'Who knew Saroj Khan before Nach Baliye?'by farah

missmasakalli thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

'Who knew Saroj Khan before Nach Baliye?'

Farah Khan talks about judging Nach Baliye 4
By Anil Merani . Oct 15, 2008
Comments [1]   E-mail

Farah Khan loves reality shows. This ace film director and choreographer has previously judged Indian Idol seasons 1 and 2, Jhalak Dikhla Ja season 1 and Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star. And now she is all set to judge Star Plus' celebrity couple dance show Nach Baliye 4.

"I have always followed and liked this format. Besides TV pays well and I just have to be myself," says Farah. We chatted up with the choreographer just before her show is about to go on air. Here's what she had to say...

Do you think not having a very well known jodi will harm Nach Baliye 4 prospects?

I agree, I hardly know any of them. And yes, lack of established faces will affect the show. But having said that, not having much idea about them is better for me as I can mark them more objectively.

One major reason for the lack of more visible faces might be that most have been exhausted by now. And you also need jodis unlike say a Jhalak. Forget jodis there is a mad rush these days to find judges as well. Some celebrities are alternating between judging participants and anchoring!

What will be your yardstick for judging the participants?

I will look at the technique, style, emotions and attitude. The way some of them performed at the press conference was not up to the mark, they will have to pull up their socks.

I will also take into consideration the fact that the jodis are not professional dancers. But sometimes more than steps, what really works in your favour is the chemistry. Take Shah Rukh and Kajol for example, both are not very great dancers, but yet they set the screen on fire.

And what about the choreographers?

Aaaah yes! I will first sc*** the choreographers. They need to make sure of the strong points of their jodis. They need to know what to highlight and which weaknesses to hide. I have made many bad dancers look good!

Tell us something about your co-judges...

I played an important role in roping in Arjun Rampal. As for Karisma, she is a great dancer herself. Just check out her moves in Dil To Pagal Hai.

Being a self-confessed reality show junkie, don't you think the format has been done to death?

Everybody says the same thing, yet reality shows bring in the best TRPs. I am hooked on to Big Boss 2. My social life has gone for a toss.

So what do you think? Was Season 1 better than Season 2?

Yes I agree. The show needs to be spiced up. It's getting drab now after a good start. Having only one colourful central personality like Rahul Mahajan is not enough.

Do you think it would be better if reality show seasons were spaced out further?

No once a year is a must. If the audience like you, it's better to come sooner. There is a chance that some thing else might creep up.

Now coming to the most asked question - how real are reality shows?

Nobody has the guts to ask me play hanky-panky in any of my shows. If you take a look at Jo Jeeta..., it was all real emotions. We did not fight nor walk off in a huff. But about other shows, all I can say is that most of the drama does seem to have been instigated, if not scripted.

What's your take on audience voting?

If you remember I had changed the entire system in Jo Jeeta... I demand an equal importance for both audience voting and judges reactions.

However you cannot deny the importance of SMS voting, which gives the viewers a sense of involvement. Many shows which don't have public voting have not really clicked.

Were you invited for Indian Idol 4?

No. When they decided on the judges, I had just come out of pregnancy. It's a good...great format. But I prefer Nach... over Idol as it involves dancing. Annu Mallik is the saving grace of that show, had he not been there Idol would have been very boring.

Since you have been a part of Indian Idol since season 1, how do you see the contestants' profile changing?

Idol 1 rocked for it entailed rank newcomers getting a complete makeover. But then things changed. Subsequent show participants have become like Miss India. Most of them come well prepared, ie, how to act on stage, when to burst into tears etc. Maybe this was one of the reasons why Idol 2 flopped. Nach is different. For we don't have outsiders. All jodis are known celebrities.

Would you consider taking part in a reality show?

Yes. Something like Amazing Races with Shah Rukh as my partner to carry my bags, would be interesting.

What does a reality show give to the judges?

It gives technicians, choreographers and other people behind the camera a face. Who knew Saroj Khan before Nach? I have also become well known worldwide, thanks to such formatted TV shows.

Your film Om Shanti Om was not selected for the Oscars...

It's quite sad that the film federation does not have the foresight to choose a film like OSO, which would have surely made it to the finals.

Which dance form do you like the most ?

That's a very difficult question. I would want each of my children to excel in Jazz, Indian classical and Ballet respectively.

Personally I find Indian the most hardest for I am not trained in that craft. My forte as you all know is Bollywood, the most famous Indian dance form.

Who according to you will make the best dancer jodi in Bollywood?

Hritihik Roshan is the best dancer. As for jodi, I don't think any other female actor can rise up to his level.

What about your next film Happy New Year?

We will start shooting from next year onwards. My kids need to be big enough to travel.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aaliya-Rafa thumbnail
Farah always speaks her mind. She does scare me at times!
Thanx for posting.
Reatta23 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
umm...saroj khan is a MUCH more established choreographer than her. what is she talking abt ppl not knowing saroj khan?!?!?! also, she herself said she finds indian dance difficult, whereas saroj khan's choreography is all indian, and she can also do modern. over all, saroj khan is a much more versatile dancer than her, so she reali shudnt b commenting abt saroj khan as if she is so much better herself...
Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
um I knew Saroj Khan before Nach Farah!!! lol

I agree with Aliya...she speaks her mind which sometimes gets scary
*king* thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
the king knew saroj khan b4 nach baliye. its not right on farah's part 2 comment on saroj khan.
Osprisshow thumbnail
Ahhha...poor Farah..........she said nothing but everything of ehr mind...😕
seesaw128 thumbnail
I think Saroj Khan was well known b4 these reality shows whereas Farah came into limelight after Indian Idol...And ya OSO over TZP in Oscars.Right!!! We dont want to repaet Eklavya history..Ppl there are not gonna please u or SRK..Farah..So wake up dear
maaha16 thumbnail
farah khan needs a reality check..... sweetheart what exactly are you talking about??!! who doesnt know saroj khan! the woman who taught madhuri to dance! n yeah abt OSO making it to the oscars...well everyone can dream high but reality is reality......OSO is NOT oscar material........ even a blind person would choose TZP over OSO only by hearing the dialogues!
SuhanaSafar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Ooooh, not smart.  Saroj Khan is a very respected choreographer who was renowned well before the start of Nach Baliye.  Farah may not have meant to be disrespectful, but it sure came off that way.

And about her delusional notion that OSO would have made it to the Oscar foreign film nomination over a film of the calibre of TZP...all I have to say is this: 🤣

But just to let you guys know, I'm not a hater.  Farah Khan is easily my favorite choreographer in Bollywood.  Not such a fan of her films though.
Edited by SuhanaSafar - 15 years ago
krangara thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
What a load of bull!!!!!!!   Farah (who is actually an extremely over-rated choreographer) is well-aware that she can never rise to the stature of a legend like Saroj Khan, and hence is defaming her (100x) more talented senior!!!!!!! 

BTW, Ms Khan, Saroj Ji's brilliance, combined with Madhuri's vivacious expressiveness, in Ek Do Teen ensured that FILMFARE institute the BEST CHOREOGRAPHY category for the FIRST TIME!

So, why don't you stick to movie-making, and leave dancing to the more illustrious geniuses!