•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago
How you compare the current crop of singers with the old singers like Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Mukesh, Manna Dey..Do any of the current singers matches the class of the old ones...or Any of the current ones are better than old ones...or Any of our current contestants are in the same class as old ones...What is the difference in the quality of voice between the old and the new..Whom do you idolize..old or new ones..
Even though it is debateable whether the new singers are better than the old ones, u must consider the fact that the oldies such as kishore and rafi sahib have made such a tremendous impact on our music and how we feel about it. keeping that in mind, the solution is clear that another rafi, kishore or manna dey will not be born. stars will come and go, but not many of them will be remembered 40 years from now like these legends have.

however...there is the fact that there is far more competition now than there was in those times. that's why i have no answer.

Toronto Loves SRGMP!
Those were the greatest gifts to playback music.Dont forget to add Talat Saa'b to the list of old greats.Perhaps Sonu Nigam is the only one among present singers who may rule for long and be remembered for long.
There wont be another Lata or Asha ever.
May I extend this discussion to music composers as well?
Are you content with the music we are being fed?
Do you think LP, KA, Salil Chaudhary , Pancham da etc. were better or same.
Please every one give his opinion.
Yes I agree about singers, we had a better lot yesteraday , why and how it happened that there is no another Asha or Kishore in sight is very difficult to understand .
Because we do have some very trained singers today.
But are they as gifted as Asha ji ?
Also I find it intriguing, while the death of Pancham glorified him to immortality , other music composers like Salil da, even Sachin da & Kalyan ji didn't get a fair treatment after death.
What do you all think is the reason???
PLEASE JOIN IN...........
Sonu Nigam is probably the only one who can come close to the class of Rafi, Kishore Kumar, and Mukesh. I feel that no female singer is even close to Lataji and Ashaji. Only Shreya Goshal is the best among contemporaries.