Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

psawyer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: nureat01

Especially one bit from season 5 has stayed with me when Booth's grandpa tells Brennan that she'll need to be there to hold him when he cries or something like that. Also I found it a bit odd that in season 1 they made it appear like Booth came from a close-knit happy family but then in season 4, we learnt in the mayhem in the cross epi that he too was abused by his father.....later on this was confirmed further by the Grandpa in season 5....but they haven't elaborated on this since....would really like to know more about that as well as details of his time as a sniper which have also been left quite cryptic.

Another thing....for Brennan, I wish they would once again show more glimpses or make more references to all the horrifying things she's seen during her travels around the world....in the earlier seasons, she used to mention many more things like having seen genocides, trekked through Tibet, identifying mass graves in Iraq....that kind of stuff.....used to make things more interesting....wish they'd show those aspects to her again.

@bold - yeah, they seemed to have changed this backstory slightly...but they did that with Brennan too. In Season 1 she said that she was in foster care until her grandfather took her out of there, and then when Max came back she said she'd never known her grandparents. Of course, that could have meant her other set of grandparents...but to me it didn't seem like that; she could have said "I didn't know your/mom's parents" but the way she said it, it seemed like she didn't know any of her grandies. 

I really, really miss Season 1 Brennan. Especially Pilot episode-Brennan. I know that pilot episodes sort of exist on their own - they present the show to the networks and if the show is picked up, quite a lot of the pilot's story/themes are changed dramatically. But, dammit, Pilot-Brennan was kickass! From the way she walked, to her amused, world-aware smirk, the way she took down that Agent who followed her, her antagonism towards Booth etc. A lot of those aspects of her character changed over the years - change is natural, no doubt, but it seems that she become more rigid rather than less, or more "academic" rather than the world-wise person she was. Even in season 1, she didn't own a TV (her ex boyf trashed it in the pilot) but she wasn't as clueless as she later became. Seems to me they tried to go for comic effect every time: "ooh, look, Brennan is so clueless, she doesn't know who Michael Jackson is! Ha ha!" but it fell flat for me. I don't mind her not knowing the same things that Booth does, but she never used to be that much of a numpty. And, for someone who's experienced all the things she has, like the genocides, the trek to Tibet, the mass graves, the massacres etc - all the countries and cultures she's visited...it seemed very odd to me that she would be so clueless about person to person interaction, and that she would need Booth to be the subtitles. I mean, even a lay person who travels so much and to such diverse cultures would pick up a thing or two about how to talk to people (okay, so she worked primarily with bones and dead people, but she must have had some human contact, otherwise how would she survive all of it?) Though thankfully recently she has been coming out of that and back towards the Brennan we used to know. I think seasons 3 and 4 (maybe part of 5) were a real decline for the show, in all ways. 

P.S - you remember in season 1's The Woman in the Car, that State Department's Agent Pickering comes to review the team and asks Brennan "when you were in Cuba, you met with a man named [Insert name here]"? and then Brennan picked up the phone, called someone and said "you told me to call you when someone came asking about this" and the Agent was shot down by whoever was on the phone? I always wanted to know what the hell that was about! πŸ˜† It was one of the cooler things about Brennan's character and part of, like you say, the interesting/disturbing things she'd seen and done on her travels. Seems like in softening her character a little too much (not in terms of emotions, but making her less.....edgy, I guess) they seem to have forgotten about this 
Edited by psawyer - 13 years ago
nimrah thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Shekhar Suman forgets his steps, gives the excuse of being on medication.. Judges say that they won't be able to give him scores! That means, HOPEFULLY he'll be the next one to go! πŸ˜† That sounds mean, but I'm so happy about it! πŸ˜†

And Daya while leaving says that he always felt bad that good dancers left before him and he didn't know how to react! Aw bechara! :(( 
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: psawyer

I really, really miss Season 1 Brennan. Especially Pilot episode-Brennan. I know that pilot episodes sort of exist on their own - they present the show to the networks and if the show is picked up, quite a lot of the pilot's story/themes are changed dramatically. But, dammit, Pilot-Brennan was kickass! From the way she walked, to her amused, world-aware smirk, the way she took down that Agent who followed her, her antagonism towards Booth etc. A lot of those aspects of her character changed over the years - change is natural, no doubt, but it seems that she become more rigid rather than less, or more "academic" rather than the world-wise person she was.

