Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR?

Pradarshak thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Sorry(if you are already tired of debating in the other thread) for starting another thread on SDM, though a different question. After winning 4 Golden Globes, do you think it will win Oscars too? If so or otherwise, what's your view on SDM as a  front-runner movie for Oscars? How do YOU rate it as a movie?

Your views????
Edited by Pradarshak - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RUSmart thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Fortunately it will win about 5 to 6 Oscars. Unfortunately for India the Movie "Taare Zameen Par" was eliminatedfromthe nominations. This movie of Aamir Khan was much more deserving that Slumdog Millionare.

Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: RUSmart

Fortunately it will win about 5 to 6 Oscars. Unfortunately for India the Movie "Taare Zameen Par" was eliminatedfromthe nominations. This movie of Aamir Khan was much more deserving that Slumdog Millionare.

TZP could have had a shot at getting nominated had "Ishaan" being a kid from SLUM/DHARAVI and the teacher a  dedicated GOREY social worker and length of the movie cut short. Whatever, we are proud of TZP from the perfectionist Khan.
Edited by Pradarshak - 15 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
For the technical aspects and for the score, I think Slumdog is worthy of winning a few Oscars. I have not seen any of the other best picture nominated movies, so I cannot really say if Slumdog wins. From feedback I hear from people, Benjamin Button is a better movie - but I don't know as I have not seen it yet. While I think Slumdog is an excellent movie and I would love to see it win best movie at Oscars too - it lacks the punch some movies like Crash had.

BTW I am rooting for MIA to win a grammy for Paper Planes.

As for TZP, I think it would have had a better chance if it was a blind deaf quadraplegic autistic child  - because practically every other American is a pill popping mildly dyslexic suffering from acute ADD. They are all Ishaans sans the talent.
Edited by return_to_hades - 15 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

del

Edited by qwertyesque - 15 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I dont think its a Gr8 movie!........but the way they present the story..directed so nicely....😊I think AR hv chance win Oscar this time😃
apux thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

As for TZP, I think it would have had a better chance if it was a blind deaf quadraplegic autistic child  - because practically every other American is a pill popping mildly dyslexic suffering from acute ADD. They are all Ishaans sans the talent.

completely agree!  Just look into the American public school system, you'll find many Ishaans!  A story about autistic child would be far more appealing to the West because this disorder still has many unanswered questions. 
chal_phek_mat thumbnail
I dont care if TZP is nominated or winning the oscar, It has done a fabulous job, a country where problems with kids disabilities have been shoved away as God's wrath, it was an accomplishment. The fact that Aamir staying with the concept all through the end was awesome, It was more awesome that the film did so well. The movie was an excellent effort to demonstrate why just being a doctor/engineer does not qualify a child to be succesful. t would make fine sense of me to say oh if the movie wasnt about a kid who is dyslexic it would have been successful😉

Coming to Slumdog Millionaire. If I the Indian within me was pulling for someone to win a Oscar about a Indian subject. It would be "Smile Pinki" http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dTAgx2j2c

Yeah I want SDM to win Oscars for Jai Ho for Gulzar and ARR, although it isnt even remotely the best work either one has done, so technically it aint worth it either and that is the best nomination up there

Rest  dont care, ain't worth it, others have done a much better job.
Edited by chal_phek_mat - 15 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
TZP is an excellent movie, I would say one of the finest movies made in Bollywood in recent times. In fact in my personal opinion TZP rates higher than SDM.

Unfortunately, in many western countries children are coddled to the extent that under achievement and mis achievement are allowed as a part of a child's individuality. It is impossible for them to wrap their heads around such a system where teachers, parents and peers are so harsh on a child. Amidst our friends who watched the movie Indians and Asians were the ones who could understand the burden of expectations. While Americans were touched and cried too, it was harder for them to understand the Indian education system.

Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
btw
Danny Boyle praised TZP , and aamir

(Danny's daughter is also dylexic)

Another thing,
which movie deserves what........and questions like these

have we ever thought as to whether we deserve to make a specific decision regarding such topics........

We are entitled to an opinion, but more importantly , specifically in such cases,
we should not have very rigid , narrowed down choices/mindset
There are a lot of factors involved, some of which we might not be aware of even remotely.........
And even more importantly , which ever movie wins whatever,
it is we and only we as individuals who know the effect of a  movie on ourself
So , if a particular movie strikes a cord with our heart,
the movie has won an oscar for us...........thats all that matters........rather thats all that should matterhttps://www.google.com/images/firefox/light.gif