Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

I saw a Telugu Black and White NTR Movie called Venkatesa Mahatyam. It was pretty good, and pretty accurate for a movie.

I saw a color movie of NTR n Jayasudha(?) as Lakshmi. I don't remember much, just the last scene where Lakshmi n Padmavati are quarreling n Vishnu turns into a stone; Lakshmi is shocked to see that n she jumps into the water from a mountain and is reborn in a lotus. Some Nawab/Muslim King sees and adopts the baby...
Which story is that, plz lemme know coz I watched the movie, but could hardly understand what was being spoken😭😕
chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
thanks avi for the update

seems interesting
dint watch yday

and now no re runs also in morning thought wud see that

but guess have to do with videos later

and all the stories mentioned above no idea of it at all
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Here is the story of Lord Venkateshwara's marriage with Padmavathi Devi. I have omitted the side stories. I have just included the main stories here.

The Tirumala Hills are a range of 7 Hills. Lord Varaha along with his consort Bhuma Devi stayed on the Venkatadhri Hills after rescuing the Earth from the demon Hiranyakashipu.

The sages went to Rishi Brighu to ask who among the Gods is to be worshipped first in all the ceremonies and prayers. Sage Brighu who had an eye at the sole of his foot (which gave him immense power by which he can even defeat the Gods, the Trinity included) as a result of his penances and merits went to the three gods one after the other. First to Brahma Lok - Lord Brahma sat in worshiping Lord Vishnu. (In some stories, it is said that Vishnu Lord Brahma was reciting the vedas and looking at Devi Saraswati.) Sage Brighu decided that he was not worthy of worship and left the place after cursing Lord Brahma. In the Kailash Mountains, Lord Shiva sat in the groves with Devi Parvati and did not notice the sage coming there. When Devi Parvati brought to Lord Shiva's notice about the Sage's arrival, Lord Shiva took up his Trishul to kill him for intervening in their privacy. Sage Brighu cursed Lord Shiva too and left the place and reached Vaikundha. (Some stories say that Lord Shiva did not notice Sage Brighu at all and the sage cursed Lord Shiva and left the place.) In Vaikundha, Lord Vishnu was resting on Adhisesha and Devi Lakshmi was pressing his feet. Sage Brighu, fiercely angry that he was not noticed here too, kicked Lord Vishnu on his chest. Lord Vishnu, who noticed the sage only then, fell at his feet saying that "I hope you were not hurt by kicking me," and pressed the sage's feet. He also plucked out the eye on the sage's feet. Maharishi Brighu was pleased with Lord Vishnu and blessed him that he was the most worthy of worship. (Some legends say that after leaving Vaikundha, he realised what he had done since now the power that blinded him - the eye - had gone. He repented for it by doing austerities and penances with a vow that if forgiven Devi Lakshmi must come to him as his daughter and kick his chest as his daughter would. So, Devi Lakshmi, when she forgave him, appeared as a baby girl whom he raised as his own daughter. She was known as Bhargavi.)

After the sage left, Devi Lakshmi, angry that her own husband fell at the feet of the person who dared to kick her (residence), left Vaikundha. Lord Vishnu pleaded with her not to go but she did not heed it.

To be continued . . .

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

Here is the story of Lord Venkateshwara's marriage with Padmavathi Devi. I have omitted the side stories. I have just included the main stories here.

The Tirumala Hills are a range of 7 Hills. Lord Varaha along with his consort Bhuma Devi stayed on the Venkatadhri Hills after rescuing the Earth from the demon Hiranyakashipu.

