Can Good-Looks Influence The Audience?

somone999 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
This question often ponders in my mind. I thought of putting it forward to analyze what everybody else thinks about it.

We have had good-looking contestants in Indian Idol and they have stayed for a longer period of time, while those who are not so good-looking got eliminated early.

Is it just a misconception, false suspicion or is it a reality? Does a good-looking singer actually attract the audience more or can a singer just rely on his/her singing to attract others rather than looks?

What is your take on this thought, do share in. Thanks.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
It is reality. What pleases the eyes of the voting population stays and what doesn't leaves. Unfortunately good looks don't translate into equally talented contestants.
lily1991 thumbnail
Tia was a good combination of good looks and talent. I love her angelic face.
Namrata_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i think it does affect the voting system because a contestant who looks good and has good stage appearance, generally people would want to vote for them.
just my opinion
thewiseone thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

It is reality. What pleases the eyes of the voting population stays and what doesn't leaves. Unfortunately good looks don't translate into equally talented contestants.

and what about "what pleases the ears?" lol.

i agree that to some extent looks do play a role, but only early on in the competition when we do not know the contestants and their potential well enough. when we had top 13, we heard like only 2 songs from a contestant at that point. so if a contestant made a mistake in top 13, we do not know what to blame it on. did he/she just have a bad day or is he/she really that bad? we dont know this cuz we havent seen enough performances to judge that. so we tend to resort to the only other option we have and that is looks (im assuming no other factors like regionalism and prejudice are playing a role here.). as messed up as it is, we as humans are slightly biased towards good looking ppl. that is just human nature. lol. 😛(and im not saying this, psychology does. lol.) so at this point, the good looking ppl will get a second chance (assuming they made a mistake) and the not so good-looking ones leave (assuming they also made a mistake).

But as the competition progresses, we as audience get to know the contestants much more. we know how they sing, and if they almost always sing well or bad. so at this point, we have more than looks to resort too. if a contestant makes a mistake here like in top 5 or sumthing, we think back and see if he/she is always like this or is it just this day (which is far more a reliable way of judging than looks). and based on this, we vote.

so whether looks play a role or not depends on how far we are in the competition. so at this point in indian idol now, i do not think looks are playing any role. of course there are other things, like regionalism and prejudice etc. but that is a whole different story. lol. u asked me about the role of looks, i told u about the role of looks. lol.😆

and im speaking generally here. of course, not everyone is alike and not everyone thinks alike. this is just a generalization. apologies for the long post. had so much to say.😳
rths thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
yes and no.actually, bhoomi and swaroop are normal lookers,but here they are in top 4. so basically what I want to say is various reasons influence the audience apart from good looks ,like regionalism,emotional aspects of contestants,lastly the true talent.😊
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: thewiseone

and what about "what pleases the ears?" lol.

if that mattered as much as it should, most of us wouldn't be here complaining about voting trends! 😆
Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 13 years ago
rths thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

if that mattered as much as it should, most of us wouldn't be here complaining about voting trends! 😆

well said 👏😆
thewiseone thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

touche!😆

Edited by thewiseone - 13 years ago
somone999 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I feel that Good-Looks do influence the audience, which is not fair actually. Basically, singing should be the priority and the looks should be secondary.
I think that If a person is singing excellently, his talent automatically attracts you towards that particular singer.
But, yes, the trend in votes has proved the fact that the audience does feel that Good Looks is more important than Good Singing, which is a sad tragedy.