Posted: 15 years ago

Courtesy: rediff.com. It also has the video of Imran Khan's interview. http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2008/sep/26video2.htm

The name is Khan. Imran Khan. You have watched him romance in Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na. Now, you will get to watch him turn villain in Kidnap, releasing on October 2.
Kidnap has been directed by Dhoom director Sanjay Gadhvi, and co-stars Sanjay Dutt and Minissha Lamba. In an exclusive interview, Imran talks to Nithya Ramani, and tells her how he would love to kidnap Minissha and take her to a lonely island in real life. Was there added pressure on you, after the huge success of Jaane Tu? Yes. When you are doing your first film, there are no expectations. Nobody knows what to expect. If you are unfortunate enough to have a successful first film, expectations suddenly go up. I wasn't nervous for Jaane Tu but now I am. I'm having sleepless nights. So what is Kidnap about? Some people have the wrong notion that it is a copy of Mel Gibson's Ransom. Some think it's an inspiration from Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando. But it's not from either. It is an original script. The film is a struggle between Sanjay Dutt and me, with Minissha caught in the middle.

It's a struggle between Minissha and me as well. She is not the suffering damsel in distress, she gives me back as much as she takes from me. She fights, struggles, looks for a way out... she is tough.

Tell us about the transition from a chocolate hero to a villainous kidnapper. The transition, honestly, wasn't easy. I had a tough time because the character [in Kidnap] was very different and unlike me in real life. It was difficult for me to get a hold of this guy, that too on a day-to-day basis. I thought I wasn't getting the violence and the anger right. You can't see it but it is always there, just below the surface. Music helped me a lot for this. I would listen to death metal and trash metal every morning, on my way to the sets, in-between shots... And that's very fast and angry music. It helped me build the character. But all credit to Sanjay Gadhvi. I couldn't have done this without him. He really shaped up the character and got the performance out of me. What was the brief given to you? It wasn't as simple as a brief. A brief is two-three lines about the character. Here, I had to sit down and go through it in detail. We did a lot of rehearsals, for two and a half weeks. And Sanjay was always there to help me. If I wasn't getting something right, he would tell me to make some changes -- it could be as simple as not to blink while saying a dialogue. Even that makes a difference. How was the experience of working with Sanjay Dutt?

Working with Baba was great. He was really sweet. He has a lot of love for Aamirmamu, so I guess that passed on to me. The first day I was pretty nervous and scared around him but he went out of his way to make sure I was okay.

You worked with both Genelia D'Souza and Minissha. Who was better? It's hard to say, both of them are so different. Genelia works in a spontaneous way. She will turn up on the sets and do things, and I would be lost. Lamba, on the other hand, is very meticulous. She will take her script and make notes, circle words, mark the volume up or down in the margin... She would sit in her van for hours and rehearse. Then, she would rattle away her lines perfectly on the sets. I admired that a lot. So I'm going to go with Minissha. I relate more to her style of working. I'm not as bad as she is, but I do work that way. There has been a lot of delay during the shoot of Kidnap. Why was that? There was a lot of stress and tension. Producers had put in a lot of money, and all our careers were at stake. Baba had gone to jail, so the shoot was shelved. You have grown a beard. Is that for style? No, this is for my look in Delli Belly. What look did you have in Kidnap?

They wanted a mean look, so I had a different haircut. It was more like a hawk cut. I also worked out a lot and put on some muscles. It's difficult for me to put on weight, so I had to do a lot of weights and less cardio in the gym. I worked out for six days a week, two hours a day. My diet had a lot of proteins and carbs.

Tell about the action scenes in Kidnap. One does tend to get hurt during stunts. The security system has become hi-tech and you will not have a major accident. But minor injuries do take place. My character Kabir has to jab a knife between Minissha's fingers. I know how to do that, and I suggested that I do the scene myself. But Sanjay refused. So we used an artificial knife for the long shots and a real knife for close-ups. How has life changed after Jaane Tu? How do you, and your girlfriend Avantika, deal with your stardom? As soon as Jaane Tu released, I went to South Africa. So I wasn't here to face the recognition that I got. When I returned, the media asked me the same question. I said there was no difference at all. Avantika is happy, and cool with my female fan following. What will we see you in next?

