Chandan Roy Sanyal-The surprise package of Kaminey

RiyaK09 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Who's that guy ?

Like most noteworthy Bollywood success stories of recent times, this too began in Delhi.

Fresh from the disappointment of not clearing theIIT entrance examination, Chandan Roy Sanyal enrolled himself in a college there and decided to pursue theatre. In retrospect. thhis innocent decision, feels Sanyal, has ended up being a landmark one. For unwittingly, Sanyal had followed the footsteps of the likes of Shah Rukh Khan, Imtiaz Ali and Anurag Kashyap, Bollywood biggies who started their career with theatre in Delhi. "I was a student of Habib Tanvir. I was only 19 when I joined his troupe," says Sanyal.

A decade later, Sanyal is shouting Dhan tana with Shahid Kapoor in one of the most-anticipated Bollywood releases of recent times, Vishal Bharadwaj's Kaminey. He is also being hailed as the surprise package of the film which has established names like Shahid and Priyanka Chopra in itโ€” Amole Gupte, who also stars in the film, feels that he is "the one to look out for". "You must be kidding me. Did he really say that? Well I'm honoured then," he beams.

Sanyal's career, it seems is full of such extremes. He studied, quite incredulously, in a Bengali-medium school in Delhi. "I belong to a Bengali family and my parents wanted me to study in a Bengali medium school. It's as simple as that," he says. Indeed, but his initiation to Bollywood was anything but simple. "I had auditioned for the Aamir Khan production Delhi Belly, unfortunately I was not selected for a role in it. However, the casting director, Honey, kept me in mind and approached me for Kaminey. I auditioned for it and waited. Nothing happened, so I went to the US as a part of Tim Supple's theatre production, A Midsummer Night's Dream. When I casually called Honey from the US to enquire about latest developments he informed me that Vishal is desperately looking for me and I am on," he says.

Eventually, Sanyal was cast as Mikhail in this "caper" film and was asked by director Vishal Bharadwaj to build a rapport with his co-star Shahid Kapur. "I share most of my scenes with him and we ended up being good friends," says Sanyal. His other famous co-star, Priyanka Chopra, is a livewire, feels Sanyal. "Though I don't that many scenes with her, it was quite interesting watching her work. She is so incredibly edgy and spontaneous," he says.

Sanyal, has some interesting insights about his director's approach too. "He is a musical person and that comes through in his work. He would explain scenes according to notes. I was having problems enacting a scene which was physically demanding. I was having trouble breathing, Vishal came up to me and taught a breathing exercise which he said Lataji (Mangeshkar) taught him," he smiles.

The impending release of his debut film has him in knots, he confesses. "I have only seen the rough cut of the film. I will see the whole film only in the theatre with the audience and I will pay for my ticket," he adds. Future is still a vague word for him, he says. "My friends have asked me to take it easy. Which is why I have only signed one film with Bejoy Nambiar (who is a winner of a filmmaking competition in a private channel) opposite Dev D's Kalki," he signs off.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/whos-that-guy/493523/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Am looking forward to seeing his movie with Kalki, she's such a fresh face and she's so different looking..And her acting is not OTT...she's special!

I have guessed he became a good friend of Shahid..considering their unique chemistry on screen!!!

I hope we'll get to see more of their work together they totally rock the screen!!!
The film with Kalki is called Shaitan. That reminds me of the Lola Kutty interview:

Shaitan ... another word for KAMINEY.
RiyaK09 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -bluemoon-

The film with Kalki is called Shaitan. That reminds me of the Lola Kutty interview:

Shaitan ... another word for KAMINEY.

Looks are deceptive, my darling.

Shaitaaaaan. Another word for Kaminey

Oh he's promoting the film again.๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Shaitan!? What does that mean?
RiyaK09 thumbnail

Originally posted by: lalixlili

Shaitan!? What does that mean?

Naughty, devil-ish, evil...all those things.๐Ÿ˜†