~A Humble Beginning~ (Short Story)

spln thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello everyone!

I'm nj, and this is my first formal post on the forum. (Although, only recently, I also became a member of the Rajat Tokas AT on this forum)

I've been writing fictions on IF for almost three years now, but can't seem to recognize too many IDs here. Oh well, there's always a point to start! 😃

So anyways, without digressing further, this thread is for a short story revolving around the much ignored trio Robby-Mauli-Taposh. For one reason or another, their track gets unfairly sidelined all the time, and the actors are getting to be redundant side actors rather than parallel leads. I am not an anti-Taanu fan girl. And I'm mostly satisfied with the Taanu track - because thing is, the CVs are justifying that one couple, at least.

So this thread comes from a TL viewer, and for the TL viewers - who feel the second leads of the show are being unfairly ignored.

Or simply for those viewers who like to indulge in occasional short stories based upon characters of a show they follow =) Cause i believe every kind of fan base here has been mostly intrigued enough by the plot in store for these three...

This is my take - the characters are same as from the show - however, i may play around with descriptive details or such. Nothing major though.

And with that, I cut my crap short 😆

Enjoy reading, and please leave your feedback. Being new, and somewhat anonymous on this forum is a kind of difference for me from when I usually write on the more familiar forums here on IF. I've sort of forgotten what it was like to be a fresh new writer on the block 😆 So, comments are most needed. Please feel free to click 'like' if you do like reading the story. It helps me determine the TRP's of my written piece 😆

cheers,
nj

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

spln thumbnail

A Humble Beginning

I said to Love,

"Thou art not young, thou art not fair, 
No faery darts, no cherub air, 
Nor swan, nor dove 
Are thine; but features pitiless, 
And iron daggers of distress," 
 I said to Love.

~Thomas Hardy

He slammed the bedroom door behind himself, shut his eyes cursing in undertones, and rammed a fist into the wall; before leaning crookedly against the door, back upon it.

This, was what underlay his non-committal indifference towards relationships. All kinds - family, friends, affairs...societal interactions in general. Relationships were albatrosses. The real ones were. You carried the burden without option, and in the end they became your cross.  There was no living with them, and no living without.

As if the showdown with Mauli in the canteen had not been enough. His mother had availed just the (in)opportune moment to pull an indiscrete mommy act. Just before he had gotten the first bite of lunch inside of him.

Consequence?

Robindo Ganguli was positively incensed - to the extent that he thought his head would split wide open or something -  there was this maddening urge to hurl something really heavy, and really hard, at someone, and an empty stomach which growled for food didn't alleviate his situation at all. He hadn't been a breakfast person all his life, and today had been no exception. Then, Mauli's confrontation in the canteen had dismissed the possibility of satisfying himself with the routine fill of greasy junk (and hot tea to wash it over). But the limit was, when mother, his very own mother for god-freaking-sake, had put him into a spot before Thaaku Ma. - 'Last night was fifth in a tow that you didn't get back home until dawn Robby. Will you ever assume responsibilities like your brother?' It could have been anything but pleasant, and nothing miraculous had come to his rescue.

Nothing ever did.

Thaaku Maa had jumped the gun like she'd been sitting in wait for a prey to come along all that time. Three minutes into it, he'd compelled his mind to seek distraction, to shut out the correctional lecture. There was no way to endure one more in under an hour. He was on the brink of a temper outburst, if he didn't watch it.

A part of him was also, more than just a little bit hurt, although he refused to acknowledge that aspect of the matter as such.

Mentally then, he had engaged himself with the eternal, and solitary boon of his life - music.  Just before Mauli had barged into his otherwise uneventful day earlier that morning, he'd been listening to this Nickleback track when the temptation of trying it on the acoustic had crossed his mind. The inter college fest was coming up next month. The track appealed to him as a choice for the band's performance, and so he'd made a mental note to look up the chords. Later.

Back home, and on the dining table now, as Thaaku Maa had continued with her stern relay of wisdom and appropriateness, for his benefit, he had decided this was his perfect 'later' occasion. Busying himself with a hypothetical working out of scales and chords, he'd tuned out of her preaching channel.

A dense blunder.

For no sooner had he recalled the lyrics of the chorus (...this is how you remind me, of who I really am...), that Mauli's lengthy accusations had come back to burst his bubble all over again. A mirthless, indignant smirk escaped him before he had a chance to check it.

It couldn't have been timed worse.

