The Reading Group-Invites ONLY- 1 |p146|

immunoblot thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

*designed by RainbowWarrior. ⭐️

This is the space devoted to the exploits of the reading group, which was born because some random people (united in their love for reading and discussing things on the internet) stumbled upon each other. The mode of operation is simple: we short-list books, vote for our favourites, read the chosen one and then spend aeons discussing the characters, the themes, the incidents and whatever else that catches our fancy...

Remeber to click on the "play" button to listen to a nice song as you read through the selection of books up for voting...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnp6C4HSgXs[/YOUTUBE]

The reading group will shortly hold a vote on a book which we will discuss over the next days. The current top contenders are:
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - because a child's longing and yearning are precious.
  • Candide - because the human world is largely disutopian.
  • The Reader (Der Vorleser) - because human history is dark and provocative.
  • Three Cups of Tea - because we must hear out the message of love.
  • No One Loved Gorillas More - because all life is interrelated and it is not difficult to understand each other's language.
  • East of Eden - because the choice is always in one's own hands, and not in the inherited genes.
  • The Alchemist - because happiness is the result of a conspiracy of the Universe.
  • The Life of Pi - because we can choose the story we will believe.
  • A Long Way Down - because life is easy.
The book chosen for the first round is THE  ALCHEMIST. The discussions for "The alchemist" have been summarised on pages 29, 53 and 97.

A pdf version of the book is available
(if you don't have the original book/don't intend to buy it). It has 83 A4 size pages, so it should be relatively rapid to read. The pdf file can be downloaded here (thank you Pinki for the link):
http://www.4shared.com/file/60765570/7b84eaf4/the_alchemist.html?s=1

The next book to be followed by the reading group will most likely be: A Long Way Down. Here is a link to the pdf file of the book (thank you pinki for the link):

We'll be glad to welcome everybody on board, but please send a PM to one of the members to request an invitation. Currently we have many people on the list, but as the reading group settles, we'll try to adjust the head-count to a maximum of 15 people (so, those who don't participate, will be removed).
Currently WE include the following active readers:
  • Veritas
  • Axeion
  • Smitha80
  • Pinkisluv91 - the official link provider. Contact her for download links! 😃
  • Ashrozia
  • RainbowWarrior
  • BluePandora
  • -Aladin- - the official post-collector! 😆
  • Nitz17
  • Amyria
  • Immunoblot
The following members are inactive:
  • Cool_yv
  • Meena1
  • BigBella
And the following visitors may/may not join us(?):
  • Sunandshine
  • Sweta01
  • MithiBani
  • Xserial_queenX

Edited by immunoblot - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

axeion thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hum bhi "Reserving" Meena ji 🤗 Nice to see you here 😃
SPN_JD_Addicted thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hi SMitha here.Just a quick hello.I will be back soon!BTW,thank u.I am a book addict lol.
immunoblot thumbnail

Originally posted by: smitha80

Hi SMitha here.Just a quick hello.I will be back soon!BTW,thank u.I am a book addict lol.

Hello, Smitha! We're glad to have you here... ⭐️
pinkisluv91 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I hope I could read the books and balance school but I will join and see how well I could do:)) Thanks Mohit for the group it will kind of make me want to read more books. 😃
SPN_JD_Addicted thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Heard that ALchemist is a good book but never picked it up.So my vote goes to Alchemist.
sunandshine thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I will make my hubby join IF for this..He is a voracious reader..😳 Anyway, my vote is to 'Three cups of tea'..Meena has been recommending it a lot..😛
axeion thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Alchemist...Bcoz it's a small book and I have already read it 😉 More easy for discussing it, than actually having to read a whole new book to begin with.

Thanks Mohit, hope this can get me back on my track. I haven't read anything over the past 2 months 😃

@SAS, tera kuch nahi ho sakta 😉 Bechara tera hubby 😆
Veritas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I will go with "three cups of tea" too.
I heard its recommended reading for anyone going to Afghanistan....not that I have any plans.
immunoblot thumbnail
I tilt towards the Alchemist. Not a good book in my opinion, but I'd like to believe today that the journey is as meaningful as the destination... Hence, the vote goes to the THE ALCHEMIST.

@Smita ji & Meena ji: I hope we enjoy our three cups of tea in another round of voting! 😛