Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: Summer3

I thought the book implies that Jesus was having an affair with Mary Magdelene, all along he has been depicted as being single.

The book implies that Jesus may have borne children with Mary Magdalene. It does not imply it as an affair or illicit relationship, but a proper respectable relationship.

Also the Bible depicts him as single, because the gospels in the Bible depict him as single. There were literally hundreds of Gospels written about Jesus of Nazareth. Many of them alluded to Mary Magdalene being a wife or a companion. The council of Nicaea chose which gospels would make the Bible and burned several others. It is only through archaeological discovery that counter canonical gospels were found.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

"Do not take the Lord's name in vain" is one of the ten commandments.---<-in Old Testament ? There is also the association of Jesus with the holy Trinity. Thus most Christian denominations thusly are uncomfortable naming their kids Jesus, and frown upon it. Latin Catholicism however views the usage of Jesus as a name differently.

As per my knowledge,lots of christains using Biblical names..Jesus was a Jew and that was his Hebrew name ..and people using jesus ,spanish,latin n other names.

Hinduism has no such prohibition thats why we see not just people named after Gods but people saying "Hey Ram!" etc which would fall under taking the Lord's name in vain. Mohammad is a prophet and not God,--Prophets are not gods,Me 2 thinking same...but there are millions of people worshiping these prophets in this world.... nor is he part of any Trinity like divine vs human debate. Hence, Muslims have no problems naming their children after the prophet.

However, due to the subcontinental influence you will see even people of Abrahamic faith break commandment by saying things like "ya Allah" "Oh Jesus!" etc. I'm not sure how Muslims view the commandments though.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Summer3

Maharaj ji, in India sab naam chalega.😆

Yaaa...We can put any God's or prophet name....Cos the name nothing do with any god or pht., god is alive when you are alive.... If you are not alive, how can your God be alive? ...ur God is urs.... If you are dead, your God is dead... if you are alive, ur God is alive....ur God cannot be more than you, becos your God is your innermost core of being..😊

Edited by Believe - 13 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Yes the Ten Commandments are part of the original Pentateuch, the Old Testament.

The Hebrew name for Jesus is Yeshua. Jesus is the anglicized version. Latin pronunciation says the J as H.

Most Christian names are Biblical names. There are over 2000 Biblical names based on names given in the Bible. Biblical names are not always holy, but often referent to Biblical characters. They are not equated to God either.

Hebrew names are based on the ancient Hebrew language. My name is Hebrew. The name Sarah is the anglicized Biblical derivative.

Many Judeo-Christian names also transfer to Arabic/Islamic

Joseph - Yusuf
Job - Ayub
Ishmael - Ismail

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

The book implies that Jesus may have borne children with Mary Magdalene. It does not imply it as an affair or illicit relationship, but a proper respectable relationship.

Also the Bible depicts him as single, because the gospels in the Bible depict him as single. There were literally hundreds of Gospels written about Jesus of Nazareth. Many of them alluded to Mary Magdalene being a wife or a companion. The council of Nicaea chose which gospels would make the Bible and burned several others. It is only through archaeological discovery that counter canonical gospels were found.

Well quite true about the Bible and it is said that certain sections have been torn off. There are some very old bibles in minature form too, which covers points about other religions.
Personally I do not think it matters whether Jesus was married or not, but I guess certain Churches view it differently.

I cam across an interesting article about Mary Magdalene that suggests she was not a low women but a very intelligent disciple

Mary Magdalene, Sketch by Da Vinci

http://atheism.about.com/od/biblepeoplenewtestament/p/MaryMagdalene.htm

"Mary Magdalene is mentioned in the lists of Jesus' female companions that appear in Mark, Matthew, and Luke. Some believe that Mary Magdalene may have been an important figure among the female disciples, perhaps even their leader and a member of Jesus' inner circle of disciples — but not, apparently, to the degree of the 12 apostles. There is no textual evidence to allow for any definitive conclusions, though."

"Mary Magdalene's role in the canonical gospels is small; in noncanonical gospels like Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Philip and the Acts of Peter, she plays a prominent role — often asking intelligent questions when all the other disciples are confused. Jesus is depicted as loving her more than any of the others because of her understanding. Some readers have interpreted Jesus "love" here as physical, not just spiritual, and hence that Jeusa and Mary Magdalene were intimate — if not married."

xobile thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I think there is a fine line between blatant disrespect towards a belief and having a questioning outlook towards certain beliefs. The problem that occurs is when a group of people determine based on their genuine beliefs that other people should be excluded from worship or are below religious standards. While turning up at a place of religious worship in a bikini is scandalous to one extreme - many religious groups are guilty of being judgmental to the extreme. There is a serious problem in faith when someone who is not necessarily disrespectful, but has a minor difference of perception has to feel excluded from faith or that their faith is not good enough. Irrational stringency in faith and these faith based dress codes is what pushes many youth or skeptics away from faith and some into the other extreme form of rebellion.

