Article: Rupa Ganguly In good company

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Vickey Lalwani

Rupa Ganguly

Rupa Ganguly's (who played Draupadi in BR Chopra's Mahabharat in 1988) marriage to Kolkata-based Dhrubo Mukherjee is over. Rupa moved to Mumbai a year ago, just before the couple divorced. The estranged couple's 11-year-old son Akash is staying with his father in Kolkata.

Confirming the news, Rupa said, "We separated legally a few months ago."

According to Rupa, she and Dhrubo separated on an 'impulse', "Jhagda karte karte ho gaya," she revealed.

However, Rupa is not alone, she has 31-year-old Dibyendu to give her company. Dibyendu, whom she calls a friend, is a singer from Kolkata. When we asked her if they were living-in she said, "No. It is necessary to have a companion. I would say that I have a friend with whom I share all my joys and sorrows. Also, I don't think it is necessary that a woman has to be younger than the man."

So are they likely to marry? Rupa shot back, "At my age of 42? No way!"

She further added, "I have a flat in Lokhandwala since 20 years, but I have given it to my friend to stay. I have rented a flat in Malad since I find it convenient to travel to the locations from here."

Rupa's son Akash visits her and she too goes to Kolkata whenever she can get away. She said, "I am in touch with my ex-husband and we are still friendly."

After coming back to Mumbai, she acted in Ekta Kapoor's Karam Apna Apna and Kasturi (where she played Kaushalya but opted out later) and Anurag Basu's Love Story." Rupa is currently shooting for Waqt for Sony TV.

"A lot has changed in the television industry since I did Mahabharat. There is too much of hustle bustle and restlessness on the sets. The language has also changed. Frankly, I am finding it quite tough to adjust," she rued.

Rupa is also doing a few Bengali films for which she will travel to Kolkata. She said, "I love Bengali cinema. I have enjoyed working with Aparna Sen, Rituparno Ghosh and Gautam Ghosh."