Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
hey dear
why the ends are so sad in your stroy...

i think thats why u have given the title lambi judaai
as it says
saath hokar  bhi hum saath nahi hai...
meaning zinda hote hue ek dusre ke na ho sake par maut ko dono ne saathmein apnaya..... aur galae lagaya......

do write soem more stories.....

some parts were really emotional....

kuttu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hi
This too had a sad end. Will they ever be united for life rather than in death. So how many births will they have to wait for it. The emotional picture you depict in the sotires is quite touching and  the readers are left speechless. So waiting for the next installment.
bye
Rockyy_ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

A spellbinding story Ranjana.

Sarasvati and Veer story is stuck in my mind.

The story is so vivid and realistic, its like being there

watching it all unfold before your eyes, especially the

last part of the story, when Veer was set on fire and Sarasvati

begging to save him and no one would and she "Sarasvati" jumping

into the blazing fire to be with the man she love. I ask myself,

would I be able to do something like what Sarasvati did, the answer, don't know.

Take care.

RANJANA_RRJ thumbnail

Thank you Dhani, for the idea of the story. This is actually inspired by the play 'The rain and the fire' by Girish Karnad. Dhani sent me the story'.I never read or saw the play. I did see the movie made on it 'Agnivarsha'  but that story is the basic outline of the next part of 'Lambi Judai.' I have to say that I do not intend to harm anyone's religious sentiments. This story is just fiction (though some of my own, personal opinions are woven into it), and you don't have to accept anything. I am not trying to impose my views on any of you.

Hope you enjoy the next part, please ignore mistakes and lots of love from me!!

R

Part c  (13century South India)

It was a time of great drought in the  Vijayanagara empire. It had not rained for seven years. The parched land was waiting eagerly for just one drop of rain,  but Indra, the God that had the clouds in his possession, wouldn't relent. His mercy wouldn't shower over the thirsty people of Vijayanagara. The dry land showed gaping ruptures. Sand would fly all over the empire as there was nothing to hold it down, and disturb the different sacrifices being held in the empire. In six years, not one  person had dared to grow one piece of  vegetable, not even a single seed was sown for the fear of running out of water. The extreme heath, that had spread over the empire, had dried up everything and was about to dry up the only source of water. The Pampariver (Hampi river) had just enough water for one family'..and was reserved for the royalpriest.

The king had been cursed, such was the verdict of the royalpriest. And this curse was placed upon him by Indra as a punishment for the king's boasting about his empire and his wealth as he had mocked India, the King of the Gods, to be poorer than him'Vijayanagara had a flourishing trade'.healthy and green farms and fabulous water routes used for trade. But one mistake, one act of foolhardiness had taken this away. Indra had punished not only the king, but all his citizens. The only solution, as per the royalpriest's  instruction, was a sacrifice made'the purest sacrifice made by the bravest of all the citizens, for the betterment of his people. Only then would the curse of Indra be broken. Only then would the people receive their precious boon'.rain. Only then would there be prosperity in the empire.

Badi lambi judai, lambi judai
Honthon pe aaye meri jaan duhai
Hay lambi judai
Chaar dinon ka pyaar ho rabba
Badi lambi judai, lambi judai-

'Bani, where are you going?'  The maid asked her.

Bani smiled enigmatically. 'where I always go.' She answered her father's maid, her father's mistress.

Bani walked out of the house, down  the narrow path, towards the place where the last bit of water had remained.

She filled a small cup with just a few drops of water and walked towards the riverbank. As she sat down on the sandy ground, she held the cup in front of her.

Bani folded her hands in front of her and closed her eyes to invoke Indra.

She felt herself travel through time and space'passed mountains, rivers, the sun, the moon and through galaxies, leaving her body behind. She mumbled several sounds and syllables.

'Don't worry my child'the water here wont dry up. I won't let you penance go to waste.' She heard a voice echo through her mind.

'But Lord'how will this be enough?' Bani asked without even uttering one word. 'The people here have preserved it for my father and me'.they will die if they don't drink it and be killed if they will.' She asked the grand, illustrious presence in her mind.

'It will be brought to them child. Don't worry.'

'When will this end my Lord?'

'Soon my child. Soon the penance of the people will end. Soon'your wait will end.'

'My wait'My lord'I didn't understand?'

Someone chuckled. ' You do'you just don't want too. It is too painful for you to understand. Just wait my child'just wait.'

