Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Rindam beautifully described . Great job !! 👏
anjali.nair thumbnail
i agree with vishesh to some extend but the culture in buniyaad and humlog is also limited to only few. india is diverse and most of the things shown on these tv shows depict our culture to an extend.

people are basically same but the mentality change according to culture and class. take for instance hema malini. she is not dharmendra's legal wife but she is still referred to as his wife because she is part of page 3 culture. if this was a situation in middle class household then a woman would think twice before taking such a step. now coming to villages there are cases where a woman is forced to marry two men for obvious reasons.

there were gay bars in bangalore in late 80s. i have seen women in really short skirts and tank tops in bandra (mumbai). if you are in pali hill or malabar hill no one would raise eyebrows. but if you wear the same on an ordinary street be ready for despicable glances. so as i said before people are the same but their outlook changes with culture change and class.
Edited by bluepink - 18 years ago
ashley1 thumbnail
Its not real or fake. If you wanna see the real culture of someone, you need to go live within them & not agree to what the media says. And don't even care about the Indian dramas, they are just ONE PERSON's THOUGHT PROCESS...the script writer. 😡 I hate 80% of these dramas, & still watch them, because English programmes are usually too dirty to watch with the parents in the living room.   
Aparna_BD thumbnail
I too agree with Vishes . Although serials mentioned - Humlog , Buniyaad reflect only a certain section and that too 20 years ago !!
dare_dis_devil thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dashing Boy

it's 100% fake!!!!!!!! none of the two medias reflecting our culture, they r just blindly trying to copy west.

xaktly...agree wid dis totally!!!

n not only in terms of modernity, but seriously evn d kinda rituals n ceremonies they show on teevee is like.....outrageous n totally bizzare....

anjali.nair thumbnail

Originally posted by: dare_dis_devil

n not only in terms of modernity, but seriously evn d kinda rituals n ceremonies they show on teevee is like.....outrageous n totally bizzare....

i don't think the rituals n ceremonies are outrageous. infact i think that's the only thing where they show accuracy to an extend.😛
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: bluepink

i don't think the rituals n ceremonies are outrageous. infact i think that's the only thing where they show accuracy to an extend.😛

I agree with bluepink , i don't know what you are reffering to as bizzare and outrageous. But those ceratinly very close to reality . In my opinion life isn't 100% removed from reality on TV . Like i said its exxagerated not all fake.
Only thing thats highly stupid are the medical , legal and police work shown on T.V . There's never any reserach in it .
SuperDuper01 thumbnail
Yeh exactLy.............Wht ever they display iz completely Fake......... I hav read many books abt the culture of India.........and Even The BOOK "GEETA" In that book i found that there was written that their true culture adds PARDA too.......but juz look wht they wear, wht ever they do in drama's is juz fake and nothing more than that and that iz the main thing which is spolling our culture too and their own culture too......that is the basic reason y we r far away frm Reallity And Success..........but to wht use we watch that Stupid indian dramas..........the reason that i think iz there dressing, and freeness..........thats it.......the way they talk wid their parents..........huh! thats sooo stupid.......i mean k no body who lives in India can imagine to talk like that or to have a baby before marriage......Lolz.........
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sania_Hitler

Yeh exactLy.............Wht ever they display iz completely Fake......... I hav read many books abt the culture of India.........and Even The BOOK "GEETA" In that book i found that there was written that their true culture adds PARDA too.......but juz look wht they wear, wht ever they do in drama's is juz fake and nothing more than that and that iz the main thing which is spolling our culture too and their own culture too......that is the basic reason y we r far away frm Reallity And Success..........but to wht use we watch that Stupid indian dramas..........the reason that i think iz there dressing, and freeness..........thats it.......the way they talk wid their parents..........huh! thats sooo stupid.......i mean k no body who lives in India can imagine to talk like that or to have a baby before marriage......Lolz.........

Sania it seems you are highly confused about any of these views and absolutely incorrect. I'd love to know the names of the books you have read ( as i am voracious reader and then we can disccuss )
Now are you talking about our holy book "Bhagwad Geeta " and assuming we have parda too ?
Let me tell you Hindu civilasation glorified the sensual body .  According to Kamasutra , Vatsayana- Kama (Sexual desire) is one of the ways to reach mokhsa
The Shivalinga, a phallic symbol of the deity Shiva in sexual union with his consort, goddess Parvati, is worshipped all over India. Lord Rama and his wife Seetha may be glorified for their sense of duty and fidelity, but India is also the land of Krishna, celebrated for his indulgences with beauties- gopi's and our Draupadi who had 5 husbands !!

Temple sculptures of Hindu deities seek neither to conceal any body parts nor even censor their proportions. Depictions of Hindu gods and goddesses are usually of graceful, sensual proportions, the men long limbed and athletic, the women with slim waists and fulsome bodies. Stone figurines of divinities and mortals at the 10th century Khajuraho temples in Madhya Pradesh depict a variety of sexual unions, .
 The average Hindu was conditioned to accept the body and sexuality as natural aspects of the cycle of birth and death.
Hindu cultures came under pressure from Buddhist and Jain teachings that advocated physical and sexual renunciation. During the Mughal rule of the subcontinent (1556-1707), sexuality was put under purdah (veil) and women further withdrew from the public domain.😔
Next came colonization by the British , with their Victorian prudery and their efforts to civilise the "sexually excotic natives" Victorian prudery led to the confusion and sexuality, which had enjoyed abundant expression in the enviorment for centuries, suddenly found itself choked. Caught between many worlds, its natural growth became warped/ Thats when came the copying the Western culture !
And something i forgot to add our great Father of the Nation - Mahatma Gandhi - " he said lets tear down the purdah "👏(these will be many of hundreds of things we'll for ever be gratefull you, Bapu)

Therefore , now if you look at the dress sense , many changes have come since 1947 . Although Culture in India has progressed and is sometime confused .But in defense of those few people in India in the Big Metros , coming from modern societies . They are confortable with what their wear - sleevelss top and Jeans or women who wear low cut blouse and Saree.The rural India remains the same and conservative . If we are talking about promiscuity , its subtle and not rampant , so happens in some families . Even kids disrespecting their parents this too happens in some families .....but not all !!

So the bottom line is that our TV shows , show india exxagerated !!

Also i'd like to advise you not to insult and hurt people's feelings by making comments like "
spolling our culture too and their own culture too......that is the basic reason y we r far away frm Reallity And Success..........but to wht use we watch that Stupid indian dramas....

This can be misinterptated in many way . To me it sounds like you are accusing Indian drama of influencing and spoiling your culture.
Also we Indians are not far from reality or not succesfull !!

Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
sizzling_souls thumbnail
i 101% agree with u indygirl . u haven't left anything 4 me to say. 😭 anyways... u hve lotz of strong points 😊