Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

spunkpattinson thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Originally posted by: godisone

Well said!👏😆👏 Wow, I've never met someone who did not know of Stephen King. One of my best friends loves his books.
But then again.............I've never heard of Twilight or Stephenie Meyers until a year ago, when they hype over the movie started. And I know lots of people who still don't know her. My parents for one have no clue who she or her series are, while they know JK Rowling and Harry Potter more than ever.😉

thanxxx for telling me!! u only learn and get to noe about things  when ppl tell you about it
aint that way!!!...😉😳
well!!! i believe any author cant simply just say statements like "sumone cant write or anything like that"....cox that provokes sentiments and sad feelings amongst die-heart fans which is out of words!!
and besides everyone has their own point of view!!! sum ppl like sum works while others like sum other authors creations!! its the approach or the idea behind it that captivates the reader!!....
Truly i had never even heard about stephenie meyer a year back!! bt after reading the twilight saga it surely sent me into the wonder land!!...so i guess i didnt make a mistake by reading the book!!....
And twilight i guess is limited to a certain age group!...i mean mostly teens!! while harry potter i must say is beyond!! i will nt compare it much as that myte go "against the forum rules"
thank u!😃
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: sarareimoo1

thanxxx for telling me!! u only learn and get to noe about things  when ppl tell you about it
aint that way!!!...😉😳
well!!! i believe any author cant simply just say statements like "sumone cant write or anything like that"....cox that provokes sentiments and sad feelings amongst die-heart fans which is out of words!!
and besides everyone has their own point of view!!! sum ppl like sum works while others like sum other authors creations!! its the approach or the idea behind it that captivates the reader!!....
Truly i had never even heard about stephenie meyer a year back!! bt after reading the twilight saga it surely sent me into the wonder land!!...so i guess i didnt make a mistake by reading the book!!....
And twilight i guess is limited to a certain age group!...i mean mostly teens!! while harry potter i must say is beyond!! i will nt compare it much as that myte go "against the forum rules"
thank u!😃

If Fans have a right to compare two books, then why not adults and other authors? Stephenie Meyer released 4 books that created a phenomenon. She has to be ready for some serious critique now😉, and she sure is getting it. There are some controversial things in Twilight that she has to be ready to explain and face. Too bad if it hurts the "sentiments" of Die Hard Fans. If she's able to take it, why aren't they?

JK Rowling, one of the most renown literature writers and comparable to JRT, herself faced a lot of controversy and critique, so why not Stephanie Meyers? Meyers isn't some God that's immune to criticism.😉🤪
spunkpattinson thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: godisone

If Fans have a right to compare two books, then why not adults and other authors? Stephenie Meyer released 4 books that created a phenomenon. She has to be ready for some serious critique now😉, and she sure is getting it. There are some controversial things in Twilight that she has to be ready to explain and face. Too bad if it hurts the "sentiments" of Die Hard Fans. If she's able to take it, why aren't they?

JK Rowling, one of the most renown literature writers and comparable to JRT, herself faced a lot of controversy and critique, so why not Stephanie Meyers? Meyers isn't some God that's immune to criticism.😉🤪

well perhaps i wouldnt like to carry the argument further!!...cox there is no end to this topic of stephenie v/s jK rowling!! or watsoever that whos better!!....i noe she aint sum god!!..never did i say soo!!
bt i guess i myself am exhausted over this whole fiasco!!!....
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I totally agree with Stephen King. I've read Twilight & Harry Potter both, and Harry Potter captivated me in a way no novel ever has. JK Rowling's style of writing keeps one hooked till the end. Her story has many plots & sub-plots, and they have been woven together in such a way that by the 7th book, you realize that NONE of the characters are waste. All of them have a reason to be in the book. Whereas Meyer's never-ending rant about how good-looking Edward is, had me dozing off 100 times while reading. She could not complete one chapter without mentioning how godly Edward is.

Twilight undoubtedly aims at the teenage girls, who look at the world through rose-coloured glasses & wait for a prince (Now vampire, because of Twilight) to come & sweep them off their feet. I am sure most of the fans drool over twilight because of Robert Pattinson.

So, for me JKR & Harry Potter all the way ! It's a classic & will live on..
Edited by liza93 - 15 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: liza93

I totally agree with Stephen King. I've read Twilight & Harry Potter both, and Harry Potter captivated me in a way no novel ever has. JK Rowling's style of writing keeps one hooked till the end. Her story has many plots & sub-plots, and they have been woven together in such a way that by the 7th book, you realize that NONE of the characters are waste. All of them have a reason to be in the book. Whereas Meyer's never-ending rant about how good-looking Edward is, had me dozing off 100 times while reading. She could not complete one chapter without mentioning how godly Edward is.

Twilight undoubtedly aims at the teenage girls, who look at the world through rose-couloured glasses & wait for a prince (Now vampire, because of Twilight) to come & sweep them off their feet. I am sure most of the fans drool over twilight because of Robert Pattinson.