The sages went to Rishi Brighu to ask who among the Gods is to be worshipped first in all the ceremonies and prayers. Sage Brighu who had an eye at the sole of his foot (which gave him immense power by which he can even defeat the Gods, the Trinity included) as a result of his penances and merits went to the three gods one after the other. First to Brahma Lok - Lord Brahma sat in worshiping Lord Vishnu. (In some stories, it is said that Vishnu Lord Brahma was reciting the vedas and looking at Devi Saraswati.) Sage Brighu decided that he was not worthy of worship and left the place after cursing Lord Brahma. In the Kailash Mountains, Lord Shiva sat in the groves with Devi Parvati and did not notice the sage coming there. When Devi Parvati brought to Lord Shiva's notice about the Sage's arrival, Lord Shiva took up his Trishul to kill him for intervening in their privacy. Sage Brighu cursed Lord Shiva too and left the place and reached Vaikundha. (Some stories say that Lord Shiva did not notice Sage Brighu at all and the sage cursed Lord Shiva and left the place.) In Vaikundha, Lord Vishnu was resting on Adhisesha and Devi Lakshmi was pressing his feet. Sage Brighu, fiercely angry that he was not noticed here too, kicked Lord Vishnu on his chest. Lord Vishnu, who noticed the sage only then, fell at his feet saying that "I hope you were not hurt by kicking me," and pressed the sage's feet. He also plucked out the eye on the sage's feet. Maharishi Brighu was pleased with Lord Vishnu and blessed him that he was the most worthy of worship. (Some legends say that after leaving Vaikundha, he realised what he had done since now the power that blinded him - the eye - had gone. He repented for it by doing austerities and penances with a vow that if forgiven Devi Lakshmi must come to him as his daughter and kick his chest as his daughter would. So, Devi Lakshmi, when she forgave him, appeared as a baby girl whom he raised as his own daughter. She was known as Bhargavi.)

After the sage left, Devi Lakshmi, angry that her own husband fell at the feet of the person who dared to kick her (residence), left Vaikundha. Lord Vishnu pleaded with her not to go but she did not heed it.

To be continued . . .

Thanks for the story.😃 Eagerly waiting for the rest....
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: ananyacool

I saw a color movie of NTR n Jayasudha(?) as Lakshmi. I don't remember much, just the last scene where Lakshmi n Padmavati are quarreling n Vishnu turns into a stone; Lakshmi is shocked to see that n she jumps into the water from a mountain and is reborn in a lotus. Some Nawab/Muslim King sees and adopts the baby...
Which story is that, plz lemme know coz I watched the movie, but could hardly understand what was being spoken😭😕

I never saw the movie you mentioned, but in the Black and White version, here's what happened.
The beginning is the same as Vibhishna just posted. After Lakshmi left, Vishnu also left Vaikunta to search for her and convince her to come back. Meanwhile, Brahma and Shiva, who wanted to assist Vishnu, came to Earth in the form of a Mother cow and a calf (I think Brahma was the calf, don't remember). Vishnu, when he could not find Lakshmi, decides to takes rest in a small hollow of a tree. The cow and calf meanwhile go to the house of a poor Brahmin, and he "adopts" them, thinking them to have no home. In the afternoon, the Brahmin rounds up all of his cows and takes them to a grassy field for pasture. Brahma and Shiva, in the form of the cow and calf, sense that Lord Vishnu is nearby and wander off from the others. They find Vishnu looking very tired and give him some milk. By this time, Vishnu took the form of a normal human. 
The brahmin, finding two of his cows missing, goes in search of them and finds them giving milk to a poor looking man (Vishnu). He gets angry and hits the man on the forehead with a sharp wooden stick, accusing him of stealing his cows. Lord Vishnu in the form of the man bleeds on the forehead, and the Brahmin immediately goes blind for doing this wrong. 

Then Vishnu wanders off again to search for a place he could stay in (at this point, the movie shows that he's forgotten that he's Vishnu; I don't know if it's true though). He eventually comes to the small hut of an old woman who has no family, but only kind friends. She sees Vishnu bleeding on the forehead, and patches up his wound lovingly as a mother would. She asks him what his name is and who his parents are. Vishnu replies that he has no name and no parents. The woman, thinking that he lost his memory, feels sorry for him and names him (I forgot what she names him, sorry😳). 

