Indians and sports!!

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
I was wondering why do the Indians not excel in sports......except maybe cricket...India is a country of 1.1 billion people...there is talent but when it comes to international sports we don't make a mark.....

Is it because we don't have sports facilities/training available at par with the international standards?

Is it because there is too much politics involved in sports ...which causes the really talented to be left behind and the not so talented ones move forward?

Is it because playing sports costs a lot of money and not everyone can afford it ?

Is it because the Indian Govt is not doing enough to promote sports?

Lets not talk about cricket because cricket is not a sport in India ...its a religion..๐Ÿ˜ƒ...Indian cricketers are the best in the world๐Ÿ‘....but what about the rest of the sports....what about not winning at Olympics except a couple of gold medals...what about tennis. wimbeldon etc..........Hockey is our national game...and we used to do well but its also a thing of past now......

So what are ur views and what are the steps that should be taken to improve our image when it comes to global competitions?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue-ice. thumbnail
Please also mention what ur favorite sport is and who ur favorite sportperson is...

My favorite is Cricket and my favorite sportsman is Sunil Gavaskerโญ๏ธ
Edited by blue-ice - 14 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Because.....log sochte hain ki...

"Padoge likhoge to banoge nawab, kheloge koodoge to banoge kharaab"

upar se...

- there is no sports culture in India

- apart from a handful of sports (cricket, tennis etc)..most of them are not economically attractive. Parents do not encourage kids to take up sports as a career option.

- sports is not a part of school curricula in most schools or is not taken seriously

- there is hardly any quality infrastructure for sports...in major cities no of playgrounds is shrinking fast, even where parks exist...children are prohibited from playing anything...kahaan khelenge bachche phir?
blue-ice. thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Because.....log sochte hain ki...

"Padoge likhoge to banoge nawab, kheloge koodoge to banoge kharaab"

upar se...

- there is no sports culture in India

- apart from a handful of sports (cricket, tennis etc)..most of them are not economically attractive. Parents do not encourage kids to take up sports as a career option.

- sports is not a part of school curricula in most schools or is not taken seriously

- there is hardly any quality infrastructure for sports...in major cities no of playgrounds is shrinking fast, even where parks exist...children are prohibited from playing anything...kahaan khelenge bachche phir?

u r absolutely right........I agree
MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Problem is Cricket itself!
I am a huge fan of Cricket myself but,none the less..I would accept that lots of Cricket has killed other sports..Now for example Hockey..If I am right then there were some differences on the 'Money' factor..As much as playing Sport is related to national pride but that doesn't take away credit from the fact that 'Money' is needed..U see cricketers floating in pools of money but,there is not much money in the other sports(In India)..So,I think that's the part which needs to be rectified..Instead of the news channels going hullabaloo everytime India loses(In Cricket)and having 10,000 discussions on why they lost...They can use the precious time to publicize some other sport!๐Ÿ˜†
And instead of having Cricket matches telecasted on many Sports channels..It would be nice if special attention was given to other sports as well!:)Edited by MsMagixX - 14 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Hmmmm cricket killed the other sports........thats a good point u have made....a point to think about๐Ÿค” ..........I would like to know the views of others also.....
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
There's no sports culture in India, which is very sad.
blue-ice. thumbnail

Originally posted by: debayon

There's no sports culture in India, which is very sad.

Debu..sports to bachho ki jaan hoti hai........and this is all u have to say........come on I want to hear more from u...๐Ÿ˜Š
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: blue-ice

Debu..sports to bachho ki jaan hoti hai........and this is all u have to say........come on I want to hear more from u...๐Ÿ˜Š

In India, the competition is not very much. Sports are taken too casually. In other words, it is not very professional. But here in the US, there is a lot of competition and everyone is eager to join this team and that because of college. So, colleges also encourage kids into playing sports, which is a good sign. However, they get carried away sometimes, but that's in rare circumstances. For the most part, studies and sports in schools go hand in hand, there is a required GPA that you are supposed to have so that you can participate in school sports. Also, there is a slip that the teachers have to fill in and submit to the coaches about the kid's performances in behavior and academics. The coaches are of course, more professional. Also, another thing I have noticed, the parents push the kids towards sports. They play with them and give them various opportunities in the different sports, for example, in football, soccer, tennis etc... Not many parents in India do this.

The IPL has helped somewhat in all this, but most parents are pushing their kids for the sake of money. So, it has positive and negative effects. Also, why should efforts be limited to only cricket? I have seen many brilliant soccer players in my school in India. Look at Baichung Bhutia, he played for India, and was the only Indian soccer player to represent India on an international level, as in playing for other clubs and all. He even scored the winning goal in that game, and the match was for a good cause too. So, the government should give incentives to these gems in not only cricket, but soccer, field hockey etc. Otherwise, how will India flourish in these sports too?

Ab toh theek hai na, Blue ice ji๐Ÿ˜† Hope I have satisfied your quest for knowledge about sports culture.
India and sports.. ..doesn't ring a bell in my head....๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†