Poll

Do you think Daler Mehndi is appropriate to judge SRGMP at this stage?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
taikoo thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Guys, Daler may be a famous Bhangra musician...but I am bit concerned about low quality judges like him being chosen by SRGMP producers at this stage of the competition... as this may send out wrong signals to the competitors. Edited by taikoo - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dazlingflower thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree with you. He was very rude. I was surprised that he knew a thing about music. Other judge was very elegant in his comments.
taikoo thumbnail
From the other posts understand he was commenting about how many times each of the contestants lost sur. Let him sing the same songs and we will see how perfect is his sur sense.

kishore_bhakta thumbnail
I saw Daler Mehndi's episodes the last two days and I agree he is absolutely horrible.

Singing in sur is important! Singing "tivra ma" instead of "pa" is unforgiveable or singing "Sa" and "Pa" off-key is unforgiveable. However, singing a few cents off other notes should not be counted against them. If you study Indian music, you'll realize that they are not equally tempered like Western music or today's filmi scene which is mostly Western music. If you count off-keys as the only base, then you will be throwing out Mukesh.

Mukesh was a very sweet singer and infuse the feelings of dard into any song. However, he does have the tendency to go slightly off-key many times. (Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein, Jis Gali Mein Tera Ghar Na Ho, Jinhe Hum Bhool Na Chahe). Even though he had this one tendency, after Kabhi Kabhie, every music director wanted him. So, Daler's sur-tallying is not the only acceptable method.

I'll still say this, judging a show like this is much harder as you cannot measure expression, feelings, etc.
chandoba thumbnail
one more from my side... aa laut ke aaja mere meet..
mera suna pada re sangeet..
ismein SUNA is off key..
j y o t i thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dazlingflower

I agree with you. He was very rude. I was surprised that he knew a thing about music. Other judge was very elegant in his comments.

i agree wit u and i to was a bit surprised he new nething at all bout music

taikoo thumbnail

Originally posted by: MrspetloverUS

Daler, U may be OK Bhangra singer but remember most of your off tune notes you yourself may not recognize in the loud DHOL music. Also there is no judge (Daler) sitting there judge you otherwise your mistakes & off sur notes would be caught by him. In today's recorded music lots of OFF notes and Pitches gets corrected by Hi-Tech equipment. So give a 17 year old a break would you?? Instead of counting how many times she "Sur se gayi". There u go with my 2 cents.......

PS: You are no league with Harbajan Mann & Jazzy B when it comes to Bhangra.😈

completely agree with you...👏👏👏

just wondering how he got out of those judicail/police custodies landed up in a prestigious programme like SRGMP and disturbing us with his stupid comments and questionable judgments (e.g. vishwas given out)

Edited by taikoo - 18 years ago
pkhota thumbnail
I liked Daler on that particular day as a matured judge with the comments he provided to the participants, with saluting Pt Jasraj Panditji contradicted one of his comments. His respect towards the audience and mentors etc.

I will be happy to see this type of constuctive and logical and valid comments rather than simply selecting all the participants or fighting among the 2 member jury.
taikoo thumbnail

.... Now Daler is in league of his own when comes to judging (League of Idiots & Morans). 😕

well said....👏👏👏

kishore_bhakta thumbnail

Due to Jasrajji's judging once before Nihira had lost in SRGMP. I really respect PT. Jasrajji so I did not & do not make any comment s abtout him because he is way up there when it comes to classical singing. But I have seen Nihira over & over & girl is modest & excellent singer. Now Daler is in league of his own when comes to judging (League of Idiots & Morans). 😕

Exactly!

I was watching SRGMP 3 hour episode yesterday and it was hillarious when Daler told Keka to not follow anybody and stay original, Panditji took the mike and said, "Lataji followed Samshad Begum and NoorJehan in her early days. Panditji followed Pandit Aamir Khan (I think), etc. Indian music has been based on following and following and that is how we are here today." Panditji is very right. Bin guru gyan se paun? In music, you need some type of guru, whether you take formal guru-bandhan or not. For Abhijit (the playback singer), Manna Dey was his "guru." For Mukesh, Rafisaab, and Kishoreda, Saigalsaab were their gurus. This may mean "aping" the guru first, but eventually, they came out their own style.