With a jerk'Bani was brought back to earth. To the dry, barren and parched land. Bani looked at the small bit of water left in the river. It had stayed the same way. The cup, that merely had a few drops of water when she came here, was filled to the rim now.

Bani stood up and emptied the cup in the water of the river. The water level rose just a small bit. It would be enough for today. Bani walked back to the place she had just vacated, bowed one last time to the river and to all the negative energies for not harming her and enduring her presence in their place, and to all the positive energies for their protection and their help.

Bani walked towards her house where she lived with her father, the royal priest, his maid and his student, Priyanvad. Bani technically lived with her father, but actually she remained far from him and his house. She had her own small hut in the back of the house. She didn't like her father's ways. As the royalpriest his power and his influence had made him powerhungry and the illusion that not God, but he was the decider of the human fate. As brilliant as her father was, as haughty was he. He himself had declared to the king that he was the purest and bravest soul in the kingdom. He himself had declared that only he could lift the curse from the empire and it was he himself that had been performing the royal ceremony for the past four years with his disciple Priyanvad. Bani didn't agree much with him, for she knew that her father was not the purest of all souls. His affair with the maid had made that clear to her when her mother was still alive. His haughtiness and thoughts that he was the best of all men and deserver of the remaining water had made it clear to Bani that he might not be the most  wicked soul of all, he also wasn't the most purest soul of all. Where her father, the royal priest, the most respected brahin in the empire was praying for water, and breaking curse with the thought that he was the most worthy candidate to do that, Bani, his daughter, prayed for her father's sins and the salvation of his soul. Because of him a lot of people had died as he didn't want to share the last drops of water. She prayed for the bravest soul to come and help those who needed help.

__

She left'..

Jai came out of his hiding. Like the previous days he had been hiding behind the rocks till she left the riverbank and went to her house. He waited for her to leave'.but as soon as she left he would wish that she would stay just a little while longer. She looked so beautiful when she was sunken deeply in her meditation'.he just couldn't get enough of watching her wrapped in a simple white cloth and rudraksh beads around her neck. Jai never had the courage to go near her. Going near her would mean death'so he would wait till she would be far away from him before he came out of his hiding.

Jai took the vessel he had hidden in a pouch with him, out. He looked around him to be sure that no one saw him as he filled the vessel with water. Quickly he covered it with the shawl he had wrapped around his shoulder when he took off'.only to be stopped by and arrow shot right in front of him. Jai looked up to see the royal priest's  disciple running towards him in the distance. Jai carefully placed the vessel in front of him, trying not to spill a single drop of the precious liquid and removed the bow he had worn on one shoulder. With his other hand he pulled out an arrow from the case on his back and shot it with a perfect aim. The disciple had to duck, to escape the arrow which gave Jai time to take the vessel and hide behind the temple-stairs. Jai left behind a cloud of dust'confusing the other man. He could only look around him with no other clue. Finally the man left and Jai could take the vessel with water to his village. More than a hundred people would wait everyday for the brave man to return with the fluids'or not to return at all.

'Bani!!' Priyanvad came running towards her. ' bani!!'

'What happened?' Bani asked while she came out of the small hut she had made for herself.

'Someone stole water from our place.'  He told her while still trying to catch his breath. A tribalboy. I saw him.'

'What?'

'Yes'I did try to stop him.' Priyanvad told her. 'But he nearly killed me.' He said, trying to salve his reputation. Archery had never been his forte, Bani knew. Nor had swordfighting been his forte. Actually'anything that he had to do on his own wasn't his forte, Bani had decided a long time ago. That was one of the reasons she didn't interact with him  that much. He needed other people to feel good about himself, even if that meant that he had to sweet talk to his teacher's daughter'or try to woo her for better future prospects.

Bani smiled and thanked the lord silently. He was right. Someone came to help the people'.finally'.

'Was he that strong?' Bani asked faking compassion.

'He was.' Priyanvad told her. 'He nearly choked me to death. If It wasn't for my fists, I would be standing here today. We need to protect the water in the river. We need to purify it first. That tribalboy has made  it impure. Then we need to station someone there.'

'I think you are right.' Bani said to him. 'so you will go there tomorrow, wont you?' She asked him sweetly.

He looked visibly upset. 'I would Bani'..but'I have so many things to do'.and your father will come home tomorrow'.i need to arrange things'I'.I'.I will'.'

'Leave it' Bani stopped him. 'I will go and protect the water. I will purify it too.'  she said, knowing that she would do no such thing. How can you purify water? How can you purify something that makes us pure'.gives up life'.

