Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: .Arjun

Well at 13-14 age kids can get carried away with these addictions ! The phone usage should be definiately restricted as we see teenager texting their mates almost 24 hrs a day. Now its upto parents to find a way to enforce this. It depends on parent-child relationship.  Its not bad to have a cellphone but addiction isn't good. 

Too much exposure to cell phone radiations at an early age can lead to brain tumour ........so how should parent handle this situation ? Should they still continue child to use it hoping that child will learn from its own mistakes some day ? πŸ˜³  

@bold.. I might use this info to explain it to my daughter when time comes.. she loves herself too much and is afraid of anything that can harm her life.. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

All parents face this fear of their children making bad choices in life.. it's not just phone usage.. there can be many temptations out there.. so how many things we can restrict them from??πŸ˜• Many times having a good talk with your child.. explaining them about the damage caused by these things can help.. restrictions can take your child further apart from you.. and it should be last in the list IMO 😊 
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
well, I think there is no instant remedy for addiction. just like you can't expect a chain smoker to leave smoking in a day, you can't expect a TV/mobile/computer addict to to leave their addiction in a day either. it doesn't work that way. there are always different ways and means to get to the same destination, and with teenagers, rigid parenting isn't one of them. even if sujata had managed to take away her mobile for a night, instead of letting go of her habit, sneha would have become resentful and would have developed hatred for sujata, not her mobile. 

for example, I'm a caffeine addict and can't go without my customary two cups of black coffee a day. now if some X person comes, who I don't even know, and orders me to stop drinking coffee then I'll probably walk out of the house and have it an outlet of cafe coffee day. 

so while I do feel that mobile addiction is bad, I don't agree with sujata's way to get sneha to get rid of it. 

Originally posted by: axeion

What do u expect them to do... Probably watch TV or be on the internet...πŸ˜• Don't these equipments radiate? Don't our microwaves radiate? Don't our mosquito replants radiate? What abt all those radiations from all other equipments out on the lose? And aren't radiations bad for everyone, 

Addiction of anything is not good, be it even be studies... Then why don't we stop kids from studying forever πŸ˜• 

We are not debating using these equipments ........we are talking aboutt it excessive usage!

Do we expose ourselves to microwave radiations 24 hrs a day ? There are some kids who watch TV all night !  Do parents want kids to lose sleep over such techie gizmo stuff ??? Is it worth it ?   Kids do carry cellphones 24 hrs a day in their pockets ...is it really needed ?  Rather than texting in the middle of the night, they can have peaceful sleep na :)

My point is that if you know something is harmful for you child, why not stop if ? 😊   Same goes with alcohol ......do you want your child to consume alcohol at teen age just coz he can learn from his own mistakes ??

I am with you on giving freedom to kids but parent's should educate kids about ill-effects where possible :)

I didn't get your viewpoint about addiction to studies ......😊

EDIT : Since you mentioned internet, should there be parental controls on what kids watch on TV and internet ?  Should parents let child watch any adult programs/websites just coz child can learn everything on his own ...and be liberal with them ?  I guess all this should be introduced at the right age :)

😳Edited by .Arjun - 13 years ago
groucho thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

We are not debating using these equipments ........we are talking aboutt it excessive usage!

Do we expose ourselves to microwave radiations 24 hrs a day ? There are some kids who watch TV all night !  Do parents want kids to lose sleep over such techie gizmo stuff ??? Is it worth it ?   Kids do carry cellphones 24 hrs a day in their pockets ...is it really needed ?  Rather than texting in the middle of the night, they can have peaceful sleep na :)

My point is that if you know something is harmful for you child, why not stop if ? 😊   Same goes with alcohol ......do you want your child to consume alcohol at teen age just coz he can learn from his own mistakes ??

I am with you on giving freedom to kids but parent's should educate kids about ill-effects where possible :)

I didn't get your viewpoint about addiction to studies ......😊

EDIT : Since you mentioned internet, should there be parental controls on what kids watch on TV and internet ?  Should parents let child watch any adult programs/websites just coz child can learn everything on his own ...and be liberal with them ?  I guess all this should be introduced at the right age :)

😳

I agree anything in moderation is acceptable...............but gizmos seem to be the' in' thing with children today...... It is up to the parents to draw the line and I feel if explained in a proper manner, they might rebel initially but will eventually accept it.

Sadly what we grew up with, letter writing, reading books, going for walks seem to be so ordinary and redundant these days.

I guess technology comes at a price.

Originally posted by: groucho

Sadly what we grew up with, letter writing, reading books, going for walks seem to be so ordinary and redundant these days.

well said. I still enjoy it ...something that we grew up with ..:)

groucho thumbnail
This is the first thing that has struck me in the 2 episodes that I have watched...............the lack of simple pleasures.

Even living in a place like Nainital except for yoga which I feel the kids were doing to please their mother, the kids hardly went out of the house. Maybe it was edited.........so I will reserve judgment on that.

well said. I still enjoy it ...something that we grew up with ..:)

Aah! Now you two. Don't start with hamare zamane mein. Remember! it irked us when our parents said it to us and their parents to them.πŸ˜†

Groucho and Arjun, all the things you mentioned happen today too. Well! letter writing may be not because e-mails are just too easy and convenient and it's really tough to argue in favor of letters  when kids today throw 'save trees' argument. I still write when I send cards.

I agree that reading books on Kindle is so convenient but taking a whiff of new and old book while reading is something I'm attached to. I wouldn't trade it for any e-book. Now walking happens often. 
Edited by TheDilettante - 13 years ago
purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: TheDilettante

Aah! Now you two. Don't start with hamare zamane mein. Remember! it irked us when our parents said it to us and their parents to them.πŸ˜†

Groucho and Arjun, all the things you mentioned happen today too. Well! letter writing may be not because e-mails are just too easy and convenient and it's really tough to argue in favor of letters  when kids today throw 'save trees' argument. I still write when I send cards.

I agree that reading books on Kindle is so convenient but taking a whiff of new and old book while reading is something I'm attached to. I wouldn't trade it for any e-book. Now walking happens often. 

Agreed.. it's not that bad yet.. my daughter does read a lot and plays outside when time and weather permits.. πŸ˜Š

BTW my mom did complain when I played outside for too long or finished reading the whole book in one sitting ignoring everything around meπŸ˜‰ .... so parents will be parents.. iss zamaane ke ho ya phir puraane zamaane ke ho... πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
groucho thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheDilettante

Well I can't speak for Arjun but I am from that era..................however I promise not to use that terminologyπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰. My children would probably agree with you on hamare zamane mein. Happily they still read and walk and yes you are right emails have become easier than letter writing.......
For a person who commented on what we wrote you are doing well.........cards!!πŸ˜‰ Another ritual almost forgotten.πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and you still send them.....Bravo!!
ThatOneGuy thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

But kids keep playing with cellphone all day long even when they are not expecting any calls from friends and all ............πŸ˜†

Well I don't...I mostly use it for texting, in which case it has nothing to do with raditiation and stuff πŸ˜• ...