Easily, it had been mistaken for a shameless defiance on his part, in the face of well wishing elders who were being concerned about him, and even if he had wished to bail himself out of the mess, there was no explaining the reality of the offending expression. So he'd resigned to keeping quiet. Unfortunately, Thaaku Maa had not followed his example. In under a minute, the low toned solemn lecture had become a melodramatic sequence that held him responsible for every persisting ill in the society, nearly. He'd toyed with the idea of zoning out a second time, but wisely not succumbed to the temptation. As far as he could have it, he preferred keeping peace. Also barring that instance, he had always held Thaaku Maa in genuine esteem. So impassively, he had borne through her part. It hadn't helped his case much. After several more minutes, when she finally seemed like she was going to take a break, he had extended his hand towards the jalfarezi and bhaat, not caring that another day he'd have whined about the distasteful Thaaku Maa exclusive menu. Not soon enough. Cause promptly, Thaaku Maa ordered his mother, by way of suggesting, that he shouldn't get lunch. As punishment.

W*F?!!!

He had looked up instantly, wondering for a fleeting second if he'd misheard. But he had not. Maa had been obliged to take the bowl away from him, not looking very comfortable about it, but that hadn't made up at all.

Like really? Now they were going to starve him? For what? What exactly had he done that was so out of line? And what was he, a precocious 8 year old back to primary school? 'Now off to your room and be sorry about your misbehavior for once. Neelu should stop hoping you will become anything like your Anu Da. Don't you feel a moment of remorse Robindo?'

That had done it! In response to those words, he had plainly glared back at Thaaku Maa, without caring how wrong it was or what she'd think, or worse, how she'd punish him next, for this. He'd been quite besides himself for no good of his own, and with a loud thud, as he'd gotten to his feet, his chair had crashed upon the pristine marble floor. The unused white napkin from his lap, he had tossed with an untamed fury, such that it went flying into the jug of iced water. With that he had strode out of the dining hall.

And here he was now. Locked up in his personal royal 'suite-cell', in this beyond enormous Ganguli 'jailhouse' mansion. Once again, at the mad rush of blood to his head, he rammed a fist into the wall. Before letting out a string of choice curses at no one and nothing in particular, but everyone and everything in general.

Finally, he just dropped on his bed, face down into the teasing softness of midnight blue satin covers, legs dangling over the edge of the ornate four poster bed. Robby raked hands through his back hair, and held them in fistfuls to regain something of the lost composure. Getting angry or upset was not his thing. He had never let either of them be his thing. He knew better than that, he had known better than that when he was just a kid eight years ago. 

'...insensitive...disgusting...schmuck...' among other names she had called him, in front of half the college - juniors, seniors, even the labor staff. Not one among whom could stand up to him on their own if their life depended on it. Let alone insult him as blatantly. What business did she have humiliating him publicly like that anyways? Who the hell did she think she was? Daughter of the college principal, sure!  The same college, which relied for its elementary existence on his father's funds.

Not that it had ever mattered to him that way. His was a life of comfort, living off the easy and unrestrained cash inflow. People told him, often grudgingly, that he didn't value it for its worth. Perhaps, because he'd never seen another way of living. But perhaps, he simply did not care about money and all? Not that much anyways...?

He was the assumed black sheep in this flawless Ganguli lineage, of that he had no doubt. And although in the depth of his heart he would never wish to disgrace his family name, he had never truly had a conscience awakening to change himself as a person. Robindo Ganguly was comfortable being Robby. He liked being easy and outgoing, fun loving and never crazily serious about anything at all, jesting - even if he was mildly guilty about occasionally over doing it - in general, a charmer. And no matter what responsibility lectures whoever chose to dish out his way, he wasn't going to give away his preferred lifestyle to preset goals and what-not morals and unwanted restrains of a default career. Not without a fight. This was his unique existence. And personally, he'd never have it any other way. Agreed, he was different from all the business oriented men in his family. What was so wrong about being different?

Today, even she'd said it... 'Aren't you ashamed of yourself when you look at Anurag?'

It had pinched him, her words. She wasn't the first one, and far from the only one, who had told him as much. But coming from her, it had wounded his pride. Or ego, as she chose to call it. It disturbed him even more that he couldn't pin down the exact reason as to why her words, annoyingly patronizing as everyone else who thought it was there business to meddle with his affairs, actually affected him.  Heck she'd not even apologized when her misconception had been cleared by the same girl she had been protecting from him. The girl had told her, in curt displeasure, that he, Robby, was helping her with the dance steps, and not misbehaving. Mauli had only narrowed eyes at him, lined with raw disgust, like that one fact did nothing to change her opinion. Like she wasn't even convincingly sold out on the girl's narration of facts.