__

Jai hid behind the rocks again. She was there'meditating. She stood up suddenly and walked towards the river where she emptied her cup. Jai  knew she had the knowledge of the Veda's. As a the daughter of the royalpriest she must have had some knowledge'but Jai also knew that whatever she did right  now'.making the water level rise'.was no ordinary thing. Even for the daughter of a brahminpriest. If only he could have access to those matra's and chants. He would use it for his people who were pining for food and waiting for one drop of water. The small vessel of water he filled everyday was nearly not enough for one family, but still'twenty families somehow depended and managed with it. Jai waited for the woman to leave, but she sat there. She wasn't meditating anymore. Her brown eyes were open and looking around her. They followed the clear blue sky. The birds in the sky, flying over her head. Those memorizing, brown eyes'.he wished he could get closer to them, gaze into them..hoping to find his own image in them.

She looked so pure amidst the brown, dirty sand'.the parched land'and so unreachable. Jai didn't want her to go away, but he knew she had to. Not for him, but for the people who depended on the water he would bring them. After yesterday she might be sitting there to guard the water that is only meant for her and her father.

Jai didn't want to believe that she could be so selfish, but he didn't want to find out. He must wait till she left.

Bani looked around her. there wasn't a soul in sight. There was no one who came near the water. Bani wanted to see the person who was brave enough to defy the king's decree and her father's orders. She wanted to see the person who supposedly was strong enough to kill Priyanvad. But there was no one.

She decided to go back'the person might not come at all anymore, after being nearly caught yesterday. It would be safer too.

Bani had just near the temple when she heard the soft rustle of the sand. Swift like the wind, someone moved. She didn't need to turn around to see the person. It couldn't be anyone else than the person who had stolen the water yesterday. Bani quickly hid behind the temple and looked at a young man running near the river. He was holding a vessel in his hand.

Bani looked around her, just to make sure there was no one who could catch the man. She followed him with her eyes until he, as quick as a deer, had disappeared into the distance.

'Your wait will end too my child.' A voice echoed through her mind.

__

Bani returned home to find her father sitting in front of the house. She went to him and bowed down in front of him.

'May you be as prosperous as a girl can be.' He crooned. Bani knew what this blessing meant. It was a reminder to her that she was a girl. She couldn't continue the linage of the illustrious Brahmins associated to the royal court. It reminded her that she also was supposed to obey her father.

Bani stood up. 'Thank you father.'

'What have you been up to?' her father asked. Bani smiled that enigmatical smile of hers. The maid'her father's mistress must have complained about her disappearing in the day. Her father, who was to be stationed at the royaltemple for the ongoing sacrifice couldn't exert his control over his daughter, in his absence, as he would have liked.

'Nothing much father'just wandering around'.visiting the temple.'

'No more illusions about the Lord speaking to you?'

'No father. That was just my folly.' Bani lied'not wanting to find herself beaten black and blue for telling lies. The Lord would never speak to anyone besides the royalpriest. He would definitely not speak to a girl.

Bani excused herself and went around the house to her own hut. Her father would be taken care of by his mistress and his disciple. She was not required in the house. So it was shocking for Bani when  her father called out to her. She quickly ran around the house to the front yard. Her father was talking to a man, who was seated on the dusty ground.

'Bani'this is Jaidev'he will be staying with us.'

'Thank you sire. 'the man answered. ' I will be eternally grateful to you for imparting the wisdom on an ignorant man like me.'

'I have not decided yet to accept you as my disciple.' Her father answered. ' Your test will start tomorrow. After that I will decided. As for now'get some rest'you have traveled a lot.'

The man nodded, bowed in front of the priest and followed Bani to a room in the house.

Jai couldn't believe he had managed to get in the vicinity of the women had been seeing from far for so many days. He followed her meekly. Jai couldn't believe that just a minor adjustment to his name and hanging a thread'a make-believe thread like the twice-born (khsatryia's and Brahmins), over his shoulder would make the priest believe he was one of them. The first hurdle had been cleared, now the rest of them and he would be able to work with the help of Vedic mantra's for the betterment of his people, the tribals.

She opened  a door. ' This is your room. My father's room is that way.' She pointed in the opposite direction of the house. If you need anything. Don't hesitate to tell me, I stay behind the house.'

Jai thanked her before she walked away.

'What is your name?' He asked her quickly.

'Bani.' She smiled at him.

After all these days he had name to attach to the mysterious face.

