Other Star One Shows

Sahil Sarabhai or Sumeet Raghavan

greatmaratha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Saahil or Sumeet?  
The man from the South who is creating the laughs on Sarabhai vs Sarabhai

A Tamalian who has worked in Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati theatre. Meet Sumeet Raghavan, a complete Mumbaikar, whose stint with acting started when his mother came across a paper cutting and which led to his joining a workshop by Ms Shulbha Deshpande.

Sumeet did many small roles on television, but his first major break was in 1985 on Doordarshan, where he played the title role of a detective in a serial, Faster Fane. After that, there was a lull in his acting career and during that time he was a dubbing artiste for seven years. In 1998, he got a break in the serial Hadh Kar Di, which was a comedy on Zee TV. Since then, there has been no looking back.

He has also acted in over 100 commercials. The first advertisement he shot for was Rasna - directed by Kundan Shah. He has also featured in McDonalds and Bajaj campaigns, among others. Advertising, Sumeet feels is not a career choice, but a great option commercially, as he feels the remuneration is good.

Sumeet is currently enjoying all the attention and praise he is getting for his hit serial Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai, in which he plays the role of Junior Sarabhai, Saahil. Sumeet feels his character, Saahil, in the show is completely unlike him as Saahil is too good to be true, whereas Sumeet is quite real. Sumeet is married to a theatre actor, Chinmayee, who is currently touring the US doing Marathi theatre. They have two children, a son aged eight and a daughter aged five years, who love watching their father on Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai.

Favorite show on television: Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai

Three words that describe you: Prankster, selfish and intelligent

Most embarrassing moment: I had a show scheduled in Pune and a bus was to pick me up from the Pune highway, and I was standing on the Nasik highway. For over two hours, the entire group searched for me, but without any luck. Later, I got quite a mouthful from the gang when they learnt the truth.

Favorite romantic getaway: Mauritius

Birthday / zodiac sign: April 22, 1971

Sexiest woman on television: Kuljeet Randhawa (who plays the lead role in Special Squad)

Favorite co-star: Dilip Joshi

Last time you travelled by public transport: I do not remember… it was a long ago

Biggest fan: A guy named Rakesh who attends all my shows and is in touch with me regularly

Morning or night person: Morning

If not an actor, you would be: A singer

Bedtime to you is: 10 PM, as I have to wake up the kids early in the morning

Three things, which you would never leave home without: Car keys, wallet and God's blessings

Five years from now, you will be: Hopefully very much around… keeping my fingers crossed for that

Favourite film: Life is beautiful (watched it three times) and Agnipath (watched it eight times)

Courtesy Indya.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apple14 thumbnail
Hey....thanks. I really like Sahil. Sometimes I feel sad that he's quite the misfit in the sarabhai household. He's too normal!

But he's really sweet.
Thanks!
sweet_spicy thumbnail
He is a Tamalian i didn't know that.