Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gauri92 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
well......i dunno abt others, but i think stephen king is completely correct....stephanie cannot write....

i read a lot....and ususally take a max of 2 days to finish a book...but i couldn't bring myself to finish teh twilight series, which i had my dad gift to me fer my b'day...all 4 books...

i had 2 force myself to finish the first one, pushed myself through the second (b'cuz jacob and bella's interactions made it slightly bearable) and did not read any more....

the are very badly written....the word 'shining' has been used god knows how many times....

and while many ppl mite find HP boring, it has managed to appeal to both males and females alike....twilight is mostly read by teenage females who simply find edward hot....thts abt it......
Edited by gauri92 - 15 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Well, what he said is his own opinion. If nearly the whole world is expressing their opinions about Harry Potter vs. Twilight, why can't he? And he does have some good points you know. Meyers is talking to a whole new generation of girls (teenage girls at that too), so whatever she prints out should be good and better have some good morals in it.

Personally, Twilight bored the heck out of me. I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in about two days, and Twilight took me at least a week. It may be because I'm not at all interested about Vampires, or any romantic books involving vampires, but I felt there was something lacking in Meyer's writing. It did not have the charm that Rowling's books have. I also felt that Meyers dragged out the story too much in the beginning and speeded up in the end, leaving me dis-satisfied and altogether disappointed in the series that became such a phenomenon. I also could not connect/relate to any of the characters. It made me not want to go on with the series.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tani91

what he said is actually true...I love Twilight but it is poorly wrriten....almost as if a high schooler wrote it...but Rowling is fantastic...she uses imagery and details that you just cant help but fall in love with her words...Myers is also good but she shows and doesnt tell where as JKR shows AND tells her story

Well said!👏

Originally posted by: mona18

Agreed! I tried my best reading the HP books but I couldnt move on. It just depends on what a person likes. If you love magic and wizards, its normal then for ppl to love HP. I know the way its written is truly incredible but for me it depends on the content as well. I am not very much into wizards and hence I like Twilight series more coz of its content. Again that's my POV.

Its not "only" about the content. HP has been written using very good english language and symbolisms, whereas Twillihgt has been written badly. Its not only about the content. Trust me, I have more interests regarding love stories, than some fantasies. Infact I never did like magic/wizard kin-of things before. Only aftwer I got to read HP my perception on it changed. If Twillight was written using better English then I would have definitely loved Twillight more.

Now you might say that it depends ona person's POV on what he/she may consider as "good english", and yes to some extent u r correct. But if u read the crtical accalim Twillight has got in comparison with HP, you will notice that almost all big writers had praised the language that has been used in HP rather than Twillight.😳

Labib

Originally posted by: suuunshiine

AHahahahah.. I saw that on mtv canada like 2-3 days ago.. Stephen King is amazing.. and perfectly correct.

Originally posted by: Insanity

hahaha.

And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet.

👍🏼 Agreed..

Originally posted by: RandomSquared

i actually agree wit him

i luv twilight, but it's really not great writing jus a great story

Coiuldn't agreee with the above posts anymore!!!😃 Very nicely said😛👏
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: stranger@mirror

Its not "only" about the content. HP has been written using very good english language and symbolisms, whereas Twillihgt has been written badly. Its not only about the content. Trust me, I have more interests regarding love stories, than some fantasies. Infact I never did like magic/wizard kin-of things before. Only aftwer I got to read HP my perception on it changed. If Twillight was written using better English then I would have definitely loved Twillight more.

Now you might say that it depends ona person's POV on what he/she may consider as "good english", and yes to some extent u r correct. But if u read the crtical accalim Twillight has got in comparison with HP, you will notice that almost all big writers had praised the language that has been used in HP rather than Twillight.😳

Labib

Well said.👏
If a story has a wonderful plot but is written badly, it doesn't appeal to lots of people, myself included. Now, if a story is well written but has an average plot, I'll give it its credit and may even continue with the series, because I give a lot of importance to the English Language.

I only read Twilight, but didn't continue with the rest of the series, because it bored the heck out of me. But if it was well written and the plot was thought out more, I would have gone on. S Meyer's writing bugged me a lot, so I didn't continue.
Edited by godisone - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: ShadowKisses

^LOL. I doubt King is "jealous" of her. He has sold roughly about 350 million copies of his books, a lot more than Meyer has. He's got nothing to be jealous of. As for him being "mean" - ROFL. Your reasoning would suggest that Harold Bloom, renowned literary critic, is the meanest person on the face of Earth considering the number of authors he has critiqued.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I don't think that anyone can define the literary quality of a book by the level of enjoyment felt while reading the book as that is an extremely subjective analysis. For instance, I've read many a classics that have driven me towards tears of boredom but that doesn't mean that the prose isn't well-written. In my opinion, one shouln't dismiss the literary value of a book merely because it wasn't their thing.

All in all, I don't think Meyer's writing is literary at all. And to think she is the one who claims that Wuthering Heights "sucks so heartily" is ironic when her writing isn't much better than that of an amateurish fanfiction writer.

Wow U r a great debater. And I agree, I have read hundreads of books which I found to be extremely boring and irritating, but I won't deny the literary qualities they have got. Similarly I have read thousands of books that have made me fall in love with the books, but at the same time I won't deny that many of those books doesn't have literary qualities.

Originally posted by: hot_girl_2525

same here

if the target is teen audience then why use big words every third paragraph...people don't want to carry a SM book and dictionary 24/7

Maybe she had mixed up for whom she was writing the novel? Or maybe she wanted to write it for all ages, but the book ended up being a book only read/liked by teenage girls?😉

By the way I agree with Tani, Godison and with the MAJORITY of this thread. 👏

Originally posted by: godisone

Well said.👏
If a story has a wonderful plot but is written badly, it doesn't appeal to lots of people, myself included. Now, if a story is well written but has an average plot, I'll give it its credit and may even continue with the series, because I give a lot of importance to the English Language.

I only read Twilight, but didn't continue with the rest of the series, because it bored the heck out of me. But if it was well written and the plot was thought out more, I would have gone on. S Meyer's writing bugged me a lot, so I didn't continue.

Exactly my point!! Trust me, before I used to hate the HP books thinking thatthey are childish and nonsense, as I wasn't interested into things like wizardsa/magic, etc. But one day when I was feeling bored I took Philosophers stone and started reading, and my whole perception on the books changed. Now what is the reason for that? Did i suddenly got interested in magic and wizards? It is unlikely, cause I am never ever interested in such things. The reason why I liked HP was because og the way it was written, the extremely rich language JKR had used.

About Twillihgt, when I heard the plot of it from my friend, I got interested in reading the book, as I prefer loves story more than magic and all. But as soon as I started reading the book I realized that it was extremely badly written, with poor English. And that's why, even though I liked the plot of Twillihgt much more than HP, I liked reading HP more.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: stranger@mirror

Wow U r a great debater. And I agree, I have read hundreads of books which I found to be extremely boring and irritating, but I won't deny the literary qualities they have got. Similarly I have read thousands of books that have made me fall in love with the books, but at the same time I won't deny that many of those books doesn't have literary qualities.

Wow, you both are so correct. Twilight, no matter how good someone thinks it is, is not literature. There's a difference between classic literature and good books. Not every famous book is literature. And every author who releases a book should be ready for criticism. Not everyone is going to like her series, and authors as great and acclaimed as Stephen King have a right to critique authors who have newly become famous. Rowling faced a lot of this when she first became famous. Meyers should be ready for this too.