P.S - you remember in season 1's The Woman in the Car, that State Department's Agent Pickering comes to review the team and asks Brennan "when you were in Cuba, you met with a man named [Insert name here]"? and then Brennan picked up the phone, called someone and said "you told me to call you when someone came asking about this" and the Agent was shot down by whoever was on the phone? I always wanted to know what the hell that was about! πŸ˜† It was one of the cooler things about Brennan's character and part of, like you say, the interesting/disturbing things she'd seen and done on her travels. Seems like in softening her character a little too much (not in terms of emotions, but making her less.....edgy, I guess) they seem to have forgotten about this 

Yeah I know what you mean....season one Brennan was the best and even season two Brennan was pretty good....they really dumbed her down a lot in season 3/4/5 to a great extent....and even now it's hit and miss many times....the glory days of season one never came back fully when her character used to be right on the mark. The show also became so campy/cheesy in many ways naa....and that effect trickled onto Brennan's characterization as well it seems.....although I didn't really connect her having traveled the world meaning that she necessarily can't be clueless about pop culture....I find it believable that she wouldn't know anything about the Blair Witch Project or even MJ if she spent much of her time in remote areas pouring over dead bodies....that stretch of imagination I can work with....but the way they presented her cluelessness sometimes for comic effect did end up becoming annoying and making her seem robotic for no real reason.

But word to your last line....that EDGINESS that she had to her in season one....it's not really there anymore....yeah I guess change is inevitable and she has evolved since that time...it's been 6 years and all this time with Booth and being in the lab permanently changes a lot.....we got a flash of kick-ass Brennan in the season opener in Maluku but HOW I wish we got to see more of that....more of her kicking butt....Honestly I feel if the cases were once again made as interesting as they used to be and connect more with her travels and those experiences, we could get that aspect of her character back....IF they ever were interested in exploring that :S
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: nimrah

Shekhar Suman forgets his steps, gives the excuse of being on medication.. Judges say that they won't be able to give him scores! That means, HOPEFULLY he'll be the next one to go! πŸ˜† That sounds mean, but I'm so happy about it! πŸ˜†

And Daya while leaving says that he always felt bad that good dancers left before him and he didn't know how to react! Aw bechara! :(( 

Aww DayaπŸ€— He really is quite a sweetheart.....that sicko SHEKHAR on the other hand has no shame....HE should have left much before Daya!

What about Sushant? Did they show his act today?
psawyer thumbnail
Yeah, the pop culture references is fine...that was just the example that came to my head - if she didn't get them, I could live with that. But it was how she suddenly became unable to talk to people without either a) alienating them, b) insulting/condescending to them or c) both. Season 1/2 Brennan, even with her "anthropological" thoughts, even with her rationality and imperical mind, still knew how to talk to people. Emotionally-stunted I can understand. Socially-challenged, too. And logical to the point of rudeness (perceived rather than actual - she's not being rude so much as saying the thing that no one wants to say or hear) is also okay. But like you said, dumbing her character and the show down to create comic effect was just the wrong move. 

I guess one of the episodes that really stands out for me to show just how camp/cheesy the show got was Season 4's The Double Death of the Dearly Departed. To think that in this show, we would see the oh-so-professional squints and FBI's knight in shining armour carting a dead body OUT of the coffin and and taking it back to the lab without any care for the dead, or anyone even noticing was mindboggling. I thought I was watching another show! Actually season 4 started off wrong - Yanks in the UK was this ultra-stereotype reinforcer, both towards the British and towards Booth as the "Ugly American" πŸ˜•

@Nims - hi! How are you? I hope Shocker Suman leaves SOON! Maybe they could bring Krushna back in his place the way it should have been! And awww at Daya!
Edited by psawyer - 13 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
@Vas: LOL ohhh the Double Death of the Dearly Departed....haha.....I remember first time I watched it I was also going seriously? This is Bones??? lolll.....and I toh was doing this marathon catching up session of seasons 1-4 in those 2 weeks so I was watching everything back to back and the changes in the show in those seasons felt even more abrupt and weird.....first time around I was quite put off by how everything was turned into a joke....now my standards for Bones have lowered....lol...so if I watch a re-run of this on TV, I just laugh now....haha....what the show was in season 1-2 and what it became after that are two different things in a sense....only the BnB relationship continued to evolve....so there I still do have expectations....lol

I never enjoyed the Yanks in the U.K. epis.....very cheesy and I found the cases blahhh as well....haan the BnB moments were cute...."Lady Temperance and Sir Seeley"...haha.......lol I dunno about the "Ugly American" Brit stereotype but what they showed of Booth's frustration with the tiny car and the food etc....haha....it wasn't that far-fetched....a person with a mid-west American, blue collar background....that is exactly how they think and talk from what I've seen.....lol....they want their things in big sizes and that typical food they love.....lol
LadyMcbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Hola senoritas! How are we doing today? I see BnB siggys floating around everywhere and I was bold enough to steal one without asking for anyone's permission ... *brash muh*

