Places related to Rani Padmini

Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago

Hey Guys,

I was just looking for more information on Rani Padmini when I came across some real pictures of the ruins of Chittorgarh Fort. For a while I was transported back to the time when the Fort was standing in all pride and shine. Hence why I've decided to post some pics here…to allow you to do the same.

Fort

The fort of Chittor is situated on a 180m high hill, has deep declivities on all sides and spread across 700 acres. The fort is surrounded by 13 kilometres of battlement and the hill extension from the north to the south is almost 5 kilometres. The fort dates back to early 7th Century. The monuments inside the fort belong to different time periods ranging from 7th Century to 16th Century AD, with different residents housing their own palaces. There are more than 100 lakes inside the fort.

The fort has seven main gates. One is uncommonly known as the Suraj Pol (Sun Gate). It is believed that Ala-Ud-Din Khilji was brought to the fort through the Suraj Pol.

Padmini's Palace

A white, three storied structure, it is a distinctly feminine structure that overlooks a pleasant pool. Chhatris (pavilions) crown the palace roofs and a water moat surrounds the palace. This style became the forerunner of other palaces built in the state with the concept of Jal Mahal (palace surrounded by water). The bronze gates to this pavilion were removed and transported to Agra by Akbar. Some historians believe that the original palace must have been destroyed and the one that we see in the picture below was reconstructed from the remains of the original palace.

Khilji was shown just the reflection of Rani Padmini in the water pavilion from a mirror that is still present today, opposite to the window in the picture below:

This structure is in original. As the queen will come out or enter her palace, the maids of honour will shower flowers from the porches (something we've been deprived of seeing):

Rana Kumbha Palace

All the Royals of the different era housed themselves in this palace, hence why it is the largest of them all. It is only called Rana Kumbha Palace as he underwent major renovations of the stucture. It is believed that in a cellar in this palace, Rani Padmini and other noble women performed Jauhar. (Just as a side note, Rana Kumbha was Meera's husband).

The underground entrance to the cellar…

That's all folks. I've grabbed most of the pics from the link below. Do have a look, it's got some amazing pictures.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/51219-4500-km-b-lore-nashik-maheshwar-ujjain-ajmer-chittaur-ahmedabad-b-lore-3.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thank you Jenifer 😊 😊 😊
tiny15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
thanx a lot Jeni 4 da info.i"ll definetily visit da site after my interview.
happy99 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
that was a really wonderful website i could not stop myself. great piece of information.
Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Your welcome all.

I'm glad you enjoyed them as much as I did. I really want to go and see if for myself now. One day maybe.

Tiny - all the best!
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I was planning to do the same thing as this! THANKS 😃