Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

amy22 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I TOTALLY have been wanting to watch the movie since I saw the promo... cannot wait!
lol....aww...taru...u know i cannot take ur reviews seriously..😆

but im still excited abt this movie. 😳 hope it does well.
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I love Madhavan but I think I'm going to skip this one. Will probably watch online. 
another one from indiatoday

Tanu weds Manu

Director: Anand Rai
Starring: Kangna Ranaut, R. Madhavan
Rating:    

The small town is spot on. The girls learn dance moves from Nach Baliye, learn English in 180 days, scream the hoardings in every marketplace, wedding guests drink whisky in steel glasses, everyone wears Kurt Cobain T-shirts without knowing about Nirvana, and all important decisions are taken in the presence of the entire family, including the old grandmother on the khatiya.

The boy from London is a straight arrow who has ticked all the must-do boxes of a successful young man. The girl from Kanpur is a romantic in love with the idea of rebellion. He falls for her. She is in love with someone else. So far so cliche. But then the heroine's friend is a spitfire, the hero's friends are more than cardboard cutouts, and the parents are long suffering rather than overbearing.

R. Madhavan gets a role worthy of his dreamboat status in the South though he does tend to look like the Incredible Bulk-he indeed is a "darling type of aadmi", as Kangna calls him. Deepak Dobriyal's foxy face conveys a wealth of sly and subtle emotion. KK Raina (so wonderful to see him back) is the well meaning dad who has never triumphed his domineering wife. Swara Bhaskar is a phataka as the independent minded, pragmatic friend. Even the normally blah Jimmy Shergill does brooding well.

But the star is undoubtedly Kangna Ranaut, who cusses, drinks Old Monk neat, smokes grass, and gets her boyfriend's name tattooed on her chest. Her expressive face is always way ahead of her alarming diction but few films have done as much justice to girl power as Tanu Weds Manu. "Why make pacemakers," she says at one point to the hapless Madhavan, "when I serve that purpose?" Indeed as she dances to Kajra Mohabbat Wala, rides a motorbike, utters Amitabh Bachchan-worthy dialogues (darti to main apne baap se bhi nahin hoon), she shows why she's her very own Jhansi ki Rani and her very own Sarojini Naidu.  

Sure, it's basically Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge between Kanpur, Lucknow and Kapurthala but aren't all romances in India essentially variations of Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge? What's good about Tanu Weds Manu is the level of detailing. The singing in the train compartment when a family travels together. The cutesy cushion in the girl's that squeaks when it's sat upon. The late night round of tea when a family crisis is on. The Sunil Dutt songs playing on the terrace in the moonlight. And the joys of eating garam puris on the way back from Vaishno Devi.

Fun and feisty, just like Ms Ranaut, this is a movie worth watching. My favourite lines? All with Dobriyal. Sarkar abhi bhi bachayi ja sakti hai, he says. My name is Pappi. Bol ke doon, ya kar ke?

TOI review :  3 stars

Story: Manu (R Madhavan) is a sad and serious NRI doctor in London who comes looking for a bride in India. He flips for a sozzled small town girl, Tanu (Kangna Ranaut) who lives with her extended family in Kanpur. But there's a hitch. Tanu loves a goonda from Lucknow and threatens Manu with dire consequences if he doesn't say No to the wedding. Poor Manu! He not only says No but tries his best to get his dream girl marry her boyfriend.

Movie Review: Been there, done that? Yes, the first thing that strikes you about Tanu Weds Manu is a striking sense of familiarity. It wasn't long before you saw Shahid Kapoor playing a similar sacrificial lover to Kareena Kapoor in Jab We Met. And like poor Kareena, who tries too sort out her confused emotions against the backdrop of the big fat Punjabi wedding, Tanu too must decide who is better husband material, first amidst the hustle bustle of her best friend's boisterous going-balle-balle baraat and then at her chaotic Kanpuria community haveli.

But the deja vu doesn't last long. For despite the predictable -- and paper thin -- storyline, the film manages to hook you with its sheer atmospherics. The director creates an extremely busy and colourful canvas brimming with characters who are anything but cardboard cut-outs. If Madhavan fleshes out a heart-tugging, oh-so-lonely and acutely desi NRI, winning you over with his shy smiles and well-mannered chutzpah, then Kangna Ranaut's wild cat rebel is endearing too. The Friends Inc also pitches in an inspired act with the groom's best buddies Deepak Dobriyal and Eijaz Khan adding fun and games to the raucous proceedings. On the bride's side, it is the spunky Payal (Swara Bhaskar) who infuses verve, even while emerging as Kangna's counsel and guide. As for Jimmy Sheirgill, must we reiterate: Give him a role, guys; he's good! In fact, the highpoint of Tanu weds Manu is not so much the confused romance between Madhavan and Kangana. Instead, it is the 'bromance' (dosti-dushmani) between Madhavan and Jimmy that grabs eyeballs with its volcanic undercurrents, which alas, are too few and far between.

And then come the sundry cityscapes.... Tanu Weds Manu lives more through its psychedelic backdrop than its drama. The film maker along with his cinematographer (Chirantan Das) and music director (Krsna) captures mofussil India with all its bustling beauty. Kanpur, with its overriding chaos and its criss-cross alleys almost begins to breathe on screen, even as the great Indian family emerges as one helluva character in one more desi paean to the joint parivaar.

Fun while it lasts, Tanu Weds Manu throws up Bollywood's newest obsession -- small town girls and their gunas (values) -- once again. A meatier storyline and a less messed up climax would have worked wonders for the film.

Madhuri loved 'Tanu Weds Manu'

IANS
Posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 07:42pm IST

New Delhi: Bollywood actors R. Madhavan and Kangna Ranaut are on cloud nine after their favourite actress Madhuri Dixit praised their movie Tanu Weds Manu, which releases on Friday.

Madhuri, who came along with her family for the special screening of the romantic comedy, considered the movie a fine body of work as she could relate to the movie for its Indianness and connect to cultural roots.

On knowing this, both Kangana and Madhavan are extremely happy.

An excited Madhavan wrote on microblogging site Twitter, "I met THE MADHURI DIXIT NENE today...she said she love my work .. MY YEAR IS MADEEEEe.. YIPEEEE (sic)."

Edited by smartie_pants - 13 years ago
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Looks like a cute fun film... Edited by -Maddy- - 13 years ago
glitters thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Kangna and Madhavan jamming with kids on the sets of Chak Dhoom Dhoom

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRfj6sO19w[/YOUTUBE]

So cute.
Edited by Natss - 13 years ago
babloo_mka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Look forwared to watching this movie, hopefully I'll see it over the weekend.

Originally posted by: TallyHo

To see or not to see...that is the question! Kangna's over exuberant promos are putting me off...but I am curious abt the story!

you watched every other gay movie so why not this..😆
Edited by Meena1 - 13 years ago

Originally posted by: TallyHo

To see or not to see...that is the question! Kangna's over exuberant promos are putting me off...but I am curious abt the story!

That's so un-TallyHo. What's happening to you? 😆

Someone mentioned TWM as a medley of Socha Na Tha and Bunty aur Babli. Madhavan's character is apparently a passive hero like BKB's male lead.