Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
The First Guru is Born

By: Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev 

On days when the moon is full, its vibration, its feel, is very different than on other days. For a spiritual seeker, this day is like a boon from nature. Earlier, Guru Pournami was among the most important festive occasions in the country. Over time, it got relegated to the background due to ignorance and so fewer people were aware of its great significance. However, it is now coming back slowly into prominence with more seekers looking for spiritual guidance.

Guru Pournami is the day the first guru was born. Once upon a time, Shiva attained and went into intense ecstatic dance on the Himalayas. When we say Shiva, in the yogic culture, we do not refer to him as a god. He is seen as the Adiyogi, or the first yogi. When his ecstasy became beyond movement, he became still. When it allowed him some movement, he danced wildly. People saw that he was experiencing something that they were unable to fathom. They came, waited and left because Shiva was oblivious of other people's presence.

Seven people hung on. These seven people were insistent that they must learn from him. Shiva ignored them. They pleaded, "We want to know what you know." Shiva dismissed them, "The way you are, you are not going to know, ever. You need to prepare. Tremendous amount of preparation is needed for this. This is not entertainment." 

So they started preparing -- for days, weeks, months and years… Shiva chose to ignore them. One full moon day, after 84 years of sadhana, when the sun was shifting from the northern to southern run – which in this tradition is known as Dakshinayana – Adiyogi looked at these seven people. They had become shining receptacles of knowing. They were absolutely ripe to receive. 

Shiva could no longer ignore them. They grabbed his attention. He watched them closely for the next 28 days. When the next full moon arose, he decided to become a guru. Adiyogi transformed himself into Adi Guru. He turned south to shed his grace upon their race and the transmission of yogic science started. Because he turned south, when Shiva or the Adiyogi sits as a teacher, we call him Dakshinamurthy. The first guru was born on that day. That day is referred to as Guru Pournami.

Guru Pournami specifically is a day where there is a possibility to be receptive to the particular dimension which we refer to as the Guru -- not that it is not available on other days; the guru's grace always is.

You don't seek a guru first of all. You create a deep longing to know – a guru will happen to you. You don't seek, going about choosing who is a better guru. You just create a deep longing. What you call as guru will happen to you because guru is not a person. A guru is a certain space, a certain energy. It can only happen to you. It is not somebody you meet. It is not somebody that you shake hands with. It is not somebody that you bow down to. It is not somebody to whom you go and beg for this or that. That space, that energy which you refer to as guru will happen to you. It will overwhelm you. It will destroy you the way you are so that you will become unbound – the way the Creator intended you to be.

(Source: http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-articles/god-and-i/the-first-guru-is-born )

Debipriya thumbnail
Link of last year's Thread on 'Guru Purnima', which also has some articles on the topic 😊 :-

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1731146

pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you so much for sharing this di! I read it and felt very peaceful!

And I'm very intrigued by the story of Adi Guru/Dakshinamurthy form of Lord Shiva. They showed this in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, but they took the story, changed it in a million ways, and presented it in such a horribly different way that there is barely any resemblance. They made it look like the rishis were having a debate with Shivji and, at one point, even insulting him! They said that they wouldn't take the south facing seat because it was demeaning to them, and so Lord Shiv had to take it. I am so glad that you posted this! Thank you!
Debipriya thumbnail
@Aishu, 

Love you Dear!!! 🤗

So glad to know that they included it in DkDM!! 😊  

I really liked the story, so thought to share it with all 😊.

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Wow, it's really nice seeing a post by you after so long Debipriya, I really miss our chats a lot.🤗 How have you been?

The articles you provided are truly wonderful, I enjoyed reading about them and learning more about Guru pournima.😍 How does your family celebrate it? We just chanted the Vishnu sahasranama and went to someone's house for a satyanarayana vrat.

Thank you so much for this beautiful post, dear!
Debipriya thumbnail
Janu!!! 

Yes, it is great to be in touch with you 🤗  Will reply to your scrap soon 😃. 

I am also very happy Dear, to share the articles here 😊.

We didn't have anything special at home on Guru Purnima, just tried to spent the day by thinking about the Lord 😊. Really nice to know that you attended a Satyanarayan Vrat, it is always Blissful! 😍 

arun-deeps thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
loved the story di
Kitna sundar article hai..
so sorry was late..but was bitbusy wth d amissions n ol
but kya bgaat hai Shiva as Adi Yodi👏👏👏 or Aadi guru wala concept bahut bahut fresh laga n pasand aaya mujhe!! VERY WELL POSTED👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
n also loved how the role of Guru matters in our lives..
thanks alot..waise to is anmolpost ke liye aapko jitna thanx diya jaaye utna hi kam padega..really u took dis Guru Purmina very very seriously..m touched..n m really blessed to have u on IF  ye article hum tak pahunchaake
aap bhi kisi guru se kam nahi lagi mujhe😳🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
GOD BLESS
JAI SHRI KRISHNA! JAI SHRI RAM!

himanshuvij03 thumbnail
[youtube]  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iPQG5isqA [/youtube]

Watch this Devotional Bhajan... Shri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram

Jai Shri Ram!!
.anishaa. thumbnail
I read the Guru Poornima articles a little late but they were wonderful! Thank you for sharing :)
himanshuvij03 thumbnail
In case u r unable to see picture , I apolozise for that becuase even i don't understand why this happning...

open this link...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DCfDsU8yx1A/ThAm6BAS_8I/AAAHDs/9_KLKhSEVm4/s1600/Ram-738.jpg
Edited by himanshuvij03 - 11 years ago