Priyanka Chopra says fair skin rules in B-town

-Anjaani- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago

Priyanka Chopra says fair skin rules in B-town

Priyanka Srivastava, Sonali Joshi and Vivek Kar | Mail Today  | March 3, 2011 | Updated 11:09 IST
Utilities
Get social

Relateds
Priyanka Chopra
Priyanka Chopra feels looks rule the film industry. In an interview to Harper's Bazaar for its second anniversary issue, Priyanka discusses how the industry is still dominated by the fair- skinned and lighteyed.

So, how does the unconventional beauty, who features on the magazine's cover, fare? "Looks do play an important role for any actor in mainstream cinema, and that is not restricted to our film industry alone.

But, if you go back to the history of Indian cinema and even today, you will see that Indian audiences are very accepting. "While we have had some of the most beautiful women and men grace our screens, we have also made superstars of ordinary people who cannot be classified as traditionally good- looking. At the end of the day, I believe, more than looks, it's how you connect with the audience that matters," says Priyanka
Edited by lovePC - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Why only in Bollywood every where in India thats the case. However I would like to think that Bollywood has come a long way. Dont see much of a bias for fair skinned girls . DP, PC, Bipasha, Chitragandha, Sonam are a few who have made it irrespective not being extremely fair skinned.

But the audience is still obsessed with fair skin though. How else would you explain Kat's popularity?
-Anjaani- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Gobsmacked

Why only in Bollywood every where in India thats the case. However I would like to think that Bollywood has come a long way. Dont see much of a bias for fair skinned girls . DP, PC, Bipasha, Chitragandha, Sonam are a few who have made it irrespective not being extremely fair skinned.

But the audience is still obsessed with fair skin though. How else would you explain Kat's popularity?

Totally agree, without any acting ability she is on the top right now!
Shipra_S thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: lovePC

Totally agree, without any acting ability she is on the top right now!

Yeah. Plus she can't even speak Hindi properly, yet she is so popular in Hindi cinema.๐Ÿ˜†.....

@topic- It's not so anymore i guess. What with Ranvir Singh being accepted by one and all, the looks barrier is certainly crossed now, i guess.
i think its unfair to attribute kat's success to her fair skin...lets face it..the woman has a fantastic connect with the audience which very few actresses can match...like priyanka herself said, its not just abt the looks...everything including luck, talent, contacts in the industry, screen presence, charisma needs to fall in place to establish that connect...

as for fair skin...well..i dunt think they rule bollywood...even fair guys like duggu and saif are going for the tanned look coz its sexier.....i think its the other way around...tanned and dusky skin is ruling bollywood
Edited by smartie_pants - 13 years ago
nalinidj thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Not a Kat fan here, but I have watched all of her movies - did I just contradict myself????๐Ÿ˜†But anyway, she has an onscreen charm that is quite cute and that has nothing to do with her skin colour.  She may not be the best of actresses or even come close to a Vidya, Konkona or Kareena, but she does have an aura that is attractive and pleasant to the eye and does not make watching her movies a hardship.
Kareena is ruling at the moment and it is all about her talent and accessibility and not her skin colour, that I am sure about.๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Vidya Balan is no gori mem, but she can act rings around most of her contemporaries and she is successful at the box office a lot as well.
Your white skin and good looks may be the initial attraction, but you have to be top heavy in the charm, charisma and talent department to rule in Hindi cinema - Let's not knock professionalism as well, because the white skin and good looks is a drag after a while.......case in point, Imran Khan.  What a good looking boy, so sweet and so boring, both onscreen and in interviews.  I watch and read his interviews because he is so cute and pleasant and don't bother watching his movies.  Unlike, I skip most of Ranbir's interviews and never miss his movies.๐Ÿ˜†
you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Where does PC talk about skin colour.

Does looks =skin colour?

Media sucks๐Ÿ˜ก
ISano thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
 i read her interview they took her out of a project coz they now wanted a fair heroine..

or something like that..

but now aday the movie makign are dont know wat to say

Edited by Sallufanno1 - 13 years ago
sheee thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I don't think so. And I think priyanka is not happy with the way she looks, thats why she got her nosejob done, and now this statment.
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: sheee

I don't think so. And I think priyanka is not happy with the way she looks, thats why she got her nosejob done, and now this statment.

๐Ÿ˜†Sheee you naughty girl

I kinda disagree because Kareena has fair skin but she hasn't had more hits than Katrina she has had quite a few flops