Are we discussing Bones? *curious muh*

Before we delve into that, just wanted to share one cool slight of hand video I came across this morning - http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-fastest-magician.htm

psawyer thumbnail

Originally posted by: nureat01

@Vas: LOL ohhh the Double Death of the Dearly Departed....haha.....I remember first time I watched it I was also going seriously? This is Bones??? lolll.....and I toh was doing this marathon catching up session of seasons 1-4 in those 2 weeks so I was watching everything back to back and the changes in the show in those seasons felt even more abrupt and weird.....first time around I was quite put off by how everything was turned into a joke....now my standards for Bones have lowered....lol...so if I watch a re-run of this on TV, I just laugh now....haha....what the show was in season 1-2 and what it became after that are two different things in a sense....only the BnB relationship continued to evolve....so there I still do have expectations....lol

I never enjoyed the Yanks in the U.K. epis.....very cheesy and I found the cases blahhh as well....haan the BnB moments were cute...."Lady Temperance and Sir Seeley"...haha.......lol I dunno about the "Ugly American" Brit stereotype but what they showed of Booth's frustration with the tiny car and the food etc....haha....it wasn't that far-fetched....a person with a mid-west American, blue collar background....that is exactly how they think and talk from what I've seen.....lol....they want their things in big sizes and that typical food they love.....lol

LOL, yeah, my expectations have now lowered as well. I know the names of all season 1 eps AND the cases and most often the killers too...but ask me about season 3/4/5 and I have only vague recollections...the cases got more boring, the killers easy to predict but forgettable and yeah, the show dumbed down quite a bit. But like you said, at least BB's journey evolved, even if it was a lot of to and fro. 

@bold - LOL, I am sure some of it was true. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason :-P But I remember there was FURORE on the imdb boards after that episode - people were pissed as hell at Booth acting the way he did....and more so, the fact that the tiny car (the Mini) was not exactly typical of Britain - it is possible to get other cars here, lol. And the bit where he stops on a busy roundabout, gets out of his car and SCREAMS bloody murder was not well received, let me tell you! πŸ˜† That was so not within Booth's character. I mean yeah, he shot a clown, but that was after a lot of provocation in the form of Howard Epps, and the fact that he was not able to save him from falling to his death, even though he was a serial killer. In this episode, the small car and the fact that he was hungry was hardly going to justify his actions πŸ˜†

But I guess the creatives emphasised all the stereotypes in order to hammer the point; most people/TV shows do that....the Simpsons is the worst when it comes to depicting the British, but then they do that with the hicks and hillbillies and all other people as well, so I guess as long as they are fair...
LadyMcbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kavya_KraZQueen

Does anyone else feel that Valentine's Day is so over-rated?  No offense to the people who truly enjoy celebrating it though - personally, I just feel that Valentine's day is hyped for no reason...

More on this later- gotta hit the bed now, see ya!

I certainly think Valentine's Day is over-rated by the Hallmarks and Victoria Secrets of the world to sell their greeting cards, heart shaped everything .. right from balloons to I don't know underwear!!??!! The kids are wowed with the entire Disney experience when you take them to Disneyland - likewise, the teens are wowed with the idea of a knight in shining armour riding on a stallion, sweeping them off their feet with a bunch of red roses, chocolates, cheesy greeting card etc ... for the risque ones there is always silk lingerie, champagne, strawberries n' cream ... *rolls eyes* Coming from old school of thoughts, I don't think one needs a special day to shower their attention on their beloved.
AreYaar thumbnail
Heyyy LadyM! *waves* Yep we're discussing BonesπŸ˜†

Originally posted by: psawyer

@bold - LOL, I am sure some of it was true. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason :-P But I remember there was FURORE on the imdb boards after that episode - people were pissed as hell at Booth acting the way he did....and more so, the fact that the tiny car (the Mini) was not exactly typical of Britain - it is possible to get other cars here, lol. And the bit where he stops on a busy roundabout, gets out of his car and SCREAMS bloody murder was not well received, let me tell you! πŸ˜† That was so not within Booth's character. I mean yeah, he shot a clown, but that was after a lot of provocation in the form of Howard Epps, and the fact that he was not able to save him from falling to his death, even though he was a serial killer. In this episode, the small car and the fact that he was hungry was hardly going to justify his actions πŸ˜†

But I guess the creatives emphasised all the stereotypes in order to hammer the point; most people/TV shows do that....the Simpsons is the worst when it comes to depicting the British, but then they do that with the hicks and hillbillies and all other people as well, so I guess as long as they are fair...

@bold: Oh yeah that was like MAJORLY OTT....haha....deffo OTT even for Booth and his unpredictable tendencies....basically the entire season 4 was THE most campy/cheesy in that sense....and these very beginning epis only showed that πŸ˜†

True, TV shows love to go OTT with stereotypes....and I guess that is what Bones started to do as well as it gained more popularity with time.
Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago