two people who love each other and our willing to commit for a life long relationship . The fact is that there are as many homosexuals as there are Hetros . So would you rather have a homo sexual commit to some one who is Hetro ? Or would you rather that a homo sexual is able to find a partner of his or her kind ? Also why shouldn't a homo sexual have the right to getting married just like a Hetro sexual person ?
sabz_m thumbnail
i'm against gay and lesbian marriages!! thats all i'd like to say. no offence to any1.
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I really dont care abou the gay or lesbian unions and such. It's really a personal decision for them and I dont see why there should be any input from our side. Who one wants to sleep with is none of my business.

As far as calling their union -marraige- goes its hard to allow that as it then brings with it social and political and judicial consequences with it.

I've heard the argument of marriage being defined as a union between a man and a woman.

But as scientific definitions change the scientific community requires proof for those to be established and accepted. Only after peer scrutiny and acceptance is any definition changed.

One could argue the same for social definitions. Marriage being one such word, it should also allow change albeit with adequate proof and establishing the fact why it must be changed from a union between a man and a woman.

A lot of the peers dont accept this change of definition atleast in popular vote in the US and I suspect this would be true in India as well, both countries being socially conservative compared to Western Europe.

I personally dont care, but I wonder often if I find that I am forcing myself to think equally for all people which is not bad. However its not something that comes as a reflex action, like wow Im so happy. That "Im so happy" has a precursor "Well, I guess whoever he wants to be with as long as he is happy its OK, then ""I am happy-

As far as legally calling theri union marraige goes I guess its OK doesnt make my relationship any less honorable but Im not one hundred percent convinced, and I dont know why, maybe Im a hypocrite, I dont know-But I try not to be πŸ˜•
Sharila thumbnail
I am very much against Lesbian Marriages. We have a woman and man for a reason, so make a good use of them
Willows thumbnail
<>I believe we live in a democratic society and people's preference should be respected, if a particular human being likes to be in the company of same sex or wants to go one step and get committed to such partner, any interference by society, should be treated as equal invasion of private matter. </>

I think the society needs to mature and accept the people as they are, for it is the people who represent the society.

<>Regarding people treating it as against nature, I believe we live it times where the definition are on the change mode, the parameters are changing, the choices are varying, and we need to accept this so as to make the society a more peaceful place to live.</>
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
whats going on............? 😊 its already discussed in another topic i think so. 😳 Edited by Believe - 18 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Believe

whats going on............? 😊 its already discussed in another topic i think so. 😳

Vinu read carefully , one topic is about teaching about gays in school , this topic is gay marriages . Can't you see the difference ?
sowmyaa thumbnail
Guys, I am very much against Lesbian/Gay marriages. I understand that everyone should have freedom and should be able to live their life as they want. However, when we live in "society" there are some standard rules and regulations made so that there is a basic limit and culture that people want to maintain. Now if Gay/Lesb. Marriages are allowed we will have a formation of new society. My kid will start asking questions like why my friend's mother looks like dad and all those wired questions (just to clarify that gay/lesb couples do adopt kids and live as family). I do not want my kid to be exposed at young age with such questions. Now I understand that some people would want to give education to kids about it…however, there is age for everything. Pre-schoolers and elementary students should not be exposed with such complex values. If they legalize Gay/Lesb. Marriages all kids will be brought up with the idea of relation being okay and sometime kids do get tempted to try out new things. Over the time and over the generation we will have whole different society. Though I respect each individual, I would definitely want my child to give respect to group of people and will explain them at their appropriate age, but I would be uncomfortable having wedded neighbor that's two females or two male and a child and a dog as a family.

I may sound traditional but these are my views.