It is revealed to us now that this old woman is a re-incarnation of Yashoda Ma from Dwapara Yuga. Yashoda, who had been sad that she never saw any of Shri Krishna's marriages, is granted a boon by Krishna that she would conduct his marriage in his next avatar. One day, Vishnu wanders off somewhere and sees the beautiful Princess Padmavathi with her friends. He falls in love with her and she reciprocates it, but when her parents the King and Queen find out that she fell in love with a common poor man, they get angry at her and lock her up in her room to prevent her from seeing him again. But their astrologer tells them that Padmavathi is none other than the re-incarnation of Chaya Sita from Treta Yuga, and the "common poor man" an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The story was that after the real Sita had been regained from the Agni Pariksha, Chaya Sita had no where to go and asked Shri Ram to marry her. Ramji told her that he vowed to take only one wife in that avatar, and he would marry her in another avatar. That very Chaya Sita was reborn as Princess Padmavathi. When Padmavathi's parents found out about this, they felt bad and went to Vishnu with apologies. 

The marriage between Lord Vishnu and Padmavathi was done grandly, with the old woman supervising it. After some days, Vishnu and Padmavathi were strolling through a mountaineous area where Lakshmi was meditating. Lakshmi felt the presence of her Lord and woke up from her meditation. She went joyfully to him and saw him with Padmavathi. Insulted and angry that he had remarried, she told Padmavathi that she could have Vishnu and that she herself would go back into meditation since Vishnu had clearly abandoned her. By now, Vishnu had regained his memory that he was the Lord of Vaikunta. Padmavathi, feeling bad that she had gotten in between Lakshmi and Vishnu, told Lakshmi that she could have Vishnu and she herself would return to her father's kingdom. While Lakshmi and Padmavathi started arguing about who would go away, Vishnu smiled and took seven steps back. Each step became one of the Tirumala mountains. When Lakshmi and Padmavathi looked back, they saw their Lord as a statue. Then they too turned into statues. After awhile, a priest found their statues and put them in the Tirupati temple on the seventh hill. 

This is how the movie showed it. I don't know how true it is though.😳    

Vibhishna thumbnail
Continuation . . .

Now rewinding back to Treta Yuga . . .

(According to the Legends of Tirumala, Tirupati)

When Ravan tried to seduce Vedavati, she jumped into the fire to end her life and was rescued by Agni Dev and left in the care of his wife Swaha Devi. When Ravan tried to take away Sita when Ram and Lakshman were away, Vedavati was substitued for the real Sita. Agni Dev now took the real Sita Devi into his care and left her in his wife's care. After the war, when Lord Ram got back his real Sita, Agni Dev (in some legends Sita Devi too) asked Ram to marry Vedavati as she had suffered so much for his sake. Ram refused saying that his one and only wife was Sita and no one else but also said that he will marry her (Vedavati) when she is born as Padmavati in the Kali Yuga and  he will come as Venkateshwara to marry her. So, Vedavati spent the rest of her life in penance and was reborn as Padmavati in Kali Yuga (similar to Sita).

When a King named Akaasha Rajan (legends say that he belonged to the Lunar Race) ploughed a field, he found a golden lotus with a baby girl inside. He took her to his wife Dharanidevi and brought her up as his own daughter. As the child was found in a lotus, she was named Padmavathi. She grew up to be a fine maiden. It was foretold that she would be Lord Vishnu's spouse.

Lord Srinivasa who was staying in the 7 Hills (there is a story behind this too which I am omitting so that it is not too tedious) went hunting in the forests. He was chasing a wild elephant and the chase led him to the gardens where Princess Padmavathi and her maids wee collecting flowers. At the sight of the elephant, all the women there were frightened. But the elephant disappeared into the forests (after saluting Lord Venkateshwara). The maids fired questions on Lord Venkateshwara as to his identity and his prentage. Lord Srinivasa (Venkateshwara) inquired about the princess. He also expressed his wish to marry her. The maids angry on the stranger who suddenly expressed his interest in their princess thew stones at him. He left the place in haste (even left behind his horse). Vakula Devi (who was like his mother) asked him why he was gloomy and he told her about what happened. Vakula Devi, knowing that Venkateshwara would not be happy till he marries the princess went with some women to meet Queen Dharanidevi to ask for her daughter's hand in marriage for Lord Venkateshwara. Akaasha Rajan and Dharanidevi were happy and accepted the proposal.