__

Bani was waiting in the courtyard of the house. She had been restless all night for some reason. The face of her father's latest disciple had been flashing in front of her the entire time. One time surrounded by fire'.other times surrounded by dust and weapons. She didn't know what to think of it'she just waited till dawn for the test. She had  finished her prayers on the bank of the river, thanked the forces around her and walked towards the temple when she heard the same rustling of sand again, the same noiseless movements'.Bani quickly hid behind the temple to see the same man, filling a vessel of water and quickly running away. With a smile on her face Bani went to her house to wait for the test to begin.

'Take this piece of dry wood.' The priest instructed Jai. 'And try to make that one leave fall from the tree.' He pointed to a near dead tree. It only had two leaves on one branch left.

Jai took the piece of wood and looked intently at the leaves softly rustling in the wind. He aimed'perfectly'.. and the two leaves swirled down. The priest looked perturbed for a while. 'I only asked you for one leave my son'.why did you take both the leaves?'

He asked Jai.

Jai smiled. ' Even in death we always long for a companion. Why should I let one of them suffer eternally while it longs to  be with the other, though knowing that it will wilt and die.' 

The priest smiled and slapped him on his back. 'It takes a lot of concentration to shoot one leave with just a piece of wood'but it takes not only concentration, but also mental strength and willpower to make two of these leaves fall at the same time. You are a worthy man to be taught the knowledge of the Veda's. Come I shall prepare your initiation rite.'  The priest ushered Jai into the house'into the prayer room, not noticing his only daughter rooted to her spot with the words of his disciple ringing in her ears. 'Even in death we always long for a companion. Why should I let one of them suffer eternally while it longs to  be with the other,  though knowing that it will wilt and die.

Bani returned to the river the next morning. After meditating she hid behind the temple stairs and waited for the man to come again. Bani toyed a bit with the sand when she saw the man running towards the river again with a  vessel in his hand. She didn't know why but she liked looking at him'like she knew him from somewhere..

But Bani never went close to him. She always maintained her distance out of fear of the man not returning ever. It would be dangerous for him to return after getting caught again.

Bani saw the man leave and make her way home again.  A few hours later she saw her father's new disciple washing the pots and pans of the house.

Don't. Bani pleaded. this is not your job.

Why?'

Bani looked at the floor. 'the maid will do it.'  She mumbled.
Jai grinned. 'You think I don't know that the maid in this house is a showpiece and you do all her work?'

Bani put her finger to her lips to indicate him to be silent. 'Don't let my father hear you. He wont like it.'

' I know he wont like it. But I also don't like to see you work like a slave. So I decided to help you.'

'You shouldn't.' she whispered. 'get up' she put her hand around his arm and tried to pull him up. He was much stronger and remained where he was.

' I wont.'

'Please.'

'No.'

Bani sat down next to him and started washing a small cup.

'You shouldn't be afraid when someone wants to help you.' Jai told her.

A rueful smile appeared on Bani's lips. 'I haven't met a lot of men who want to help me just for the sake of helping me.'

'Well, now you have met one.'

'Really'you just want to help me? No other reason?'

Jai grinned. 'Well there is another reason.'

Bani looked at him with shock in her eyes.

'Nothing like you are thinking.' Jai told her. ' I just want to be your friend.'

Bani smiled shyly and nodded her head.

Yes'friendship would be okay'.something else wouldn't and Jai knew that. Through this newfound friendship he would be able to meet her every day and speak to her every day.

---

Jai was taught the knowledge of the Veda's. he studied hard and diligently. He visited the royaltemple with his teacher to follow the sacrifice that had been going on for five years now. His teacher was very pleased with him, but his other disciple wasn't. He met Bani everyday, even though it would be just for a few moments. Just the sight of her would give him the strength of going on'imposing as a Brahmin, for he knew that as soon as the priest realized that Jai wasn't a Brahmin, he would never be able to see Bani again. Bani reminded him of what he could do after he completed his education. She spoke of the special powers he would posses'.powers he could use for his people.

Priyanvad hated the sight of Jai, ever since the test, knowing that he had not done his test as well as Jai. The priest had boosted about Jai's argument during the royal sacrifice. Even when remembering chants, Jai was always the first choice of the priest. Jai would remember things sooner than  Priyanvad. It even came to this extent that Jai was the one who took care of the priest's personal work like serving meals and cleaning the prayer room. Honors that were bestowed on Priyanvad before Jai came into the house. Jai was also the chosen on for the final sacrifice that would complete his education. Just one sacrifice would make Jai a priest himself'the sacrifice would be held in the royal temple..in front of all the other priests'..sooner than Priyanvad had expected or could achieve.