Soham's Luck. We have almost finished the film, only the climax is left. It is an action thriller. Then, there is Abhinay Deo's Delly Belly. It is not a sex comedy, like some people think. It is a caper comedy.

You have a tattoo at the back of your neck. Was that for Kidnap? No, I've had it since I was 17. The tattoo did not suit my role in Jaane Tu, so we covered it with make-up and costumes. It suited Kidnap, so we have shown it. What's your favourite song from the film? I love Mit Jaye. Not only because it is picturised on me [winks] but also because it is a genuinely wonderful track. It is a promotional video, which gives you an idea of my character and a glimpse of the film. Is it true that you haven't watched Jaane Tu yet? The final cut, yes. I was too busy with promotions then and later, did not get the time. Do you intend to watch Kidnap? I haven't watched it yet but yes, I hope to watch it. If you had to kidnap someone, and take her to a lonely island, who would it be? I think I'll kidnap Minissha again. I get along with her very well. I like her, she is very intelligent. Does Aamir help you in your projects? No. Everybody says that he chooses my scripts for me. That's not true. He does not even know what I am doing sometimes! He only has a vague idea of what Luck is about. How has your family reacted to Taare Zameen Par?

I only go home to sleep and take a bath! I haven't had the time to sit and talk to mom, or know what everyone's reaction is.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Imran Khan's next movie titled 'Luck' stars Kamal Hassan's daughter Shruti Hassan. Aamir Khan recommended Shruti because he wanted her to debut opposite Imran.'Luck' again has Sanjay Dutt with Imran Khan.
friends_rock thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

thanks maya...

interesiting all prasies for Minnisha lolz...he has some reallyy good movies in hand....cant wiat for them
For a debutant he is doing a lot of movies. 2 releases in 2008, his debut year and 2 releases in 2009. For him it is all about work. Good! He already finished 2 movies this year and started working on another.

interesiting all prasies for Minnisha lolz...he has some reallyy good movies in hand....cant wiat for them

Welcome Hira. Somehow I get the feeling that he is more comfortable with Minnisha. He looks the serious kind and charming too.

Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
or maybe genelia is a good actress, didn't she got the credit in the movie too. minissha is realy boring and these days i don't know what has she done to her face. i hope she didn't got any surgery.
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zareena

or maybe genelia is a good actress, didn't she got the credit in the movie too. minissha is realy boring and these days i don't know what has she done to her face. i hope she didn't got any surgery.

Imran is boring too!! ๐Ÿ˜† He is all about work as Maya said...you have to appreciate the guy's honesty. It is so so so refreshing to hear from an actor to say that he prefers one actress over the other. Heart this guy!!
Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
WOW Imran definately is brave to mention on over the other....he's honest!! I'm really starting to like this guy now...not that I didnt before
ProdigalStudent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

For a debutant he is doing a lot of movies. 2 releases in 2008, his debut year and 2 releases in 2009. For him it is all about work. Good! He already finished 2 movies this year and started working on another.

Welcome Hira. Somehow I get the feeling that he is more comfortable with Minnisha. He looks the serious kind and charming too.

Maya I feel the same way too. With Genelia in Jaane Tu he didn't seem to have many intense and passionate scenes, but over in Kidnap its sorta the opposite. I think that speaks volumes about their comfort level!!! Though I like him both with Genelia and Minissha (though I prefer Imran and Minissha more). ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
ProdigalStudent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tani91

WOW Imran definately is brave to mention on over the other....he's honest!! I'm really starting to like this guy now...not that I didnt before

Ditto feel same here and to the brave part - totally agree. Infact, you know he's working with the director Soham Shah for Luck, and this guy has made Kaal... so an interviewer asked him if he watched Kaal and did he like it... and Imran says that quite honestly he watched the film and did not like Kaal, and said "Sorry Soham" to the camera, but he says that Soham has lots of potential, and that the script of Luck is great...

Now I think that takes real guts according to me!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Edited by meteora_smt - 15 years ago
awww why not Genelia..
lol its kaii
i sitll luvv uu