Hamurabi's Code- An eye for an eye

Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 15 years ago
Yesterday's episode was one of the most powerful one of this show and is certainly one which has raised many issues.

First, was DM wrong in passing a judgement against his own son?

I would say no, he was not. He had no choice but to perform his duties as the leader.  In fact I am proud that he did not let his affection for his son cloud his sense of fairness.  He did not take the word of the villagers and immediately condemn his son. He called for a trial and it is only after he gave his son a fair chance to explain himself that he concluded the trial.  What he could have done is to step aside and ask a third person to examine this case since it was his own son who was the accused and there was a conflict of interest. That would have given him an easy way out in case the judgement goes against his son since he would not feel directly responsible for it. But the brave man he is, he did not choose to do so and instead steeled himself to do the job himself. Now that needs a lot of courage. Hats off to Ronit for pulling off an ace performance for bringing out the conflict between the father in DM and the leader in him.The scene where he passes the judgement with his eyes welling up was extremely moving.   

Coming to the judgement itself, was it harsh?

Yes,it was. It is a throw back to Hamurabi's code of an eye for an eye and we all know that it will make the whole world blind.  Are these archaic laws justified? Is the life of a man equivalent of that of a cow? Clearly not, atleast in modern world. I am not in favour of cruelty to animals here but the punishment far exceeded the 'crime'.  But then the whole story is set in a village seeped in customs, tradtions, casteism, superstition etc. So the entire situation is quite believable.

Did Hiten actually kill the cow?

Many here feel he did not and that there was some one else who had come later and killed the cow so as to put the blame on Hiten - some rival of DM. I personally do not think so.  It is very far fetched to think that this person whoever it was would ensure that Hiten gets blamed for it because as admitted by the little girl, she could not see the face of the person who had taken her cow to pull his car out of the ditch. If it had not been for the bracelet at the site of the 'mishap', nobody would have even suspected Hiten.  More importantly I feel that it is very probable for a cow to have died in pulling the car out of the ditch. Cows are not built to do such hardy tasks. If they were farmers would use them to pull the plough in the field and a plough would be far lighter than a huge car. This particular cow looked pretty under nurished too.  So it is very unlikely in my opinion that the cow could have survived what Hiten put it through. I would be pretty disappointed in this show if they now try to make us believe that the cow indeed was alive after that ordeal and was killed by someone else after that. The biggest strength of this show is that it is very close to reality.

If Hiten did kill the cow, did he deserve the harsh punishment he got?

No. As I said it is a not fair to equate a human life to that of an animal. More importantly, one needs to see the intent of the person. Hiten did not deliberately set out to kill the cow.  He did a very foolish thing by trying to get a cow to pull his car from the ditch.  The reason for that foolish act was that he was not in his senses to think clearly.  He was blinded by his anger against his father and was highly frustrated.  So unthinkingly he did something which had caused the loss of a life. He may not have even been aware that he had inadvertantly killed the animal for once the car was out of the ditch he would have driven off, not bothering to check back what became of the cow. He does need to be punished because he was shown to have scrace regard for the little girl's cries or for that poor animal's life.  But hanging him is not the quite the equivalent punishment. He could have been made to work in the fields or feed and take care of animals so that he can be made to realise the worth of humans and animals but he was not given any such punishment which will be a lesson to him for future.     

What should Santo do under the cicumstances?

My heart goes out to this innocent girl.  She finds herself in an unenviable position. On the one hand is the loss of her cow who was like her mother. On the other hand is the life of a man who is her husband's son. I would not consider her as his mother. It is ridiculous to do so first because she is still not accepted as DM's wife and second she is nearly five years younger to Hiten. But as a fellow human being who has a large heart, I would now expected her to make the villagers see how unfair they are to demand the death of a man for a crime he did not wilfully commit. I want her to prevail on their conscience, their good sense and their mercy to get Hiten out of this inextricable situation.

This will establish a lot of things:

- First, it will put this show above the run of the mill  BT stuff if they now try to make us believe that  a thin famished cow  managed to get the car out of the ditch and was killed by one of DM's enemy to frame Hiten.  This according to me would make it like any other nonsense BT show where all characters are either black or white.  What makes this show different from the rest of the BT bakwas is that it has a realistic setting with realistic people.  Very few people are all black or all white. All of us are various shades of grey.  From whatever they have shown so far, except for the children (Santo's little sister and DM's little daughter), Santo herself who is as innocent as a child and her grandfather who in his old age seems to have entered his second childhood, the rest of the characters are grey, some more than others. So it would be perfectly natural to show an overtly harsh DM whose pride and sense of fairness clouds his fatherly affection.  It is also natural for Hiten to have committed a blunder unintentionally as he was seething in anger against his father. 