But Priyanvad hated Jai even more for the relationship he had with Bani. Though Bani and Jai didn't really interact much with each other, Priyanvad knew that Bani was impressed with Jai. She never made remarks about him or commented on his behavior whereas she avoided Priyanvad. If he could'he would make Jai vanish from the face of the earth.

Jai knew that he had made a special place for himself in Bani's heart and in her world. He could see it in those brown eyes that didn't know how to pretend, or hide. He loved to see her smile as he made a fool of himself. He hated it when tears would gather in her eyes as her father would rebuke her or his mistress would insult her. she bore everything with a smile on her lips, but she only broke down in front of Jai. Jai had to keep up the pretence'for Bani would be completely alone when he would be caught and killed. But Jai knew that his conscience wouldn't allow him to lie to Bani anymore. He had to tell her the truth.

Bani hurried towards the river. It was still a bit dark. As usual she took a few drops of water in a bowl and started to meditate.  The presence that took over her mind was soft and soothing. She never wanted to return back but she knew that she had to. She couldn't stay in the realm of the highest soul, the soul that connects all the other souls, forever. And she had to return'otherwise she wouldn't be able to see Jai this morning again before he left for her final test'the sacrifice in the temple.

Bani opened her eyes and suddenly saw Jai, dressed differently, filling the vessel with water. He looked at her.

'I couldn't hide it from you anymore. I am of the tribalclan,  stealing water from the river.'  He confessed.

Bani quickly finished the last part of her prayer before she stood up.

'You came back'' she whispered.

He looked at her with confusion. Bani shook her head and looked at the vessel in his hands. 'You do have a right to the water, no matter what clan you are from.' Bani answered.

'  And the wisdom of the Veda's?  jai asked.

'If my father can be considered capable enough to learn the wisdom of the Veda's then everyone can be.'

'even a tribal-boy.'

'even a worthy tribal-boy.' Bani answered.

'and the right to love you?'  Jai whispered softly.

Bani looked at him in shock.

'I have fallen in love with you.' Jai confessed. 'Ever since is first saw you sitting on the riverbank, meditating. I don't know why..I don't know how'but I can't resist not being near you'I can't resist looking at you'seeing you smile'seeing you think'.seeing you look at me.' Jai whispered. 'I can't be worthy of you..I know that'but I need to'.I..' Jai pulled her closer to him and finally did what he had been dreaming of doing for days'.he pressed his lips against her.

Suddenly Bani saw a face'Jai's face'Jaideva'in his armor'..a sword plunged deeply in his back'..Veer'.surrounded by fire'..And both the images blended together. The new image had soft eyes calling out to her.

'Your wait has ended my child. He has come for you'again.'  That familiar voice told her. Bani relaxed in the loving embrace. It felt like she was connected to that highest soul again and she didn't want to let go.

After a while he released her and looked at her in wonder as if trying to recognize her. Bani knew by the shocked and amazed expression that he must have had the same images. 'You came back to me.' Bani whispered as she softly stroke his cheek. Jai smiled with tears in his eyes. 'I had to.' He answered. 'One way or the other'we have to unite. We have to break Tara's curse. If not in this life then in the next one.'

'I'm alone without you. Incomplete'' Bani sobbed.

' I know. I am too.' Jai whispered before he pulled  her closer and Bani threw her arms around him.

Bani!' bani turned around to see Priyanvad running towards them. 'Leave him! Leave that impure tribal boy!' Priyanvad yelled at her as he put an arrow on the bow he was carrying and shot.

'Jai'Run!!'  Bani whispered as she handed him the vessel with water. 'He has not seen your face yet! Run!'

'No' I wont leave you like this.'

'You have to Jai'I can take care of myself. Your people need the water and you need to pass your final test before you master the knowledge of the Veda's. You need to perform the sacrifice today in the royal temple Jai. The court will not even look at the tribes if it doesn't rain anymore. If Priyanvad hurts you they will not have water anymore. They will be the first ones to die of thirst. Only you can change that for them Jai'.Run!!' Bani said hastily as she saw Priyanvad approach them rapidly.

Jai kissed her lips one last time before he turned around and ran as fast as he could, disappearing in a cloud of dust. Priyanvad came towards Bani and slapped her  harshly on her cheek, his eyes full of hatred and disgust.