Well said liza93!👏👏👏 
Harry Potter had so many plots and sub plots, and JK Rowling did not leave one unanswered question after finishing with Deathly Hallows. And as you said, each and every character had a role in Harry's life, and without even one of them, the story would not have been the same. Also, another great thing to applaud Mrs. Rowling on is her fantastic ability to manage so many characters.😲👏 Seriously, I could never have done what she did. Whenever I write a story for fun, the highest number of characters I can manage is like 10, and even that's hard. Eventually, I just kill of some of my characters because I don't know what to do with them.😆 It's amazing how JK Rowling managed all these characters, gave each of them a different personality, and not one of them is a Mary Sue, while 97% of the characters in Twilight are Mary Sues and have no depth to their character/personality.
It's so boring to read about how damn perfect these characters are! None of the Cullens have one fault! Do you know how boring a book gets when no one does anything wrong and everyone is perfect and the series is just a "happily ever after" story?
It's also missleading to teens who believe that there is a perfect guy out there like Edward Cullen, because there isn't, and there never will be. No one's perfect. But the scary thing is that lots of teenage girls love Twilight so much that they literally think that a "perfect guy" like Edward Cullen exists, and get angry when anyone tells them otherwise.
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: liza93

Twilight undoubtedly aims at the teenage girls, who look at the world through rose-coloured glasses & wait for a prince (Now vampire, because of Twilight) to come & sweep them off their feet. I am sure most of the fans drool over twilight because of Robert Pattinson.

As much as I like Harry Potter, I disagree that "none of the characters [in HP] are waste(d)". The characters of Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott (especially him!), Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson had a LOT of potential with a character arc. Fighting against nurture and subsequently, nature triumphing constitutes for a lot of interesting plots and characterization. Their characters had a lot of potential that was unused and would have elevated the books in my eyes. Rowling does have a marvelous ability to tie up all the loose ends though. Minus the epilogue, which was the weakest part of Deathly Hallows. Scratch that. The weakest part of the whole series.

You hit the nail on the head with Twilight, though. I wonder if it has to do with the first-person restrictive narration - we never really leave Bella's mind and Bella's mind is a hollow log that echoes the thoughts of the Id in flowery language again and again and again. Perhaps if the book was written in third person (omniscient or restrtictive), with less thesaurus rape and less purple prose, it would have been more tolerable?
U-No-Poo thumbnail
@ ShadowKisses - The characters you mentioned may not have
contributed to the max of their potential, but they were certainly not wasted. Specially Draco Malfoy. But this is where perspective comes in, he may not have contributed enough according to you, but he did contribute according to me. But yes, the epilogue could certainly have been better, I agree with you there.

I also agree with you about Twilight. First person narration was one of the factors that diluted the intense flow of the story. Personally, I am not fond of Bella's character because it is one-dimensional, and reading the book through her perspective made the entire story seem one-dimensional.  
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: ShadowKisses

As much as I like Harry Potter, I disagree that "none of the characters [in HP] are waste(d)". The characters of Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott (especially him!), Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson had a LOT of potential with a character arc. Fighting against nurture and subsequently, nature triumphing constitutes for a lot of interesting plots and characterization. Their characters had a lot of potential that was unused and would have elevated the books in my eyes. Rowling does have a marvelous ability to tie up all the loose ends though. Minus the epilogue, which was the weakest part of Deathly Hallows. Scratch that. The weakest part of the whole series.

You hit the nail on the head with Twilight, though. I wonder if it has to do with the first-person restrictive narration - we never really leave Bella's mind and Bella's mind is a hollow log that echoes the thoughts of the Id in flowery language again and again and again. Perhaps if the book was written in third person (omniscient or restrtictive), with less thesaurus rape and less purple prose, it would have been more tolerable?

I'm surprised that you thought Draco Malfoy's character had more potential. I thought his was one of the best developed characters. But anyway, that depends on different perspectives and different expectations each person had when reading the series I guess. I personally felt that all the characters contributed something to the books.
And I'm also one of half who enjoyed the epilogue and thought it a fitting ending to the series.😆
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Ok everyone, I hate to be the spoilsport here but I think that we are getting off topic here, seeing as the conversation has been geared now towards Harry Potter rather that the merits\faults in the writing of the Twilight series, especially since we are on the Twilight section! :) (Maybe we can move the discussion regarding the the merits\faults of HP to that section)

On that note I agree with the sentiments already stated, that readng the book from Bella's perspective alone was a contributing factor to my dislike of the novel. Shadowkiss I do agree with you in that maybe had the book been written in Third person and we had a more comprehensive outlook at the other characters, maybe it would have proved to be a more intriguing read. (I know that that was alot of "maybe's) As it was reading the book from a puesdo mature teenager's POV was highly irritating and this may have been amended had the story been told in thirs paerson. (I hate to drw the reference here, especially in light of the earlier part of the post, but although HP was about a teenage boy, thankfully we didn't have to live the entire series through his mind and thoughts alone.) 

Edited by shellytt - 15 years ago
U-No-Poo thumbnail
This is a really detailed article on both the books, a set of 5 questions were debated upon by debators from both the sides, namely, Twilight & Harry Potter. It is a wonderful insight into both the different world,s helped me form an opinion :)

It's a must read.