Rani Mukherji in Deepa Mehta's next?

shareShare facebook twitter
Posted: 12 years ago
A novel idea

Rani Mukerji to work with filmmaker Deepa Mehta in the screen adaptation of Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children

SUBHASH K JHA

Last month, Rani Mukerji had a secret, productive and extremely encouraging meeting with author Salman Rushdie and director Deepa Mehta in Toronto. Rushdie and Mehta are coming together for a screen adaptation of the former's celebrated Booker-winning novel Midnight's Children. According to reliable sources, Rani met the author and the filmmaker for a good two hours and is now part of the screen adaptation. The buzz is Rushdie took a great fancy to her.
Deepa is evasive about confirming Rani's presence in Midnight's Children. She says, "Yes, Salman Rushdie and I met her informally in Toronto, but nothing has been finalised."
However, reliable sources insist Rani is part of the coveted project which already has Shabana Azmi, Seema Biswas and Nandita Das in its cast.
Hinting at the possibility of working with Rani, Deepa says, "I don't know about Rani's current box-office status but I have always wanted to work with her. I saw her work in Hey Ram, Black, Bunty Aur Babli and Veer-Zaara and loved it. She is among the best talent in India today. Whether it is Preity Zinta (Heaven On Earth), Shabana Azmi (Fire) or Seema Biswas (Water), I have always enjoyed working with strong, female actors."
Rani too is on the lookout for a challenge that will take her beyond the roles she has done in Hindi cinema so far. Interestingly, she has never worked with a female director in her entire career. She came close to working with Mira Nair in The Namesake. She lost the prized role to Tabu because she didn't want to play Abhishek Bachchan's mother. Later, Abhishek too opted out of the project.
 

 
----------------
 

After Dil Bole Hadippa bombed at the BoxOffice, everybody pretty much wrote off Rani who worked real hard to make her big comeback. The advertisers pulled her out of their contracts and with no work in her hands, Rani made her television debut with judging Dance India Dance. However after director Deepa Mehta who last directed the Priety Zinta starrer Heaven on Earth announced her next film to be an adaptation of Booker winning writer Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, her hunt for the lead actress had begun. Sources say she recently invited Rani to Toronto and they had a meeting with her over the script and the role. Deepa who has always been in awe of Rani had Rushdie giving her the the thumbs up for Rani to essay the lead role in the film.

Deepa spoke about Rani saying, 'I have always wanted to work with Rani in the past. I saw her work in Hey Ram, Black, Bunty Aur Babli and Veer-Zaara and loved it. She is among the best talent in India today. Whether it is Preity Zinta (Heaven On Earth), Shabana Azmi (Fire) or Seema Biswas (Water), I have always enjoyed working with strong, female actors.' However Deepa rubbished rumours of Rani being confirmed for the role saying, 'Yes, Salman Rushdie and I met her informally in Toronto, but nothing has been finalised.' However a source says otherwise, "Deepa has made her mind and cant wait to start working with Rani in the near future. Rani on the other hand wants to do something substantial an hard-hitting such as Black and Veer Zaara and is tired of people putting her down for her past mistakes. She knows that Deepa focuses on her female characters and makes them stand out in her films, Rani needs that the most at this point of time in her career."
 
Edited by throughmyvains - 12 years ago
Posted: 12 years ago
WOAH, I'm excited just reading this. Hope the film works out.

Originally posted by throughmyvains



Hinting at the possibility of working with Rani, Deepa says, "I don't know about Rani's current box-office status but I have always wanted to work with her. I saw her work in Hey Ram, Black, Bunty Aur Babli and Veer-Zaara and loved it. She is among the best talent in India today. Whether it is Preity Zinta (Heaven On Earth), Shabana Azmi (Fire) or Seema Biswas (Water), I have always enjoyed working with strong, female actors."


ClapClapClap
Clap
Originally posted by throughmyvains




Rani too is on the lookout for a challenge that will take her beyond the roles she has done in Hindi cinema so far. Interestingly, she has never worked with a female director in her entire career. She came close to working with Mira Nair in The Namesake. She lost the prized role to Tabu because she didn't want to play Abhishek Bachchan's mother. Later, Abhishek too opted out of the project.


