Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago

"Toonpur Ka Superhero" Movie Review

Published on 22-12-10 04:03 PM  Number of Views: 268  
Toonpur Ka Superhero

Director: Kirit Khurana
Cast: Ajay Devgn, Kajol, Ameya Pandya, Chinky Jaiswal
Rating: Three and a half (***1/2)
Advice: Total enter'toon'ment! An apt family outing this festive season.

Toonpur Ka Superhero takes you away from the daily hassles, traffic jams, deadlines and soaring onion prices. And it also makes for a great outing with your kids. Well, what better bargain can you get for
a cinema ticket? This film is total enter'toon'ment.

Welcome to the action-packed world of superstar Adiya Kumar (Ajay Devgn) whose dangerous stunts are performed by his double while he poses for the macho close-ups. In turn he misses out his son Kabeer's
(Ameya Pandya) Sports Day and when he reaches home – he finds a very sullen Kabeer accusing him of being a fake hero. He urges his father to be a real hero.

On the other hand, far away in Toonpur – toonasurs (baddies) led by Jagaaro are torturing devtoons (the good guys). The good gang is led by knowledgeable Gyandev and the funky Parsi scientist and it comprises Bolly, the cute Bollywood fan sikh kid, Big Ben - the rotund Gujju ben serving dhoklas and also a hard drubbing with her rolling pin to her detractors, Pandu - the cop, Guppy- the freaky musician loaded with golden ornaments, Lappy- the geeky South Indian and the Loveena – a Goan lass. They are perpetually at daggers drawn with the toonasurs led by menacing Jagaaro.

The good toons desire to be rescued by a superhero who will vanquish Jagaaro and restore peace to Toonpur. Bolly, the Punjabi boy suggests Aditya Kumar's name. He is assured that only his Bollywood superstar can do the honours. The toons "kidnap" Aditya accordingly and bring him to Toonpur.

The kidnap scene is most engaging what with Guppy wearing a human mask and climbing high on Pandu's shoulders – wearing a long coat and posing as a towering moneybags producer. The toon duo manages to whisk off Aditya from the film set to Toonpur. And when Aditya wakes up to find himself surrounded by his son's favourite TV toons, he believes he's become loony. But once the toons explain him the mission at hand, initially he's skeptical but later decides to take it up to redeem himself in the eyes of his young son. He wants to prove his worth to his son.

What happens eventually is that Aditya ends up confronting Jagaaro who challenges him to a computer game. A gaming console freak, Jagaaro has cunningly kidnapped Aditya's wife Priya (Kajol) and his two kids. Aditya has to play three levels of games in order to rescue each of his family members. The games with increasing levels of difficulty are easily engrossing as well as entertaining – especially for the young viewers.

The real heroes of the film are undoubtedly the well-animated toons. The flawlessly animation is indeed laudable. It is of international standards. It is fun watching this live-animation feature. The typical regional accents – like the pronounced Marathi tone of Pandu, Big Ben's gujju accent or Lappy's aiyayyo intonation – are a tad dated but the ostrich's Haryanvi accent or Loveena's Goan accent are amusing.
Ajay Devgn is totally convincing in his role in live as well as the animation portions of the film. Kajol has a miniscule role but she plays it with a becoming pizzazz – especially the scene where she tricks the monsters at the gate to tell her the right entry - is most impressive. Ameya Pandya as their son is cute.
Mubeen Farooqi's witty lines like – Guppy lamenting the loss of one of his many golden chains singing 'Chain(as in the necklace) bina chain kahan re…' or each of devtoons displaying his guns as my toon gun, umbrella gun, bailan(rolling pin) gun – Aditya Kumar just winking and saying "Devgun!" – spices up the proceedings.

On the whole a laudable live-animation enterprise by the makers. Director Kirit Khurana almost pulls off a coup with this film - only if Raagi Bhatnagar's story and screenplay had been racier in the first half which drags on a bit in establishing the characters. Also Anu Malik's music lacks the punch that could have had at least one hummable number. But for technical excellence and the family values that the film packs
in – it makes for an ideal watch this X'Mas.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dilwali89 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
TFS, I'll go see this one for Ajay & Kajol.
-Anjaani- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
I hope it does well at BO! Best of luck to TKS team👍🏼!
Abbyviv thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Def going to watch it for Kajol and Ajay .. that's a great review :D 
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
I hope this movie does well for Ajay-Kajol!

