Criticism of religion & blind Faith: your opinion?

Poll

Take your pick:

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Posted: 14 years ago

Question: Should religions (any) be allowed to be criticized? Should thinks be believed in blindly?

Option #1
: Religions (any) should NEVER be criticized as they are meant to be believed blindly, or believed through blind faith - criticism of religion, even if done constructively is an insult upon not only the God and the religion, but also upon the religious people.

Option #2: Religions (any) should be allowed to be criticized as closing one's eyes and mind, and blindly believing in something (without ever questioning it's basic foundation) is not only the sign of barbarism, but is actually going against and misusing what God had gifted us (humans - his greatest creation) with - a rational brain to think and analyze, and a sin and injustice against one's creator within itself.

----------------------

...and let's try to keep things civilized without getting personal with anyone. Also, I would appreciate it if members can speak about things from an objective perspective, i.e. without delving into any particular religion.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Blind faith & criticism ...? To appreciate a criticism one has to have the ability to "see" a different POV . "blind " faith is blind--- so how can it see ! Edited by angie.4u - 14 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

We should have many religions to suit all kinds of people. But petty quarells among persons of similar or different faiths are a waste of time.

Whatever religion we follow should be questioned and queried to a large extent until we are satisfied. Certain things do need a bit of faith but if our efforts are sincere then we will not have a problem in getting the answers we want.

Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

Question: Should religions (any) be allowed to be criticized? Should thinks be believed in blindly?

Option #1
: Religions (any) should NEVER be criticized as they are meant to be believed blindly, or believed through blind faith - criticism of religion, even if done constructively is an insult upon not only the God and the religion, but also upon the religious people.

Option #2: Religions (any) should be allowed to be criticized as closing one's eyes and mind, and blindly believing in something (without ever questioning it's basic foundation) is not only the sign of barbarism, but is actually going against and misusing what God had gifted us (humans - his greatest creation) with - a rational brain to think and analyze, and a sin and injustice against one's creator within itself.yeah, because there's no proper proof for any of these.. heck ,the existence of so many proves how fake it is.also it's just like being fans of different actors or different singers or different political parties, plus.. if there was no religion, there would be no communalism.

----------------------

...and let's try to keep things civilized without getting personal with anyone. Also, I would appreciate it if members can speak about things from an objective perspective, i.e. without delving into any particular religion.

chal_phek_mat thumbnail

If you are criticizing any religion, it would always be taken offensively by the followers of that religion whether you belong to that religion or not. The followers of a particular religion have to come up with a consensus amongst themselves to get rid of the ills.

Another thing, you always tend to look at other religions with an objective standpoint, but do not want to look at your own religion with the same objectivity

Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

Option #1

Option #2: Religions (any) should be allowed to be criticized as closing one's eyes and mind, and blindly believing in something (without ever questioning it's basic foundation) is not only the sign of barbarism, but is actually going against and misusing what God had gifted us (humans - his greatest creation) with - a rational brain to think and analyze, and a sin and injustice against one's creator within itself.

----------------------

POH,

I feel the debate premise is faulty to begin with.  Based on my experiences on forums and real life so far - it's not the religion that gets criticized or bashed.  It is the interpretation of texts considered to be religious that are the focal point of all the drama we see around us. 

There will always be some dimwits out there who will be hell bent on equating the interpretation with the religion and hence will try to bring down a religion.  But then these are the same folks who interpret their own religion strictly and follow it blindly and end up giving their own religion as bad a name as they were using for the other. 

Blind followers interpret their religious teachings without discounting for any changes that took place after those teachings were penned down.  If someone refuses to perform certain rituals blindly , they are labelled non-believers or sinners by the blind followers.  These allegations are usually followed by a strong urge amongst the blind followers to teach a lesson to the so called sinner and that's when all hell breaks lose.

This is true for any religion out there.  Hope it makes sense.

Option 2 should be "Religion should allowed to be QUESTIONED........criticism is a harsh word for any religion.
_Angie_ thumbnail
reminds of an e mail fwd , 😆 will post latr

Originally posted by: angie.4u

reminds of an e mail fwd , 😆 will post latr

naheen naheen.  abhi post karo.  later tak kau wait kareyga - waisey bhi I am way too curious 😆
_Angie_ thumbnail
net s too slow here... LOL .. hope topic doesnt get locked till then !