Your opinion on abortion

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
What are your views on abortion? Is it right or wrong? And in what circumstances should it be done? Does the mother have the right to make the decision herself, or should the father also have a say in it? Are there any alternatives to abortion that people should look into? And should religion become an issue when abortion is thought about? I know for sure that Christianity and Hinduism call abortion a sin (don't know about other religions), so what are your overall views on this?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
if the pregnancy is threatening to the mother then perhaps both the mother and the baby won't survive. isn't it better for the mother then to terminate the pregnancy. and in case of pre-marital pregnancy?? how could the father who is not legally wedded to the mother have voice and opinion upon whether to continue the pregnancy or not??? but then if a pre-marital mother is pregnant and want to abort the pregnancy then it is better for the mother not to engage in any pre-marital sexual relationship at all, or use protection such as condoms, and preventive pills and all. it is a sin in christianity, it is a sin in hinduism, in islam i'm not too sure as they believe that if i'm not mistaken that a baby is not implemented with soul till the 100th days so it is okay to terminate the pregnancy before that. however, according to my opinion i think a mother should not terminate the pregnancy if the mother's health is not jeopardizes by the pregnancy itself.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
slow net now, will get back latr
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: rongna

if the pregnancy is threatening to the mother then perhaps both the mother and the baby won't survive. isn't it better for the mother then to terminate the pregnancy. and in case of pre-marital pregnancy?? how could the father who is not legally wedded to the mother have voice and opinion upon whether to continue the pregnancy or not??? but then if a pre-marital mother is pregnant and want to abort the pregnancy then it is better for the mother not to engage in any pre-marital sexual relationship at all, or use protection such as condoms, and preventive pills and all. it is a sin in christianity, it is a sin in hinduism, in islam i'm not too sure as they believe that if i'm not mistaken that a baby is not implemented with soul till the 100th days so it is okay to terminate the pregnancy before that. however, according to my opinion i think a mother should not terminate the pregnancy if the mother's health is not jeopardizes by the pregnancy itself.

Agree with you; if it's harmful for the mother's health, it may be aborted, but I think a father should have a say in the abortion even if it's pre-marital, because he had a part in it too.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1008536

A similar topic from the past. More focused on congenital defects and abortion.
I would like to clarify that, abortion is NOT a sin in Hinduism. The traditional concept of sin that exists in western monotheism does not exist in Hinduism. As such Hinduism is based on karma and not sin. Of course there is good and bad karma, but there is no rigid definition, it is more fluid, situational, and a complex cause effect model.

Some Hindus believe abortion is totally wrong, while others believe there are some situations where it is acceptable, even others believe in free will and choice. Depending on their belief a person may condemn abortion as a wrong act and steer a person away from abortion as a wrong act, but will not exactly deem it as sin.

Thats my perception, other Hindus may view karma and sin in a different light.

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Agree with you; if it's harmful for the mother's health, it may be aborted, but I think a father should have a say in the abortion even if it's pre-marital, because he had a part in it too.

Sure if he carries it in his belly, quits his party nights out, quits his killer vices, sure he can keep it.
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
.Abortion of a child should justified in many  situations like financial,health  of a woman and child .if it is high risk pregnancy then it become necessary same should happen when baby is not normal . Edited by sonur15 - 15 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I would like to clarify that, abortion is NOT a sin in Hinduism. The traditional concept of sin that exists in western monotheism does not exist in Hinduism. As such Hinduism is based on karma and not sin. Of course there is good and bad karma, but there is no rigid definition, it is more fluid, situational, and a complex cause effect model.

Some Hindus believe abortion is totally wrong, while others believe there are some situations where it is acceptable, even others believe in free will and choice. Depending on their belief a person may condemn abortion as a wrong act and steer a person away from abortion as a wrong act, but will not exactly deem it as sin.

Thats my perception, other Hindus may view karma and sin in a different light.

It says in the Hindu Vedas that to kill a fetus is one of the worst Karmas. I will hunt through the Internet and try to post the verse if I can.

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

It says in the Hindu Vedas that to kill a fetus is one of the worst Karmas. I will hunt through the Internet and try to post the verse if I can.

Bad Karma is still not sin. I know that there are vedas as well as other texts condemning it. But there is a philosophical difference in the sin concept and the karma concept. They cannot be used interchangably.