Faridoon says:
@Faridoon_S Faridoon Shahryar
Toonpur Ka Superhero has an interesting n engrossing climax thats quite thrilling n fun to watch...
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
The tables have turned looks like TKS are getting good reviews
^^^

NOT EXACTLY

Movie Review: Toonpur Ka Superhero is a Golmaal of cartoons

Gaurav Malani, TNN, Dec 23, 2010, 01.24pm IST
Email this article
Save this article
My Saved articles
Reduce font size
Increase font size
Share on Hotklix
Share on Messenger
Share on Facebook
Share on Yahoo Buzz!
Hotklix Digg
Google Bookmarks StumbleUpon
Reddit Newsvine
Live Bookmarks Technorati
Yahoo Bookmarks Blogmarks
Del.icio.us ApnaCircle
Tags:Toonpur Ka Superhero|Kireet Khurana|kajol|Ajay Devgn
A still from Toonpur Ka Superhero More Pics
Ajay Devgn has often put in animated acts in his now-popular slapstick brand of comedy. Ironically his first stint with fulltime animation is not as dynamic as one would have expected it to be. While the animated characters are technically designed to three-dimensional perfection, all of them remain hollow from the writing point of view with one-dimensional characterizations. So after making a cartoon of himself in Golmaal, here Devgn presents us with a Golmaal of cartoons.

Toonpur is the land of cartoons where the Devtoons (good cartoons) and the Toonasurs (bad cartoons) are constantly fighting each other. Filmstar Aditya (Ajay Devgn) is the matinee idol of Devtoons and they wish to seek his help. Devtoons kidnap and bring Aditya to Toonpur and request their screen-god to fight their enemies. But the onscreen action hero Aditya has no heroism off the screen.

Too many caricatures jam the screen space in this Space Jam styled live action-animation feature, adding colours to the screen but not the script. So you have a Gandalf look-alike village head, an AK Hangal sound-alike Emperor, a Gujarati housewife Big Ben, a Pandu Havaldar, a blonde and beautiful Loveena, a Parsi scientist and the most 'inspiring' amongst them all ' the 'golden' voiced Guppy (clearly modeled on the lines of composer Bappi Lahiri). There are so many of them that when Sanjay Dutt introduces each in a rapid-fire preface, you hardly get to know who's who of Toonpur.

While the real world and the cartoon world do not coexist in the film, there are no set boundaries between the two either. Ajay Devgn's relocation from one domain to other is never clearly defined. But then again Devgn's assimilation in the animated arena is so seamless and picture perfect that you don't complain on the missing transit. The live action-animation integration by Kireet Khurana is beautifully done and remains flawless in every frame. What the debutante director has achieved technically is commendable.

But as much as the animated characters continue to be in the same attire throughout the film, they also carry on the same attitude all through. None are explored beyond their boundaries as they continue to crack the same gags through the film making them monotonous. With such a wide array of interesting animated characters in appealing colour palettes, there was a lot more scope for the film to be wittier and funnier. While dialogues and music play an important part to add life to any animation film, both end up being lackluster here.

Despite employing a live action-animation format, the focus throughout is to exaggerate the super-heroism of Ajay Devgn and in process the animated avatars kinda take backseat. He takes the spotlight to such an extent that every other actor, including even Kajol, end up doing mere special appearances. While the kids could have contributed to good measure in a genre like this, even they remain underutilized. If nothing else, at least the animated antagonist could have been a strong opponent to the hero. Sadly there is no buildup or background account to this villain who is instantaneously introduced in the final reels for the concluding combat.

The screenplay fails to evade classic clichs like the villain kidnapping the hero's family in the climax. The videogame mode final fight isn't bad but the viewer is no more Aparachit to Matrix stunts and Mummy styled special effects. And one wonders what a busty-babe caricature is doing in a film targeted largely at children?

Ajay Devgn is decent but kajol gets no scope. The animated characters are adorable though not exploited to their potential. Guppy and Big Ben are funny while the Sardar kid is cute. Voiceovers of yesteryear actors Johnny Walker and Jeevan are employed to amusing effect.

