VIDEO : Aamir on Chetan Bhagat's statement

Riddikulus thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
Here's the link to the video...seems quite unfortunate, as Aamir says himself...

I haven't read the book myself...anyone around here who has, and has watched the movie too? Could help shed some light for me...😊

Cheers!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sunshine36 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

i am nt even the biggest fan of chetan bagat bt also wait for his books jus to read them.i ahve watchd the movie too and i give my full support to chetan bagat..........as he said even some of the dialogues of the movie were in the book........the characters in the book ryan as rancho in the movie hari as farhan tht is the narrator of the story playd by madhavan and alok as raju palyed  by sharman are etched out as a xerox copy...i was very shocked wen i dint find an opening credit for chetan bagat coz a writer takes a lot of effort and put in hardwork and time  to write a book.......coz a book is nt like movie....so many things ahve to be thgt twice b4 writing...the movie makers have taken the same story and added a bit of garam masala here and there suitable for  a bollywood movie.............😡i dint expect aamir to do this....

I didnt like it when Aamir said that "Jahan baaki sab ka naam hai end credits mein wahan unka bhi naam hai". I guess what Aamir is trying to say is that they played by the book! Legally they didnt do anything wrong.. I guess the clause of including Chetan's name in the credits was a bit flexible.. as in they didnt specify which credits would contain his name. So the whole confusion was created there! But I still think that even if there was any misunderstanding and the fact that creators are playing by the book.. they should put his name in opening credits. Edited by adios - 14 years ago
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Adios, at first I also support Chetan. But if you really think about it, when do you include the name in teh starting credits? I would understand JK Rowling's names in the harry potter movies. I would understand the author of Lord of the Rings in the movies.
But in the case of 3 IDiots, they took some scenes, and the feel, and changed the story around.
From what i know, there were quite a lot of changes.
The entire JOURNEY is not included in teh book. THat was all Hirani's thinking. The beginning, the climax, and hte end are also very different. In the book, kareean ends up with Hari, sharman's character. In the movie its aamir.
So they changed quite a lot. ANd it snot like they didnt give him credit. they still included his name in there, just not where he wanted it to be included.
I remember hirani said (a long time ago whil teh movie was in the making) that htey cant remake FPS because the book is actually anecdotal, and wouldnt translate offscreen, so they've made a lot of changes.
I this case, I think chetan might be taking i ttoo far.
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i somehow agree with desigal n dats wat i hv been saying! its nt dat CB hs nt been given credits.. bt is just dat since the plot ws very much different n story ws extended i dnt get why CB wants the full credit..though? n i dnt think hirani or vvc r plagarising like they hv already given credits .. n why did CB agree on first place before some months dat 3 idiots is nt exactly 5 point some1?

at the same time this is a gr8 way to promote 3 idiots too
desigal90 thumbnail
Also hirani and the other scriptwriter worked on teh script for a VERY long time. If chtan is givne straight up credit and its said that its a remake from FPS, then its unfair to hirani and the other scriptwriter who put in so much effort to think up the dialogues and new idea.
I don't think that legally there is anything wrong with the stance of the makers and Aamir. But you can't just take a story.. add changes and put the original author in the ending credits. When you write a story.. the hardest thing to do is to come up with a basic premise, the protogonist, supporting characters, setting and then you can build a story around it! I mean isnt this what bolly movies have been doing all along.. lifting stories from holly and changing names adding changes and selling it as their own. In this case, they have credited Chetan but not properly. I personally think he should be given equal respect as other writers of the story.. Abhijat and Hirani himself.. cauz Chetan was the one who came up with the basic premise, the characters the basic theme.. which is always the hardest part of writing a story.
desigal90 thumbnail
They did give him credit, but the controversy starts on HOW MUCH
And Hirani himself said that he takes around 2 to 3 years to write a script but because it was inspired it took him about a year. So ofcourse Chetan deserves equal amount of credit just like the writers.. cauz he saved them time and he did come up with the core of the story. Edited by adios - 14 years ago
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i think i m the most confused person in the whole world so i quit.. 😆 cant decide who is rite. once i feel cb is rite the next moment i feel vvc is rite god help me