"I think there is a fine line between blatant disrespect towards a belief and having a questioning outlook towards certain beliefs."

I would present the dichotomy differently: religion versus tradition, where modesty is the principle preached by religion and ethnic or formal clothing is the traditional practice.

A religious environment rightly requires decency and other marks of respect (such as going barefoot or covering the head) from visitors. But to extend that to demand formal, traditional or ethnic clothing is superfluous. Adhering to Hindu religious requirements is not the same as adopting Indian culture and outfits. As Dia's experience tells us, her mandir has no problem with her dressing in skinny jeans and a top when she's rushing back from uni - what matters is that she is decently dressed, not Indianly dressed.

As you say, it is problematic when religious people get more involved in the cultural trappings of their religion and shun those who have genuine beliefs but do not dress, eat or speak in the "appropriate" way. The Epikos Church is doing a good job by highlighting this contrast between religion and culture. Jesus, if he was alive today, would not need to dress like a monk to lead a virtuous and decent life. He'd be fine in jeans.

Sikhism and Islam, however, seem to have a dress code as part of their religious -not cultural- requirements. My knowledge of these religions is very limited but if the fact is that Sikhs are supposed to leave their hair uncut and if Islam requires women to cover all but their face in public, then those requirements are just as much part of the religion as any other preaching. In that case the religion should not relax its rules just to avoid driving people away from faith. The religious community should be honest about its dress code and justify it as well as it can.

Edited by xobile - 13 years ago
petticoat thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
One of the most controversial verses for me in the bible(which I do not follow as well) is that a woman should cover her head in church. In india, they drag the pallu of the saree/dupatta over their head and europeans used hats.

I dont think covering my head is as important as religious beliefs are.

I remember sitting in a new year eve mass where my dad was frowning at a girl dressed in strapless gown. Not jsut my dad, a whole bunch of people were frowning at her. It has to do more with the way society views what is acceptable wear over what a religion dictates. I dont see anyone making a big deal over appropriate church wear atleast in the Midwest.

Da Vinci code is a work of fiction that is terribly messed up.
Edited by bandicoot - 13 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
..Edited by blue-ice - 13 years ago
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
OK, as a lot of you know, I am an atheist. But I would like to put myself in the position of a theist to understand the situation. What is the point of worshiping a heavenly, spiritual entity and a faith that does not give me the basic freedom to choose my own outfits? Besides, what does an outfit have to do with religion anyways?  How do I become less respectful to the gods?

Another thing I would like to say: People always use the infamous example of how Islam restricts the clothing options of women. Islam never imposed anything upon what women should wear(in fact Islam is the most liberal religion in terms of women equality) ie there's no written edict or anything about the veiling of women etc, at least from the ancient religious texts(from what I know). In fact, the burqa and harem are pre-Islamic Persian/Arabic institutions set up by possible chauvinists(this is my assumption), and as the Islamic realm grew into the political sector, the imams etc started incorporating these principles into the religion in order to consolidate their power over the territory. Even the Prophet's great-granddaughter ridiculed the veil and went out in public without the veil, saying that God has given her a pretty face and she desires to show it to everyone.

OK, I have wandered off the topic at hand, so I'll stop here.😆
Edited by debayon - 13 years ago
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: bandicoot

One of the most controversial verses for me in the bible(which I do not follow as well) is that a woman should cover her head in church. In india, they drag the pallu of the saree/dupatta over their head and europeans used hats.

I dont think covering my head is as important as religious beliefs are.

I remember sitting in a new year eve mass where my dad was frowning at a girl dressed in strapless gown. Not jsut my dad, a whole bunch of people were frowning at her. It has to do more with the way society views what is acceptable wear over what a religion dictates. I dont see anyone making a big deal over appropriate church wear atleast in the Midwest.

Da Vinci code is a work of fiction that is terribly messed up.

I totally agree with that..

Coming to the topic, I would not like to call it a "religion" if I don't have a freedom to wear what I want 😛  ..

How does wearing a bikini or a saree affect the faith, spiritual whatever you have in you're heart? This is all imposed by the society and I am not accountable to anyone but me and my mom/dad. I might be "well- dressed" (traditional wear) during occasions or festivals, sometimes because of my mom, or maybe for a change or if the dress looks pretty.. but that doesn't change anything I believe in.

Previous
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Next