Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: qwww

Now we wait for the dharnas and burning effigies in India (hopefully nothing violent)  - not sure what purpose its going to serve except waste Indian resources.  And if we beleive America is going to change its policies because one of our actors was questioned, yeah right!
But I wish the  people in India would have protested half as much when Abdul Kalam was questioned who cares about illustrious ex-Presidents anyway.:P

exactly!! even rahul gandhi was interrogated at the time of 9/11. APJ did not say anything when he was questioned. y was the need for media even SRK to make such a big deal abt all this? i think they should have kept quiet. i am with what salman said.
This is a very big overreaction. I forgot to say more earlier in my post, but I will say it now. Effigies, very productive, seriously. /sarcasm The thing is that maybe they did it if he had the wrong last name, but their intent was to protect the common welfare of people in the U.S. for an attack. And honestly, I don't mind being checked in the long run, if my country and my fellow citizens will be protected. 9/11 was a day I will never forget. After standardized tests, school was interrupted, and we just watched in stunned silence the television monitor for the rest of the day. And I know an old lady that was Caucasian, who could barely walk have to take off their shoes and are checked by the scanners at sensitive areas. Or not being allowed to carry lotion, it is a minor hindrance, but I didn't really mind. The security is extremely tough. Honestly, at the end of the day, the hullabaloo is extremely unproductive. No one is saying there isn't profiling because we all know there is. But the whole Google search response is not exactly the best.
Edited by dizzyonlemonade - 14 years ago
Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
When I was traveling to VA, the security was suppose to check everyone's bags and purses but he didn't check the people before me their bags but he checked my pursed for awhile just because I'm muslim.
-Edelweiss- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Though I think its the right of the American security officers to question the people that come under their scrutiny, but that does not give them the right to deny that person to even make a phone call to their embassy to prove their status. If SRK was actually denied that right, and especially after the other immigration officers vouched for his celebrity status, and the fact that he has visited the country many a times and that he was just recently there, makes their security measures sound childish to a certain extent.

It is some what distasteful from the American security point of view, seeing that it has occured before with our Ex president Dr Abdul Kalam Azaad and defence minister George Fernandes, who were both frisked and questioned when they were serving their term with the government. So this happening with SRK does not really come across as a shock to me.

I would really like to know their stance, had a similar situation occured with any of their government officials or a celebrity in India.

Though this issue has terribly been blown out of proportion by the media...but then again if they don't make a mountain out of a molehill, then how will they survive. They need some sort of masala to run their gossip...oops I mean news channels.
desihamesha thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Shah Rukh Khan detained and grilled at Newark airport

One of India's biggest stars, Shah Rukh Khan, was grilled for two hours by immigration officials at a U.S. airport because his name came up on a computer alert list.

Khan, a mega-star in Bollywood known by his millions of fans all over the world as "King Khan," told the Press Trust of India he was detained for questioning early Saturday at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey.

Complete Article: http://www.filmicafe.com/news11709.html
desihamesha thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I'm 'angry, humiliated': Shah Rukh

Shah Rukh Khan on Saturday termed the incident at Newark Airport in the US as "uncalled" for saying the experience made him feel "angry and humiliated".

"I was really hassled at the American Airport because of my name being Khan...The couple of hours of interrogation wanting to know if I know anyone in America while all around people were vouching for me from India and Pakistan (sic)," the Bollywood superstar said in a statement.

Complete Article: http://www.filmicafe.com/celebrity_interview_detail.php?interview_id=725
Yay!!! Now Mr. KJO and gang don't have much to worry about when their film releases. *rolls eyes*

Most ordinary muslims have been through this regularly since 911. Its not fair that mostly Muslims have to go through this. But life isn't fair either. After 911, US has to ensure history does not repeat itself. And I'd rather go through it than be bombed while grocery shopping.

So why is it only such a big deal when Mr. superstar is detained? And boy....has this been blown out of proportion especially in GLOBAL media. Oh wait....what was Kunal Kapoor saying......thats right....... MNIK has a very GLOBAL feel.....well.....not to worry, I'm sure their goal will be accoplished now. While poor Indian SRK fanatics back in India die burning effigies of Obama by being beaten to death by the cops.........what about those people who will be injured and killed while rebelling against US (who's not going to listen anyway), who's taking the responsibility for them? SRK? The corrupted offcials and politicians?

Disgusting!
Edited by psychobalehead - 14 years ago
preity*zinta thumbnail
From what I'm making of the replies from the bollywood industry .. Just because he's SHAHRUKH KHAN he shouldn't have been detained?

Like others have mentioned it's not the first time it's happened any many people have had to gone through way worse situations.
fly2me thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This is really sad...things like this still happen....
rhea_6 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This is Sad but it isn't Shocking at all.Generally Muslims have to go through this all the time.

2 hours is still less,.My Frnd who is a Muslim goes to abroad often and he and his family were recently detained for 8 hours at Heathrow Airport as his name is Mohd Basheer.And they only let them go after intense questionning.