Harman || Breakeven (a oneshot)

Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago
Sorta tragic-y, but not really. It's in Harman's point-of-view, first time I'm writing his point of view. So I'm a bit iffy about it, but Bhav said it passed, so I am posting it.

Enjoy!

-||-

I'm Still Alive But I'm Barely Breathing,
Just Prayin' To A God That I Don't Believe In.
'Cos I Got Time While She Got Freedom,
'Cos When A Heart Breaks, No, It Don't Break Even.

Harman folded his arms across his chest, contemplating where life had brought him. No, he thought to himself, it was not life that brought him here, but his own decisions. He was here, alone, because of his own mistakes.

Downstairs, he could hear his family joking and laughing, celebrating the good news that had just been shared with them. He could hear their happiness, it reverberated through the house. And he had no right to go downstairs and mope. So he separated himself from his family, not wanting them to see that he was not happy. He was miserable. And he had no one to blame but himself.

He sighed, running his hands through his hair. How could he have not seen the truth that had stared him in the face? How could he have not seen just how Maya was? Instead, he had left his family for her, had married her, brought her home, only to have her attempt to break apart his family in her misplaced love for him. He closed his eyes.

Her Best Days Will Be Some Of My Worst,
She Finally Met A Man Who Will Put Her First.
When I'm Wide Awake She's No Trouble Sleeping,
'Cos When A Heart Breaks, No, It Don't Break Even.

The family had thrown a party to celebrate. Harman had grinned, albeit a little wryly. His father had just needed an excuse to throw a party. His grin slipped off his face slowly as he saw her walk down the stairs with Bhabhi. His heart clenched at the sight. Her face was aglow with happiness, a happiness he knew was only partly attributed to her pregnancy. The other part – there, that was the reason for the happiness on her face. Preet approached them, bowing slightly to Bhabhi in a joking manner, before taking Meher's hand and pulling her away. Her smile had widened (he did not think it was possible).

It could have been him, he could not help but think to himself as he saw Meher throw back her head and laugh at something Preet had said. Preet's arms were wrapped around Meher's waist, resting on her stomach. She had her back pressed against his chest, and they were oblivious to everyone around them as they joked and teased one another. If he had not been such an idiot, if he had not left, it would have been him.

What Am I Supposed To Do When The Best Part Of Me Was Always You?
What Am I Supposed To Say When I'm All Choked Up And You're Okay?
I'm Falling To Pieces, Yeah,
I'm Falling To Pieces.

Harman sat on his bed, unable to sleep. He had not bothered switching the lights on, preferring to sit and muse in the dark. He had not realised it then, but now, as he looked back on things, he knew that he would have been happy with Meher. If he had married her, he would have been so happy. Once upon a time, she had loved him. And he, though he did not know it then, had also given her a piece of his heart. She had been more than just his friend, he had just been too wrapped up in Maya to notice.

His heart had been broken twice, and he did not know how to escape the pain that encompassed him. It was crippling, watching Meher with Preet, knowing that it was his own fault that she had married his brother rather than him. The pain engulfed him, the remorse brought tears to his eyes, and the undeniable truth that it was his own damn fault made him want to wallow in self-pity. Then he gathered himself together. If being in their presence brought him this much pain, they would soon notice, and he would not be able to live with himself if they felt guilty for their happiness. He would leave India, he decided. He had to, for Meher, for Preet and for himself.

They Say Bad Things Happen For A Reason,
But No Wise Words Gonna Stop The Bleeding.
'Cos She's Moved On While I'm Still Grieving,
And When A Heart Breaks, No, It Don't Break Even.

As he sat on the plane, gazing unseeingly out the window, he knew he had made the best possible choice. Leaving meant that Meher and Preet would live together happily, no idea of how he felt. He felt lighter as the plane took off.

His heart had taken many beatings over the course of the last two years. He had loved Maya, and had had to leave her behind in India. There, he had made a great friend in Meher, and had gotten 'engaged' to her. She had helped Maya and him. When his heart had been broken, when Maya had left him to die in the cold, she had come, and his heart had healed somewhat. With her by his side, the pain had been less. Then he had left, for Maya. And he had shattered her. Daily, he thanked God that Preet had stepped up to do what he had been unable to. She had healed, and he had thought that he would get his friend back. And he did, only his heart had ached at the sight of her with Preet. He had not understood until Maya had left him, claiming that she had only really married him for the money (which they had considerably less of). He had not hurt so much when she had left, there had just been a twinge. Seeing Meher with Preet hurt more.

It was the announcement of her pregnancy that had done him in. He had stood stunned as everyone had congratulated Preet and her, both beaming joyfully. And he had managed a soft smile, but he had escaped before anyone could say anything more. The sense of loss he had felt then had made him realise that she had long ago stopped being his friend, and had become so much more.

Maybe someday, he would find someone else, someone who would help him move on. Now, he would be happy for Meher, and for Preet. He would not wallow, he would move on, somehow.

Because, really, it was his own fault.

What Am I Supposed To Do When The Best Part Of Me Was Always You?
What Am I Supposed To Say When I'm All Choked Up And You're Okay?
I'm Falling To Pieces,
(One's Still In Love While The Other One's Leaving)
I'm Falling To Pieces.
('Cos When A Heart Breaks, No, It Don't Break Even)

-||-

I didn't put all the lyrics, just the first half, mostly. πŸ˜ƒ Please, press the 'like' button or leave a comment!

Love,
Radz

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sourpuss thumbnail

I really do think it was nice. It's something different, and it kinda seemed to have an almost experimental quality to it, know what I mean?

Love,
Bhav (:
indiandoll89 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Ohhh I liked it! 😳

You're right not so tragic since it's Harman....but all in all the emotions were really well put out, him cursing his own mistakes and feeling guilty and all! 😳

Write more soon! πŸ˜ƒ

Love you,

Meera😳
Good riddance. *hmph*

Oh wait he didn't leave.

Well he deserves pain, and pain and MORE PAIN!!!!!!!!! 😈 Awesome job di!

--shabz
~Rinki~ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Ah...can i say i somewhat laughed at him and his stupidity? πŸ€”
Like srsly...wht did he think Meher wud do? Wait for him to grow a brain and be his rebound chick over again? 🀒
And i cant believe i jst spoke in her defense 😳
Anyhoo...ignoring that, i loved this Radz...nice to see his depressed side and angsty...muahaha!
Love it and ya
 -Rinki

That was really good

I liked this alot

Harman learnt a valuable lesson
Oh! A! I can't tell you how much I loved this one! Literally can't! At this moment, that is!

So, I have to reserve! My Spot!

I read it through though! And I think it's brilliant! Totally brilliant! I TOTALLY wanted to read something like this and lo and behold....Another awesome shot from A!

Couldn't resist! Better leave before I say a few thousand more things.....

xoxo:-Nonee (forgive me, I'm so coated with the lives of the Upper East Siders!)πŸ˜†Edited by noneeM - 14 years ago
Rhea_401 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
hi nyc 1.....its d 1st tym sum1 has written nethin fm his pt of view....i jst luvd d bit at d end.....keep up d good work!! Edited by Rhea_401 - 14 years ago
..kashish.. thumbnail
wwow! that was great to finally read something tha tis from his pov!
thanks for posting tihs! =)
P.Kamaljit.Sean thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
that was very goood
i liked it