'What is wrong with me that you chose that filthy blooded boy as your man?'

Priyanvad took the string off his bow and tied Bani's hands on her back.

'Your father will be very pleased to know what his ill-mannered daughter did behind his back. I really don't know what the bigger sin is here. Kissing that boy'.or giving him water. Letting him touch you with his dirty hands or letting him touch the river.' Priyanvad hissed in her ear.

Bani just smiled. If only this fool knew who 'that tribal-boy' was'If only he knew that it was Jai'and who Jai was to her'he would probably go insane!

Priyanvad dragged Bani towards her house to show her to her father, but he had already left for the royal temple. Bani tried to stall as long as she could, but her father's maid was glad to finally have caught the girl whom she had hated for such a long time. She didn't want to waste any time and ordered Priyanvad to brign her to the royal-temple'and make her pay for her 'sins' in fornt of all the higher officials.

Bani went along happily.

Jai rushed to his village, dropped off the water and changed into the clothes of a Brahmin disciple. He nearly forgot to put on the thread over his head, resting on his shoulder.

He rushed towards the royaltemple where they all had been waiting for him.

'Remember Jaideva.' His teacher addressed him. 'Under no circumstances can you leave you place, or leave the sacrifice incomplete. It will bring disaster.' The priest warned him. Jai took his blessing and after ritually purifying himself he sat down on the designated spot. He closed his eyes. Once the image of Bani flashed through his mind as he wondered what Priyanvad would do to her'.

'I can take care of myself.' He still heard her say.

Start Jai.' His teacher ordered him. Jai closed his eyes and started chanting, sunken in deep meditation.

The royalpriest heard the commotion outside the temple.

Who is that?!' He yelled. Priyanvad came forward pushing Bani in front of him.

'Priyanvad!' the priest yelled. 'What is going on here? Why have you tied her up?'

Priyanvad did his best to look apologetic. 'Sir'I have caught her giving water to a tribalboy.'

Bani closed her eyes with a smile and waited for the outburst.

'Bani! How dare you defy my rules'.the rules of the Lord!;'Her father shouted.

'Your rules father! Not the Lord's rules. The Lord did not refuse anyone to drink the water he gave.' Bani spoke fiercely.

She felt a stinging smack on her cheek.

'And now you are answering me back?! What do you know about the Lord? You are just a girl!'

'I know enough about the Lord to know that he has not asked you to keep all the water for yourself and tell others die. He also didn't ask you to perform the sacrifice that has not worked until now. You just think you have all the answers father, but the Lord's way'you will never have the answers to them.'  Bani spoke loudly.

She looked around to see Jai, still sunken in his meditation and smiled. He deserved this'..he could use the knowledge gained for his people.

Bani felt herself being dragged up the temple stairs to the altar. 'Lord forgive this insolent girl.' Her father screamed loudly.

'Master, no..!' Priyanvad screamed.

'She is impure!'

The royalpriest turned around and glared at his disciple. 'What do you mean impure?'

'She'she'let the boy'touch her'.her body.'

Bani felt another stinging slap on her cheek and the next moment the force of the slap made her tumble down the stairs towards the sandy ground.

'How dare you Bani! Have you forgotten who you are?! Which family you belong to!' he father yelled amidst all the mumbling of the gathered people.

'How could you let him touch you'a lowly boy!!' He screamed.

Bani scrambled up with some difficulty as her hands were tied behind her back. She felt blood on her lips, on the inside of her mouth, but she kept smiling.

' He hasn't only touched my body father. He has touched my soul.'  Her father rushed down the stairs and slapped her again.  Bani fell on the ground again.

'Try as much as you want father. You can't separate him from me anymore.'

The glow in Bani's eyes was something her father had never seen. A frightening glow. A glow of determination and defiance. The royalpriest didn't tolerate defiance. He walked towards the fireplace where Jai was still sitting chanting mantras in deep trance, pulled out a burning log of wood and walked towards his daughter. Bani knew what he was going to do. She had seen it been done to her mother a lot of times. Anticipating the burning sensation she closed her eyes and bit her lowerlip. It prevented her from screaming out loud. Tears sprung in her eyes.

' I am going to purify you Bani. Your soul should be purified.' Her father said.

Bani smiled even though tears were threatening to fall on the ground. 'There is no need to father. As long as my soul is connected to his'it is safe'you worry about your soul.' Bani answered.