- It will give scope for Santo to win the hearts of both the father and son. I dont think Hiten would immediately become Santo's fan but he will atleast not look at her with hate.

- In the broader sense this would address a wider social and moral issue.  Are the draconian practices of 'eye for an eye' justified? Where are human considerations? Afterall was it not enough for them to see that their leader put all his personal feelings for upholding the rules of the society they live in? Are manmade rules greater than man? If they come in the way of humaneness, should they not be changed?  If the villagers start questioning themselves and bring about a change in their mindset, then a strong message is sent through this story.

Sorry, I went on rambling for so long but had to get it off my chest.        

Edited by Opti - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gawker thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
opti!!!! good to see you here :) we go from one BT show to another eh? all the while trying to keep off ;)

as usual, wonderful analysis. you've covered everything - don't have much to add. really looking forward to how our young heroine handles this difficult situation.
soapie thumbnail

Opti ji,

Its wonderful to see you on here! I never missed a single post of your's on the Kayamath Forum😃

Very well written analysis! I have just finished reading the update and haven't watched the video yet, so cannot add much as of now!

But it was really nice reading the detailed write-up! Hope to see you more often here!

Soapie
Edited by soapie - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: Opti

Yesterday's episode was one of the most powerful one of this show and is certainly one which has raised many issues.
Did Hiten actually kill the cow?

Many here feel he did not and that there was some one else who had come later and killed the cow so as to put the blame on Hiten - some rival of DM. I personally do not think so.  It is very far fetched to think that this person whoever it was would ensure that Hiten gets blamed for it because as admitted by the little girl, she could not see the face of the person who had taken her cow to pull his car out of the ditch. If it had not been for the bracelet at the site of the 'mishap', nobody would have even suspected Hiten.  More importantly I feel that it is very probable for a cow to have died in pulling the car out of the ditch. Cows are not built to do such hardy tasks. If they were farmers would use them to pull the plough in the field and a plough would be far lighter than a huge car. This particular cow looked pretty under nurished too.  So it is very unlikely in my opinion that the cow could have survived what Hiten put it through. I would be pretty disappointed in this show if they now try to make us believe that the cow indeed was alive after that ordeal and was killed by someone else after that. The biggest strength of this show is that it is very close to reality.

i agree to the fact that the cow could have got killed while tryin to pull the car...... but .... but.... even if tried to use the cow as a means of a pullley then that was one big mistake he made.... (2) the cow belonged to mongi and he forcefully took the cow frm her..... that is a crime in its own  sense (3) when mongi tried to stop him he pushed her..... (4) that is his problem if he was not in his senses and drivin.... the law does not say tht if ur not in ur senses it is ok to drive.....tht way ur risking not only ur life but the life of others also on the road..... (5) i am assuiming tht since it was holi time he may have had bhang as it was shown tht others were havin it too..... so basically he was intoxicated... (6) if he really wanted to remove the car frm the ditch he could have called help frm the villagers.... common we all know tht in india people r willing to help on such occasions....nd he was the malik's son....any tom dick and harry would have come to his rescue (7) even if he took the cow for his own use he should have known tht the cow did not die b'coz of him.... might have got injured...... and should have defended himself in front of the panchayat.....but tht did not happen....

and yeah definitely DM is no one to give a death punishment to anyone in the village whether he is the malik or not..... i agree tht cow is sacred and many times cow slaughter has proved very disastrous for the nation.....and NO the villagers should not think twice before giving him any punishemnt.....yeah u might think i am old fashioned nd stupid to say tht..... but they have the right to show tht in front of the law all r equal..... and death punishment is not the solution to the problem here.....

dm did justice to the villagers..... but did he really do justice to his own son..... tht is a diff ques altogether....

i also agree tht eye for an eye is not the solution to this problem.....but we should not forget tht cow is very sacred in india.....

Opti thumbnail

Originally posted by: kooldesi_fun

i agree to the fact that the cow could have got killed while tryin to pull the car...... but .... but.... even if tried to use the cow as a means of a pullley then that was one big mistake he made.... (2) the cow belonged to mongi and he forcefully took the cow frm her..... that is a crime in its own  sense (3) when mongi tried to stop him he pushed her..... (4) that is his problem if he was not in his senses and drivin.... the law does not say tht if ur not in ur senses it is ok to drive.....tht way ur risking not only ur life but the life of others also on the road..... (5) i am assuiming tht since it was holi time he may have had bhang as it was shown tht others were havin it too..... so basically he was intoxicated... (6) if he really wanted to remove the car frm the ditch he could have called help frm the villagers.... common we all know tht in india people r willing to help on such occasions....nd he was the malik's son....any tom dick and harry would have come to his rescue (7) even if he took the cow for his own use he should have known tht the cow did not die b'coz of him.... might have got injured...... and should have defended himself in front of the panchayat.....but tht did not happen....

and yeah definitely DM is no one to give a death punishment to anyone in the village whether he is the malik or not..... i agree tht cow is sacred and many times cow slaughter has proved very disastrous for the nation.....and NO the villagers should not think twice before giving him any punishemnt.....yeah u might think i am old fashioned nd stupid to say tht..... but they have the right to show tht in front of the law all r equal..... and death punishment is not the solution to the problem here.....

dm did justice to the villagers..... but did he really do justice to his own son..... tht is a diff ques altogether....

i also agree tht eye for an eye is not the solution to this problem.....but we should not forget tht cow is very sacred in india.....