Toonpur Ka Superhero ends up being superb on simulation but slack on animation script-sense. This film ascertains that India is certainly 'not bad' in the animation genre but there is still time to win the 'good' tag.

Read more: Movie Review: Toonpur Ka Superhero is a Golmaal of cartoons - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Movie-Review-Toonpur-Ka-Superhero-is-a-Golmaal-of-cartoons/articleshow/7150308.cms#ixzz18wDdaoIL
Film: Toonpur Ka Superrhero (U)
Cast: Ajay Devgn, Kajol, Amey Pandya
Director: Kireet Khurana
Rating: **1/2

Kireet Khurana's cartoons are adorable but reinforce cheap stereotypes of a loud Gujarati in Big Ben, a nutty Parsi scientist, a geeky Tamilian, a timid Marathi hawaldar, a Bollywood-crazy Punjabi boy, and a horny Christian. The idea was to probably throw in the message of national integration, just in case the superhero didn't work.

The concept is fresh and reality segued with animation is a treat to watch. The film is not very amusing for the most part, and appears to have been deliberately dumbed down for a younger audience, but its short length becomes its strong point, packing enough punch to keep the kids interested till the end. Adults seeking intelligent animation can go out and take a walk, or wander into the Megamind screening (read my colleague Renuka Rao's review here). Fight sequences are done well, complete with the burning of a Toonasur effigy to mark the victory of good over evil.

Some corny dialogues like Mere paas dev gun hai make you cringe, but Devgn does a good job, never mind his tendency of going over the top in excitement. A lot of his lines are intended to be funny but fall flat. Kajol as the Vaastu-obsessed wife doesn't have much to do but is a delightful treat every time she comes on screen. The child artistes are innocently unconvincing, especially the girl.

At best, Toonpur is a kiddie flick that not many adult minds will appreciate. Let your young ones have fun this Christmas holiday. Go ahead and fix a date with the Devtoons.

PEOPLE need to get real ..when they talk abt something tht can be appreciated but cant make money...DO U GUYS seriously people are going to spend their heavy money on multiplex tickets for this film.....??? pllzz get real and face it.....we can appreciate the movie by typin with our fingers but will we spend so much money on a thing which doesnt even belong to us...

the film is enttitled to kids....what is more its giving to us in the first place.....bechare bacchhoon ki to chalti hi nahin hai.....last to last year i remember when roadside romeo was released and the kids of my uncle were trying to hard to watch it on the theatre - my uncle said - I don't have money for that S***. will get u a DVD when it comes out.....they even try harder..and then my UNCLE slapped them not to ask to waste money on a stupid movie😭😭 poor kids...and dat was the reality

my brother is an animator and he has seen much animation has become a business instead of creativity and runing the whole aspects of the animation industry...

till now we have so many FLOP movies...and if this contnues....animation movies shall be totally stopped in our country like before......we need to make small budget movie and promote them better......

and first PLZ GET THEM OFF from these BOLLYWOOD actors/actresses..its they who are HARMING the animation films and are responsible for their losses by acting and voicing in them
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: tweety_lovely

PEOPLE need to get real ..when they talk abt something tht can be appreciated but cant make money...DO U GUYS seriously people are going to spend their heavy money on multiplex tickets for this film.....??? pllzz get real and face it.....we can appreciate the movie by typin with our fingers but will we spend so much money on a thing which doesnt even belong to us...

the film is enttitled to kids....what is more its giving to us in the first place.....bechare bacchhoon ki to chalti hi nahin hai.....last to last year i remember when roadside romeo was released and the kids of my uncle were trying to hard to watch it on the theatre - my uncle said - I don't have money for that S***. will get u a DVD when it comes out.....they even try harder..and then my UNCLE slapped them not to ask to waste money on a stupid movie😭😭 poor kids...and dat was the reality

my brother is an animator and he has seen much animation has become a business instead of creativity and runing the whole aspects of the animation industry...

till now we have so many FLOP movies...and if this contnues....animation movies shall be totally stopped in our country like before......we need to make small budget movie and promote them better......

and first PLZ GET THEM OFF from these BOLLYWOOD actors/actresses..its they who are HARMING the animation films and are responsible for their losses by acting and voicing in them

Wow really? Your brother is an animator that is so cool. I agree about these animation films, Bollywood should seriously stop them because they have had all the animation films flop and they should stop wasting money.