The burning log touched her upperarm again. And again. Bani clenched her fists and looked at Jai. His concentration had luckily not been disturbed yet

Her father slapped her again. Bani fell in front of the temple. She saw jai's face when  she felt the burning log on her back. She couldn't help it this time and yelped out of pain.

Jai's eyes flung opene. He looked around and saw Bani lying in front of the temple.

He put his hand on the floor. Bani knew he was about to stand up. He couldn't, he mustn't stand up she mumbled. Everything he had learnt would be useless then.

'Jai!' Bani yelled out. 'Don't get up. Finish the sacrifice!'

Jai looked at her, shook his head and tried to get up again when he heard her again.

'For my sake Jai'for our sake'don't get up!'

Jai sat down and closed his eyes while all hell broke loose around him.

He is her lover!' someone mumbled.

'He is the thief.' Priyanvad yelled in the temple. ' And he isn't a Brahmin!'

'He is performing the sacrifice!' The royalpriest screamed. 'stop him!' He ordered.

Men surrounded Jai, tried to shake him, brake his concentration'..hit him, burn him with logs of wood,  But Jai didn't open his eyes.

'Do what you want.' Bani sniggered. He wont open his eyes. 'You see father'he has more mental strength than you have. Doesn't that make him a more worthy priest than you?'

For a moment, bani's surroundings turned black as her father slapped her again. He would never accept such an insult.

'His mental strength broke my dear.' Her father mocked her. ' And I know how. I won't let a lowly man destroy the royal sacrifice and my honor!'

Bani kept looking at the vindictive expression on her father's face. Within moments she was tied to a post and flogged with a whip. Tears rolled down her cheek, but not one whimper escaped her lips. Bani's eyes were fixed on Jai. She followed every movement he made. Every syllable he uttered while men were beating him with sticks. They would only beat him, never physically ruin the sacrifice. That was too scary to them as they feared the outsome.

Jai was nearly done. He was still in a  realm where he felt no pain, no joy, not even his own body. he surpassed the human mind and floated somewhere where the world had no meaning'no place'the only thing that had a meaning was love'..acceptance'divinity.

Bani felt her back being burned again. The log had burned her skin and flesh. Her tears rolled down her cheeks and she couldn't control the cry that escaped from her throat.

Jai's eyes flung open again. He looked directly at Bani being tortured and whipped by her own father.

'Jai'finish the rituals!' Bani screamed at him.

With his eyes fixed on Bani, Jai nodded and chanted the final matra's wishing peace for  the wind..the earth'water'. The four directions and every soul in the cosmos.

Dark clouds had started to gather in the sky that had been clear for seven years.

Jai didn't feel the logs of wood beating him, or burning him. He stared at Bani as he chanted.

Just a few more minutes, he thought.

The priest saw his daughter stare at the man who stole his wisdom'who stole the mantra's from him. He was never supposed to learn it. But he couldn't bodily lift him from the sacrifice as he feared the lord's wrath at an incomplete sacrifice. If the boy stopped on his own then''

The priest looked around him and found a dagger. At any cost did he need to stop the boy. Even if it meant killing his own daughter. He took one of his daughter's  wrist, put the dagger on it and slid through the skin, the veins and the muscles. Blood gushed out the slit. He took the other hand which received the same treatment.

Through her own tears she saw Jai's eyes widen in shock while his lips still uttered the divine syllables. Tears welled up in his eyes.

'Dont stop Jai!' Bani shouted at him.

Jai continued chanting'.as the dark clouds rumbled, surprising everyone who was present at the temple.

Bani slid to the ground. A little pool of blood had gathered at her feet as she saw Jai sprinkling water in all the four directions. She looked intently at his face when  she saw a different glow appear on it. It worked' Bani whispered. He had divine knowledge now..it had to be'

Jai dropped everything he had in his hands as the fire of the sacrifice still raged in front of him. He suddenly felt the heavy pains of wooden sticks battering his body. He grabbed the stick one of the men was holding and pulled him unexpectedly. Swinging and hitting, with no aim at all,  he hit several men who were charging towards him. Throwing punches around, jabbing people left and right in their ribs he didn't care what he did when he saw Bani lying on the sand in a puddle of blood. He swung the wooden stick around, not caring who he hit as long as he could reach her. her father stood next to her'gloating at Jais plight.

This is what happens when you steal wisdom'you filthy boy! He hissed at jai. Jai slumped down on his knees. Touching Banis head softly. She smiled weakly at him and shook her head as she saw tears in his eyes. He lifted her head gently and placed it in his lap as he saw the heavy burn marks on her skin.

