Is Bella Swan an anti-feminist heroine?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Okay, how about a Book debate for once?πŸ˜‰ 

For those of you who have read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and love or hate it, what is your opinion on this question? Is the heroine of the Twilight series, Isabella Swan, an anti-feminist? Are her decisions and actions a bad influence for young girls, or are they to be ignored because "it's only a fantasy novel"? Here's Mrs. Meyer's answer when someone asked her this question. Do you agree or disagree with her?

Is Bella an anti-feminist heroine?

When I hear or read theories about Bella being an anti-feminist character, those theories are usually predicated on her choices. In the beginning, she chooses romantic love over everything else. Eventually, she chooses to marry at an early age and then chooses to keep an unexpected and dangerous baby. I never meant for her fictional choices to be a model for anyone else's real life choices. She is a character in a story, nothing more or less. On top of that, this is not even realistic fiction, it's a fantasy with vampires and werewolves, so no one could ever make her exact choices. Bella chooses things differently than how I would do it if I were in her shoes, because she is a very different type of person than I am. Also, she's in a situation that none of us has ever been in, because she lives in a fantasy world. But do her choices make her a negative example of empowerment? For myself personally, I don't think so.

In my own opinion (key word), the foundation of feminism is this: being able to choose. The core of anti-feminism is, conversely, telling a woman she can't do something solely because she's a woman'taking any choice away from her specifically because of her gender. "You can't be an astronaut, because you're a woman. You can't be president because you're a woman. You can't run a company because you're a woman." All of those oppressive "can't"s.

One of the weird things about modern feminism is that some feminists seem to be putting their own limits on women's choices. That feels backward to me. It's as if you can't choose a family on your own terms and still be considered a strong woman. How is that empowering? Are there rules about if, when, and how we love or marry and if, when, and how we have kids? Are there jobs we can and can't have in order to be a "real" feminist? To me, those limitations seem anti-feminist in basic principle.

Do I think eighteen is a good age at which to get married? Personally'as in, for the person I was at eighteen'no. However, Bella is constrained by fantastic circumstances that I never had to deal with. The person she loves is physically seventeen, and he's not going to change. If she and he are going to be on a healthy relationship footing, she can't age too far beyond him. Also, marriage is really an insignificant commitment compared to giving up your mortality, so it's funny to me that some people are hung up on one and not the other. Is eighteen too young to give up your mortality? For me, any age is too young for that. For Bella, it was what she really wanted for her life, and it wasn't a phase she was going to grow out of. So I don't have issues with her choice. She's a strong person who goes after what she wants with persistence and determination.

- Stephanie Meyer
http://twilightersanonymous.com/twilight-series-fun-facts-breaking-dawn-book-is-bella-anti-feminist-herione.html

Questions:

Do you agree with the critics who see Bella as an anti-feminist heroine? What do you think of Stephenie's response to this criticism?

How do you feel about Bella's choices throughout the series? Would you have made the same choices?

Do you agree that Bella's choices should be viewed differently because her story is set in a fantasy world?

Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I love book debates. Too bad I have not read the books. I just recently saw the movie. M&B meets vampire are not my thing. I need it to be pure vampire - like Night Watch or Let the Right One In.

However, be assured I love books and character analysis, themes and motifs. So this topic will hear from me soon enough.
I have read all four books.  I don't think Bella is anti-feminist.  Being a feminist doesn't mean one stops being feminine and lovey dovey.  You could be a moon-eyed teen ager hopelessly in love and still assert your right to make your own choices - just like what Bella did.

We can debate on many of her decisions in all four books in the twilight series but the fact remains she has a mind of her own.  She did not let others bully her into making those decisions or bully her into not making those choices.  These debates arise when people have a stereotypical prejudiced notions about what a feminist should look like, feel like, talk like etc.  One need not stop being a woman to be a feminist. 

Rest later. 
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I don't understand how people find so much time, to even find flaws in books and characters, you don't like it? Don't read it - its as simple as that.

Onto Bella Swan, or perhaps Bella Cullen, I don't think she's anti-feminist at all, just because she chooses marriage at eighteen, it makes her an anti-feminist? I agree with Meyer's description there.

What I have a problem with is Bella herself, I am so annoyed by her character. She is so irking, so immature, so possessive, so selfish, and completely intolerable at times. Arggh.

On the other hand, Edward Cullen's character is so heart-warming. πŸ˜³πŸ˜†
πŸ˜†
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I love book debates. Too bad I have not read the books. I just recently saw the movie. M&B meets vampire are not my thing. I need it to be pure vampire - like Night Watch or Let the Right One In.

However, be assured I love books and character analysis, themes and motifs. So this topic will hear from me soon enough.

I read the first two books and my opinion is the same as it was before I read them.πŸ˜†

Looking forward to your input.πŸ˜‰
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

I don't understand how people find so much time, to even find flaws in books and characters, you don't like it? Don't read it - its as simple as that. How would you know if you like it or not without reading the book first?😳 I'm not the kind of person to judge a book simply by its summary or "what it says on the back". So you saying "if you don't like it, don't read it" doesn't make sense. Most of Twilght's critics have read the books, and they criticize it because it's a popular series and every popular series has its criticisms. So did Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. It's the critic's job to analyze the books. So the same can be said to people who don't like reading criticisms. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Onto Bella Swan, or perhaps Bella Cullen, I don't think she's anti-feminist at all, just because she chooses marriage at eighteen, it makes her an anti-feminist? I agree with Meyer's description there. There are lots of moments in the book where she lets Edward make the decisions though she feels differently, only because she "loves" him and she can't resist his "charming sparkly smile".  

What I have a problem with is Bella herself, I am so annoyed by her character. She is so irking, so immature, so possessive, so selfish, and completely intolerable at times. Arggh. I agree with you here. Whether Bella is a feminist character or not. she's one of literature's most annoying characters. 

On the other hand, Edward Cullen's character is so heart-warming. πŸ˜³πŸ˜† I wouldn't say he's heartwarming, since he too annoys me a lot, but he's definitely a better character than Bella.
πŸ˜†

Angelic_J thumbnail

I agree with Lalitha 100% :) although Edward being more heartwarming than bella can be debateable :|
In my opinion Eddy n his belly are the two MOST annoying fictional characters I have ever come across😳😳
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Ok this is slightly off topic but Edward Cullen is a damper on the species of 'vampire'. In fact the vampires in Twilight are kind of tame compared to most vampires. Edward Cullen is no Angel. He is not a LeStat or a Louis, nor an Armand. Even Kostya Shauskin a minor character has more depth.

The best vampire of all times and ages has to be Selene.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Ok this is slightly off topic but Edward Cullen is a damper on the species of 'vampire'. In fact the vampires in Twilight are kind of tame compared to most vampires. Edward Cullen is no Angel. He is not a LeStat or a Louis, nor an Armand. Even Kostya Shauskin a minor character has more depth.

The best vampire of all times and ages has to be Selene.

I'm not really familiar with other "vampire novels" but I'm sure the really good vampire novels don't involve "sparkling".πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Not to take the spotlight away from Bella (or maybe to do just that πŸ˜‰), I think Jacob's character is the most real out of the whole series. His character is so simple yet so complex that it conveys so much reality. I feel his emotions are most easily comprehended. Sometimes I can't understand why Edward falls in love with Bella out of all people, or why Bella can't see past his crooked smile. Jacob on the other hand is such a real-life personality.