To be continued . . .
ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Lalitha n Vibs for ur respective stories👏 Vibs waiting for more ... Lalitha, I don't know whether the movie I mentioned is available online , if so I'll let u know then you can lemme know what was being said in the climax.😊
Vibhishna thumbnail
The King and Queen sent their reply (that they were happy to give their daughter to him) through Vakula Devi. Lord Venkateshwara consulted the Gods regarding the marriage with Padmavathi. They were happy about this too. Akaasha Rajan consulted the sages and sent the marriage invitation which was prepared to Lord Venkateshwara through Rishi Sukha. Lord Venkateshwara, in return sent his garland to the princess through the sage. The Lord borrowed a huge sum of money (as debt) from Kuber for the marriage. (It is said that the devotees give their offerings to the Lord to help him pay back Kuber and after all these ages he has not even paid back the interest - I do not know the source for this. It is an oral tale. Hence, Lord Venkateshwara is also called Vaddikaasuluvaada - the one who borrowed money - with interest.) The marriage was celebrated with great pomp.

While the couple were living happily, Devi Lakshmi came in search of her husband and found him already married. Devi Padmavati on seeing Devi Lakshmi was afraid that she will take him away from her. When the two women encountered each other, the Lord turned to stone. Both his consorts realised their folly and turned to stone themselves and stayed with their Lord. In the statue of Lord Venkateshwara, we can see the two Devis on either side of his chest. Some legends say that Lord Venkatshwara was tired and sick of all the misdeeds of the world and in desparation turned to stone. The mark of the Vaishnavaite (the naamam) is applied so that it hides the Lord's eyes. It is said that his gaze is so intense that it will scorch the Universe if left open. Some say that the Lord did not want to see the unjust world and hence he closed his eyes. The position of his hands - the right hand points to his feet saying that one should surrender to his feet and with his left hand he makes a gesture of protection symbolically saying that he protects whoever surrenders to him. Usually the statue is decked with jewels and flowers from head to foot. Only on Thursdays, the decorations are made only of flowers - only on this day the eyes and the feet of the Lord are made visible for the devotees.

This is a picture of the Lord's statue within the temple - the only one which was ever taken.
Edited by Vibhishna - 15 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
Sorry, I did not see your post earlier. You had put in some of the stories I skipped. Sorry if my posts were a repetition.

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

I never saw the movie you mentioned, but in the Black and White version, here's what happened.
The beginning is the same as Vibhishna just posted. After Lakshmi left, Vishnu also left Vaikunta to search for her and convince her to come back. Meanwhile, Brahma and Shiva, who wanted to assist Vishnu, came to Earth in the form of a Mother cow and a calf (I think Brahma was the calf, don't remember). Vishnu, when he could not find Lakshmi, decides to takes rest in a small hollow of a tree. The cow and calf meanwhile go to the house of a poor Brahmin, and he "adopts" them, thinking them to have no home. In the afternoon, the Brahmin rounds up all of his cows and takes them to a grassy field for pasture. Brahma and Shiva, in the form of the cow and calf, sense that Lord Vishnu is nearby and wander off from the others. They find Vishnu looking very tired and give him some milk. By this time, Vishnu took the form of a normal human.

The brahmin, finding two of his cows missing, goes in search of them and finds them giving milk to a poor looking man (Vishnu). He gets angry and hits the man on the forehead with a sharp wooden stick, accusing him of stealing his cows. Lord Vishnu in the form of the man bleeds on the forehead, and the Brahmin immediately goes blind for doing this wrong.