But the most misplaced part of that entire encounter had been his own silent bearing of it. Not only had he said not a word, in defense or otherwise, he had been far from treating her to his characteristic sneers and scoffs, in reaction to such a trite display of righteousness. Because he had been, most unlike himself, offended by her presumptions for real. It had bothered him, involuntarily, that she thought so lowly of him.

Yet, who didn't? Reputation had its means to travel places. And he'd never been the one to care. Speculations were meant to be rife and in fact, he had never made a secret of enjoying all the attention he got. Why was it any different in this case?

Feeling suffocated currently, as his warm breath pressed onto the sheets became increasingly moist, he turned around on the bed, so that he was now lying upon his back. Staring at the elegant (and lackluster in his opinion) pastel ceiling engravings. It remained like that, silent and still, until he could actually hear the steady rhythm of his own breathing, and in a strange way, it calmed him down from all the nerves that had been inexplicably worked up.

Minutes later, he slid off the bed feeling much lighter, and walked over to the wall with the large glass window. He threw open the curtains in one swift tug, and then pushed open the windows. Reaching out for his precious acoustic, he nestled himself in his favorite spot on the window sill.

And inattentively, as he plucked at the strings in disjoint notes and chords, he decided he was giving the matter too much thought. The chords gradually gained rhythm, encouraged. Soon, he was strumming a tune altogether familiar, as his mind idly wandered to thoughts and places and people - none of consequence. He felt completely at peace with himself again.

Or maybe not, he thought frowning and grinning at once as his stomach produced a loud rumbling to get his attention.

He'd almost forgotten how utterly famished he was. He had to get out of the house. Grab a couple burgers or something, and maybe go out clubbing after that. Yes. That sounded like a plan. Even as it didn't have his spirits absolutely soaring, the idea of going out one more evening, especially this evening, felt undeniably welcome.

He dug into the baggy denims for his cell, and then flicked through the phone book.

Before finally deciding who he wanted for company tonight.

ps: The verse above, as credited, is by Thomas Hardy.

The song referred to can be be checked out on this link (if you haven't already heard it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jODXM3wsbLQ

Edited by spln - 13 years ago
spln thumbnail
~reserved for second chapter (which may be the last one also)~
spln thumbnail
reserved, one more, just in case.
saomom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nice!  You definitely have a talent for writing!  
sanchita1410 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
spln u are a wonderful writer. I didn't read any of ur ffs earlier but reading it I can say u are amazing. I have a request since u said it will be a short story plz write a ff on Robi. Here a lot ffs are there but all are of Taanu. No ffs is for Robi. So I request u to write a ff for Robi. When I will open my next thread I will reserve a space at first page for the links of ffs and stories.
saomom thumbnail
Any way we can get you to post links to your other FF?  I'm always up for a good story... :)
spln thumbnail

Originally posted by: saomom

Nice!  You definitely have a talent for writing!  

Thanks! 😳 I'm glad you like it!

Originally posted by: saomom

Any way we can get you to post links to your other FF?  I'm always up for a good story... :)

Sure! Actually the link in my signature space (which reads Weaver's Den) is of the thread that archives all of my writings on IF. There's nothingmore based on TL though, this is my absolute first. But if you do consider reading other stuff, i'd love to hear back from you on what you thought!=)

spln thumbnail

Originally posted by: sanchitaroy

spln u are a wonderful writer. I didn't read any of ur ffs earlier but reading it I can say u are amazing. I have a request since u said it will be a short story plz write a ff on Robi. Here a lot ffs are there but all are of Taanu. No ffs is for Robi. So I request u to write a ff for Robi. When I will open my next thread I will reserve a space at first page for the links of ffs and stories.

Thanks sanchita! 🤗 and please call me nj - spln sounds so impersonal! 😆

I'm a tediously slow person when it comes to updating stories an such, and so i try to maintain th writing of only one long FF at a time, if i can help it. currently, its a DMG FF i'm working on... so i can't promise a robi FF here, but if at all i get a fresh idea of anything that become a potential story, you are sure to see it here on the forum in writing! 😃 thanks again for the comments. I'm going to try and write up more short stories on the three of them as the show continues to proceed for sure! [cause from the way it looks right now, the CVs wontgive us much anytime soon :| ]

cheers,
nj
saomom thumbnail

Originally posted by: spln

Thanks! 😳 I'm glad you like it!

Sure! Actually the link in my signature space (which reads Weaver's Den) is of the thread that archives all of my writings on IF. There's nothingmore based on TL though, this is my absolute first. But if you do consider reading other stuff, i'd love to hear back from you on what you thought!=)

Got it.  Thanks!  had to enable the signatures to see it... :)