That's not true; he couldn't do the film due to date problem. She already signed KANK by then.
 
Originally posted by throughmyvains




Rani on the other hand wants to do something substantial an hard-hitting such as Black and Veer Zaara and is tired of people putting her down for her past mistakes. She knows that Deepa focuses on her female characters and makes them stand out in her films, Rani needs that the most at this point of time in her career."
 


This is ridiculous; why does she refuse every single good roles that is given to her? Ouch Hope she signs this movie and also the Jessica one. Confused

P.S. May I have the link?
Posted: 12 years ago
Abhishek was supposed to play Irfan Khan's part. Mira Nair wanted to cast them after seeing Yuva. What is this son business?

Anyway, Midnight's Children is one of my all time favourite books. Hope the film lives up to it. Though Deepa Mehta is a bit of a hit and miss as a director.
Posted: 12 years ago
I just hope Rani signs the film and don't go for another Hadippa. Haven't read the novel, but heard that it's a good read. Besides, I love Rushdie's writing style.
Hope we hear more about it.
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades


This is ridiculous; why does she refuse every single good roles that is given to her? Ouch Hope she signs this movie and also the Jessica one. Confused

P.S. May I have the link?
 
Whoops sorry I just copied the text from another forum, but I'll post the link whenever I have it.
 
But if I had to choose between the Jessica Lall movie and this one, I'd rather see her in the Jessica Lall movie as a journalist.
Edited by throughmyvains - 12 years ago
Posted: 12 years ago
^ She can do both, can't she? Her as a journalist would be cool; sorta like how she looked in Veer-Zaara. But Midnight's Children is an acclaimed novel, and Deepa Mehta too is a good director; she can bring the best out of her actors. If the film works out, then Rani has the chance of going at the top like she was before.

My greatest fear is that Rani won't sign wither of them, searching for another "Black". UnhappyConfused
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 12 years ago
Posted: 12 years ago
 I dont think Rani would ever refuse such a role. She always says that she wants challenging roles with a good script.
 
Btw I didnt read this novel, but arent there like countless characters? Which one will she play?
 
oh and the shootings for this movie will start in September. I dont wanna wait until September, it takes SO long. It would be better if she did the Jessica Lall movieCry
Edited by throughmyvains - 12 years ago
Posted: 12 years ago
^ if the shooting for the Deepa-Mehta's film starts from September then it's good for her - now she can finish with the Jessica one, and then get onto this one. Both are high profile film - Amir was critically acclaimed, and being that Rani is a terrific actress, I'm pretty sure sure she will be able to pull off the role she had been offered in the Jessica movie pretty well. Same goes for Deepa Mehta's movie.

She wants to do a challenging role, then all fine, but somehow I doubt if she will take any of these roles.

It would be cool if Rani gives an interview.

Deepa Mehta


Related Topics

doc-text Topics pencil Author stackexchange Replies eye Views clock Last Post Reply
She even dated ayan mukherji 🤯🤯🤯🤯

pencil Vickat_4evr   stackexchange 13   eye 2468

Vickat_4evr 13 2468 5 months ago jasminerahul
How are Ayan Mukherji and Alia Bhatt friends??

pencil mintyblue   stackexchange 165   eye 8779

mintyblue 165 8779 5 months ago MinionBoss
Aamir Khan's Punjabi Accent in LSC wasn't Good - Sargun Mehta

pencil Guddu.Pandit   stackexchange 39   eye 3028

Guddu.Pandit 39 3028 2 months ago SunqianFan
Sargun Mehta all set for Bollywood debut ...

pencil Havaana   stackexchange 8   eye 819

Havaana 8 819 2 months ago dillibilli
Where to find Karan Mehta Movie Basthi Hai Sasthi

pencil SimbaadRana   stackexchange 0   eye 140

SimbaadRana 0 140 2 months ago SimbaadRana

Topic Info

12 Participants 23 Replies 2476Views

Topic started by throughmyvains

Last replied by mariya12345

loader
loader
up-open TOP