Amole Gupte on working with Shahid Kapur

RiyaK09 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Baap-tism by Fire

Shahid Kapoor, who plays a double role for the first time in Kaminey, has adopted his father Pankaj Kapur's method of acting. Both the characters, Guddu and Charlie, played by the actor have speech defects, one stammers and the other lisps.

Pankaj Kapur has played a double role in Anubhav Sinha's Dus. When director Vishal Bharadwaj asked the senior actor's son to play the morally-incompatible twins, Shahid apparently studied the way his father played the double role in Dus.

Amole Gupte, who plays the villain in Kaminey, confirmed the news and said that he has never witnessed such diligence. He said, "When Shahid played Guddu, who stammers, he completely internalised all of the character's traits, including the stammer, so the character doesn't end up looking like a caricature."

On many occasions, Shahid would remain in character for days so that he wouldn't lose thread of the two roles. Elaborating on Shahid's preparation for the role, Amole said, "Shahid stayed on the sets throughout and did not retreat into his vanity van to keep absorbing the ambience and the sweaty milieu in which Guddu and Charlie had to function in their own separate ways. I know that Pankaj works in the same way.

I truly believe that Shahid has inherited his father's ability and style of performing without appearing to act. It is definitely in his genes. When you're facing the camera with a co-star, you become compatriots in the canvas of characterisation. I was startled by Shahid's passion for excellence. I saw the same quality in Aamir Khan (Taare Zameen Par)."

P.S- This is a Mumbai Mirror article, but MM is acting weird for me..so I just posted it straight from Shahid's fansite.

Edited by RiyaK09 - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RiyaK09 thumbnail

OMG Amole is awesome!!! First he compared Shahid to Naseeruddin Shah and now Pankaj and Aamir?!😲

He says that Shahid used to stay in the slums kind of area, and not go into his vanity van just to feel like Charlie and Guddu!πŸ‘πŸ˜²

From PBM, when Guddu says "mere paas toh k-kapre bhi nahi hain,....dhanke" I was in awe, cuz Shahid sounded so natural! As if he actually stammers!

-Divyaa- thumbnail
^^^ wow he stayed at the slum area without showing anykind of starry tantrums ,thats great yaar ,nice to se such committed actors, way to go shahid.
RiyaK09 thumbnail
You know how when the shot is over, the stars return to their vanity vans? He didnt he would just roam around the location. He didnt really stay/live in the slumsπŸ˜†
TheBlackJaguar thumbnail
πŸ₯³

Thank you so much for this article. πŸ‘

Shahid is really evolving into a wonderful performer who gets under the skin of the character that he plays. From his Archie colours in Ishq Vishq to a cute hubby material next-door in Vivaah to a disappaointed dejected but golden-hearted man in Jab We Met..... He indeed has grown a lot as an artist.

Shahid no longer thinks his chocolate looks and cute charm to be an  advantage or a disadvantage. He simply concentrates on enhancing the actor inside him. He is no histrionic powerhouse.... but he is a genuine artist and it shines through.

I hope Shahid reaches the heights of actors like Naseer, Pankaj, Aamir and Amitabh... and not just because he is talented.... it's because he works hard and with undiluted conviction and committment.

Love you, Shady! 😍
-Divyaa- thumbnail
i know he didnt stay or live riya you are too much sometimes lols but would you go and live in slums if shahid told you to ???just checking how much you love him / ha ha ha.
RiyaK09 thumbnail

Originally posted by: divyalrl

i know he didnt stay or live riya you are too much sometimes lols but would you go and live in slums if shahid told you to ???just checking how much you love him / ha ha ha.

Prob not, unless I find Dev Patel there🀣

-Divyaa- thumbnail
ha ha ha you cracked me up
friends_rock thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
wow shahid and aamir...thats good!
RiyaK09 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nitica_82

πŸ₯³

Thank you so much for this article. πŸ‘

Shahid is really evolving into a wonderful performer who gets under the skin of the character that he plays. From his Archie colours in Ishq Vishq to a cute hubby material next-door in Vivaah to a disappaointed dejected but golden-hearted man in Jab We Met..... He indeed has grown a lot as an artist.

Shahid no longer thinks his chocolate looks and cute charm to be an advantage or a disadvantage. He simply concentrates on enhancing the actor inside him. He is no histrionic powerhouse.... but he is a genuine artist and it shines through.

I hope Shahid reaches the heights of actors like Naseer, Pankaj, Aamir and Amitabh... and not just because he is talented.... it's because he works hard and with undiluted conviction and committment.

Love you, Shady! 😍

Finally she commented!!πŸ₯³

I'm gonna say the usual again, I loved your post! Very well written! I agree with everything you said, even though he has played the lover boy in all his movies, he manages to do something different each time. Take for example, Vivah and Fida. Both portrayed him as the lover boy, but he was SO different in both the movies.

He's a learner, a keen learner. He wants to work hard, he is in Bollywood to do movies. That's his passion, he's said it so many times. He's said that he cant even imagine doing anything but act, he always told people he wanted to become an aeronautical engineer, when he was young, but the truth is that he didnt even know what an aeronautical engineer does lol