DOTW - Character or Story Focused?

-Shobha- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Hi, Guys.

I have been reading some of your comments on how the story is dragging.

What I wanted to know which of you are more character focused and which of you are more story focused.

I have to say that I am more character focused than the story. I don't look at the story I am more interested in actors' expressions, their dialogues delivery and the scenes.

Whenever I discuss the show with my friends and family I discuss the scenes, characters etc… not the story.

Also I am hooked on the chemistry between each character.

Bidaai I think is one of those dramas that had a good range of characters and I never get bored of watching them again and again on screen.

What do you lot think?

Mods you can close this topic if discussed before, and I was thinking if the mods could give us a list on what topics have been discussed over the week or month so we don't keep opening multiple topics.

Just a thought.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweet_shagun thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Well, Bidaai has both well sketched characters and a lovely storyline... to be precisely honest, if there is a scene involving favorite character i usually enjoy watching them and also save it... but thats human tendency i guess.... characters(esp the leads) r loved and prefered by many but if there are good scenes they are also appriciated and luckily the icing is the show had excellent story line with great actors who potray the characters so well that they r being loved by so many!!

Thats all had to say!!

Luv,

Shagun
hide thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
If the story is not there, how can you bring the character into it.. will they just come and do expressions or what??😡
AreYaar thumbnail
Characters and storyline are both very important. They can't exist in a vaccum apart from each other. I love all the characters in this show too since they are very well sketched and their interactions with each other are very interesting to watch. But that has to work in tandem with the story. If the storyline continues to be stuck at just one point, then those interactions/expressions of the characters start to look repetitive and stagnant no matter how well they are enacted by the actors.

That is why I feel it is high time now that the storyline moves into it's next phase....that way even the characters will evolve accordingly and we will get to see something different and interesting from all the characters as well as actors.
jiya25 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i think one of the reason we love the charachters so much is becoz of how they have evolved and grown over time. for example,

ranveer became more mature after anmol anamika incident and his way of looking at the beauty of a person changed, he morphed from just a carefree guy to a responsible adult.

alekh moved from just being a big brother in name to truly being a caring brother who went to extreme lengths to reunite his brother with his dost even if he didn't quite understand the meaning of that love. through the course of this story he also slowly became more aware of his responsiblities towards his own sadhna.

sadhna, can't say she has evolved or changed much, but without her perseverence, ragvir would never have happened

ragini, well she went from a timid girl to someone who believes that she is beautiful mostly becoz of the power of ranveers love...

so all these charachter sketches would not have been possible without beautiful storylines to support them......i think they go hand in hand, one is needed to sustain the other......

that being said, i would rather have a pointless romantic scene between the two jodi's anyday over a 'moving story forward' vasu kaushi crap.....
--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: lats55

If the story is not there, how can you bring the character into it.. will they just come and do expressions or what??😡

Why do u need to use this emoticon??

Well i feel that both are necessary for the viewers to watch the serial.

Bidaai has a good cast all very well suited to the roles they play, but the story line is equally important for the characters and actors to grow in their roles.  Stagnant storyline makes the actor and character also feel suffocative, but both are really important for a good serial.

blueash thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
good story is a must a must.....
missindia26 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I think both are very important
And of course I enjoy the storyline
But i would say I am more character focused
I  notice more how the actors speak, what thay are like, what they wear, what they think, chemistry with other actors

I think it is definetly about the characters i think that is what makes the show we have seen plenty of shows thats more about tracks but the characters have no basis to them and its like what the heck were they thinking no logic to them.Story is needed to support them however they do have a story it builds slowly rather than dragging for weeks and just focusing on that.
Soulink thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Without a good story line, even well sketched characters will definitely not make sense by itself. There needs to be a balance of both….realistic portrayals of characters can only add to the credibility of the story line and support the whole concept of a show….and of course if the characters are not made to evolve in the right direction, this will only result in derailing the story away from its track……the proof?...well majority of the audiences can clearly relate to that as to the muddling up of logic and sense in the recent episodes of bidaai…….it was all about rehashing older ideas as though all characters have come to a standstill point…..I wonder if the time froze on Bidaai sets?!

……… it seems pretty obvious that the creatives have somehow lost their sense of focus on their character sketching ….something which we used to pride ourselves in as loyal audience of bidaai and always praised this show as standing well above our appraisals……sadly though Rajan Shahi seemed to be having difficulties in maintaining his superior sense of direction ….and if he doesn't do something soon about it to redeem himself in our minds, he might as well start the countdown to doom day………..…..consistency linked with a strong concept IS the key element to sustain the survival of a serial nowadays…..

Come on Rajan shahi wake up!........stay focus if you want to stay clear from unwanted criticisms!