I stole your wisdom... Jai looked at the priest. I might have done that'.but why did you punish her?'

The priest just grinned at Jai.

'Who decided who is fit to gain the knowledge of the sacred Veda's!' Jai yelled in front of the temple. 'This man!' he pointed at the priest as he looked at the people who had gathered around them.

'Will this man decided who is worthy of knowledge? Knowledge that has been given to us by the Lord? Is the Lord only his Lord?' Jai asked them.

Jai looked at Bani's shallow breathing. 'he didn't even spare his own flesh and blood'.you think he will help you in your time of need?' Jai asked the people. ' And you call him the most knowledgeable of all? The servant of the Lord? He is nothing but a greedy animal! He held all the water for himself when your familymembers were dying of thirst! It was his daughter who helped me save my people and he punished her for that!  Jai screamed.

The people started mumbling around Jai. Others glared at the royal priest.

'I am not saying that I am the most worthy person  to have the knowledge of the sacred books'but I know that the Lord is everyone's'he doesn't differentiate between people. He lets the sun shine on all of us'He lets the wind cool all of our skins..no matter what cast..what color.' Jai spoke gently. 'If the Lord  doesn't  make any difference'why is this man making a difference between people?'

'He hurt his own daughter.' Jai whispered as tears rolled down his cheek. 'He hurt my Bani.'

Bani raised her hand as much as was possible for her'to wipe the tears of his cheek.

She smiled through her tears. 'Maybe the next time, Jai. I'll wait for you.'

The blood flowing from her wrist stained Jai's cheek.

'You will have to wait for me.' He smiled at her,  'Otherwise''

'You'll slap me?' she finished his sentence remembering how she had giggled as Sarasvati when Veer halfheartedly threatened her.

'yes.'

'We'll see''

Bani closed her eyes as she breathed her last breath in the lap of the man she had loved for ages'

The first drop of rain fell on her face. Startled everyone looked at the dark clouded sky. Rain poured down on the people'wetting the dry sand'showering over the parched field which had been barren for a long time. Overjoyed because of Indra's blessing,  people danced in a maddening  daze'.rejoicing the new life the Lord had given them. No one noticed the broken man walk towards the centre of the temple where the fire of the sacrifice was still raging. He jumped into it.  

The Lord's words were true'.The curse ended when the bravest of all men would make the purest sacrifice for his people. Jai sacrificed  Bani for the betterment of his people.  The river never dried up since. Nor did Indra deny the gift of rain to the people anymore.

Ek to sajan mere paas nahin re
Duje milan di koi aas nahin re
Uspe yeh sawan aaya
Aag lagaayi, hay lambi judai
Chaar dinon ka pyaar ho rabba
Badi lambi judai, lambi judai

Edited by RANJANA_RRJ - 14 years ago
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
ohmy renu
taht was again a mindvlowing story

i am left speechless....

i knwo why do people differentiate between castes...
as in all the god is same for every1.... with diff names...

and no person is diff fro god
all are 1
then who are we to differentiate between them....

do write soem more...

kuttu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh that was really heart felt. Here too they could only unite in death it has been centuries of wait. So finally has the curse broken. But what happens to Bani's father he too should have been punished for his sins. Can we now get to read the story finally were they unite.
Bye
scorpion3110 thumbnail
Hey Hun,

Just read all three parts  and must say they were beautiful. I love indian history but never get the time to pursue it seriously. All three of ur stories, being set in three different time periods bring a lot of character into them. After reading the first part I thought maybe u finished there, but seeing parts b and c I was more than happy. I am curious, How long do u plan on keeping them separate? I do want to see them finally unite, but are planning something which has them being reborn over and over till they reach our time today? Either ways I will enjoy ur SS and hope to be able to leave a comment or two in between.

PS. It was nice to see updates for the Ugly Truth and this new SS when I logged on. I really appreciate ur taking time out to update both stories. and for letting Dhani continue Empty vows.

Keep writing

Love,

Eva

sweet_gurl61 thumbnail

This was so beautiful. I loved it. Once again, your written expression was fantastic.

divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Lovely stuff...I am loving the mix of religous, history and janamo janam hum milte rahenge...of course it was a selfless sacrifice...what could be more than sacrificing the women he loved for the people that were dying for lack of water.
Rockyy_ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Remarkable part c Ranjana.

Hope there is a continuation of this series of SS.

All the best, take care.