I am not sure whether you are agreeing with me here or not agreeing.  From what I gather you too feel that Hiten is not innocent and that the cow did die in being made to pull the car out of the ditch. Yes, I agree with you that Hiten had no business pulling that cow from that little girl by force. I am not giving his not being in his senses when he did the act as an excuse but as an explanation of it. He could have been intoxicate as well as angry, a deadly combination. He does deserve a punishnment but not as big as the one given to him.  As to doing justice to his own son, as you said that is a seperate issue. It is not as simple for the issue is far more complex and goes much beyond this incident.  From whatever they have shown of DM, he does not seem to be a man who exhibits his feelings easily. So the fact that he still loves and reveres his dead wife is not known to his children. Hence their anger against him is in some ways justified. Yes, the cow is a sacred animal but is a man's life not worth more? As to the villagers demanding justice, I am not questioning it. But if Santo makes them see that they need to be more compassionate in this case as the crime did not justify the punishment, then it will bring about a sort of social reform in the village.  Killing one another is not a solution to any problem.      
Edited by Opti - 15 years ago
Opti thumbnail

Originally posted by: gawker

opti!!!! good to see you here :) we go from one BT show to another eh? all the while trying to keep off ;)

as usual, wonderful analysis. you've covered everything - don't have much to add. really looking forward to how our young heroine handles this difficult situation.

Yeah, I tried to refrain from posting in any forum after my addiction in KYM forum but couldn't help myself after yesterday's episode.
Opti thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapie

Opti ji,

Its wonderful to see you on here! I never missed a single post of your's on the Kayamath Forum😃

Very well written analysis! I have just finished reading the update and haven't watched the video yet, so cannot add much as of now!

But it was really nice reading the detailed write-up! Hope to see you more often here!

Soapie

Thanks Soapie for welcoming me here. As to seeing me here often that depends how strongly I feel about something in the show. I am trying not to get addicted to either the show or the forum for my own sanity.
soap-critic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Very nicely written analysis Opti Ji. You have covered all the questions we viewers have running through our minds.

I do not believe in Hamurabi's policy. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. The punishment DM has metted out to Hiten is very harsh indeed. I am sure there are various ways in which a person committing 'gau hatya' or 'brahmin hatya' can get atonement for his sinful actions. Both of these are considered to be the highest level of sin in the Hindu religion. The scriptures should have in them ways such a sinner can repent awaken one's conscience. Such sinful acts must be happening in India at some point in time and I doubt that those persons are hanged?😕

The panchayat rules in these villages - true. But there should be something higher than that if a person wants to appeal right? Also, after the panch has announced their decision can the prosecuting party (in this case Santu and her Nanaji/villager) call on the panch again for a re-hearing? How does it all work?

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I am really not sure about how a panchayat really functions but certainly in this case, it has belted out a 'rarest-of-rare' punishment which I dont think was necessary ..

Opti,

Welcome to the forum .. your post was really super .. covered all the aspects of the track .. I agree with you that if they show that someone ELSE killed the cow after Hiten left, it would be sort of a disappointment because Bandini has always given a realistic touch tp all their tracks .. having said that, I also hope that what Virat said to Hiten about caring for him inspite of having a professional rivalry with his dad, is true ...

I think Santo will find out that Mawdi was ill when Mongi was bringing her home or something liek that .. and Hiten using her to pull his car just led to her complete exhaustion .. eventually her death ..
Brinjal thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Opti: You express your thoughts very well. Ya I quite agree it is damn addictive...Iam slowly getting seeped to it...where one part of me is still asking me to exercise some restrain.

A Capital Punishment for killing a Cow ...seems a very extreme measure. Even if Hiten has committed this crime in the given circumstances (where in all probability it seems so but certainly inadvertently, which is possible because anger is lethal and blinding)  

I know this is all SOAP, but i really would like to know if an Indian Gram Panchayat has been endowed with authority to mete out Capital Punishments???

And the setting shown in the serial is a village near Surat  ( not some unaccessible village in the interiors)  ...well connected by road, telephone, TV.