The story of Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma becoming the mother cow and calf is different from what I heard. When they transformed into a mother cow and calf, Surya Dev convinced Lakshmi Devi to sell the cow and the calf to a Chola King. Lord Vishnu had already been wandering for ages and ages in search of Lakshmi Devi. He sits on the Earth to do penance and the ants build an anthill over him. The royal shepherd took the cattle to graze everyday. Everyday, the mother cow emptied her milk into the anthill, thus feeding Lord Vishnu. The queen noticing that the cow did not yield milk, scolded the shepherd. The next day the shepherd followed the cow and saw what she did. Angered, he took a rod to beat the cow. Just when he was about to strike the cow, Lord Vishnu broke open the anthill and shielded the cow thus getting injured himself. The shepherd fell down dead on seeing the Lord bleed. The cow went screaming to the king and the king hastened to the spot to find Lord Vishnu bleeding. Lord Vishnu cursed the king that he would become a demon. The king pleaded his innocence saying that he knew nothing of that matter. The Lord said that the king was responsible for whatever happened in his kingdom but later said that he will be relieved from the curse when Akaasha Rajan presents him with a crown on the occasion of his marriage with Padmavathi.

Then Vishnu wanders off again to search for a place he could stay in (at this point, the movie shows that he's forgotten that he's Vishnu; I don't know if it's true though). He eventually comes to the small hut of an old woman who has no family, but only kind friends. She sees Vishnu bleeding on the forehead, and patches up his wound lovingly as a mother would. She asks him what his name is and who his parents are. Vishnu replies that he has no name and no parents. The woman, thinking that he lost his memory, feels sorry for him and names him (I forgot what she names him, sorry😳).

Lord Vishnu wanders off for a place to stay and reaches the Venkatadhri Hill where Lord Varaha had made his abode. He asks for a place to stay and Lord Varaha says he can stay beside the Pushkarini there. Lord Venkateshwara was pleased and says that the offerings and worships should be made to Lord Varaha before it is offered to him. Also the devotees coming to see him should pay their obeisance to Lord Varaha before they come to him. There was a devotee by name Vakula Devi
She was given the duty of looking after Lord Venkateshwara which she did with a mother's love. She was Yashodha Mata in her previous birth. Once, when she was Yashodha, she expressed her wish to see his marriage as she had missed his wedding with Rukmini. She was promised that she will be born again in Kali Yuga where she will witness his wedding with Padmavathi.

It is revealed to us now that this old woman is a re-incarnation of Yashoda Ma from Dwapara Yuga. Yashoda, who had been sad that she never saw any of Shri Krishna's marriages, is granted a boon by Krishna that she would conduct his marriage in his next avatar. One day, Vishnu wanders off somewhere and sees the beautiful Princess Padmavathi with her friends. He falls in love with her and she reciprocates it, but when her parents the King and Queen find out that she fell in love with a common poor man, they get angry at her and lock her up in her room to prevent her from seeing him again. But their astrologer tells them that Padmavathi is none other than the re-incarnation of Chaya Sita from Treta Yuga, and the "common poor man" an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The story was that after the real Sita had been regained from the Agni Pariksha, Chaya Sita had no where to go and asked Shri Ram to marry her. Ramji told her that he vowed to take only one wife in that avatar, and he would marry her in another avatar. That very Chaya Sita was reborn as Princess Padmavathi. When Padmavathi's parents found out about this, they felt bad and went to Vishnu with apologies. 

The marriage between Lord Vishnu and Padmavathi was done grandly, with the old woman supervising it. After some days, Vishnu and Padmavathi were strolling through a mountaineous area where Lakshmi was meditating. Lakshmi felt the presence of her Lord and woke up from her meditation. She went joyfully to him and saw him with Padmavathi. Insulted and angry that he had remarried, she told Padmavathi that she could have Vishnu and that she herself would go back into meditation since Vishnu had clearly abandoned her. By now, Vishnu had regained his memory that he was the Lord of Vaikunta. Padmavathi, feeling bad that she had gotten in between Lakshmi and Vishnu, told Lakshmi that she could have Vishnu and she herself would return to her father's kingdom. While Lakshmi and Padmavathi started arguing about who would go away, Vishnu smiled and took seven steps back. Each step became one of the Tirumala mountains. When Lakshmi and Padmavathi looked back, they saw their Lord as a statue. Then they too turned into statues. After awhile, a priest found their statues and put them in the Tirupati temple on the seventh hill.

This scene is so cute - Lord Srinivasa taking 7 steps behind and hence the seven hills were formed. But again, what I heard was different. There was a contest between Adhisesha and Vaayu Deva as to who was the stronger. Adhisesha took hold of a Hill and Vaayu Dev tried to blow it away from Adhisesha's grip. The worlds were being destroyed by the fierce competition and the Devas pleaded Adhisesha to relent. He did so for the good of all the living beings and the hill was blown away to a great distance. But Adhisesha was dejected over losing the contest and hence went to the Earth brooding over his failure. Some say that Lord Vishnu turned him into the mountain range that resembles a snake - the Sapthagiri - the seven hills and blessed him saying that he will reside there as Venkateshwara. Some say that the seven hoods of Adhisesha became the seven hills. Some say that Adhisesha himself turned to stone. The Seven Hills also known as Sapthagiri are Seshadri, Vedadri, Garudadri, Anjanadri, Vrishabhadri, Narayanadri and Venkatadri. The path we take to reach the top of the Hill on which the Lord resides passes through all Seven Hills. 

This is how the movie showed it. I don't know how true it is though.😳    

Thanks for posting the story. It was really interesting to read it all. I have heard of the movie but I've never watched it.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

The King and Queen sent their reply (that they were happy to give their daughter to him) through Vakula Devi. Lord Venkateshwara consulted the Gods regarding the marriage with Padmavathi. They were happy about this too. Akaasha Rajan consulted the sages and sent the marriage invitation which was prepared to Lord Venkateshwara through Rishi Sukha. Lord Venkateshwara, in return sent his garland to the princess through the sage. The Lord borrowed a huge sum of money (as debt) from Kuber for the marriage. (It is said that the devotees give their offerings to the Lord to help him pay back Kuber and after all these ages he has not even paid back the interest - I do not know the source for this. It is an oral tale. Hence, Lord Venkateshwara is also called Vaddikaasuluvaada - the one who borrowed money - with interest.) The marriage was celebrated with great pomp.

While the couple were living happily, Devi Lakshmi came in search of her husband and found him already married. Devi Padmavati on seeing Devi Lakshmi was afraid that she will take him away from her. When the two women encountered each other, the Lord turned to stone. Both his consorts realised their folly and turned to stone themselves and stayed with their Lord. In the statue of Lord Venkateshwara, we can see the two Devis on either side of his chest. Some legends say that Lord Venkatshwara was tired and sick of all the misdeeds of the world and in desparation turned to stone. The mark of the Vaishnavaite (the naamam) is applied so that it hides the Lord's eyes. It is said that his gaze is so intense that it will scorch the Universe if left open. Some say that the Lord did not want to see the unjust world and hence he closed his eyes. The position of his hands - the right hand points to his feet saying that one should surrender to his feet and with his left hand he makes a gesture of protection symbolically saying that he protects whoever surrenders to him. Usually the statue is decked with jewels and flowers from head to foot. Only on Thursdays, the decorations are made only of flowers - only on this day the eyes and the feet of the Lord are made visible for the devotees.

This is a picture of the Lord's statue within the temple - the only one which was ever taken.

Wow, thanks for the story Vibs!👏⭐️ It is very interesting and all my doubts are now cleared. So Chaya Sita is really Vedavati?
And thanks a lot for the pic! You gave us the darshan of Shri Tirumala Venkatesa. Thank you soooo much!⭐️