ArHi FF! The Cult [Completed] - Page 81

Posted: 10 years ago
everything seems so normal n easy but it isnt! sochega padi!πŸ˜•
Her plan seems viable but can they trust her?  I think this still lingers in all their minds but they have no other choices do they?  They better put a good trail on her for her safety to begin with but just in case she double crosses them, this will comes in handy too.  Lol at the men's minds when she said naked prayers . . . 
hmmm...it will be intresting.
i just love these spy kind of stories
Sounds like a plan and I am excited πŸ˜ƒ
Pardon me, RB. Viral only lets me type such tiny redundant comments πŸ˜› 
Of all the three officers, I'm surprised Arnav was the one who was so calm about Khushi's undercover operation. But he has firsthand knowledge of how well Khushi can take care of herself and just how brutal she can be in defense. I wonder though, if he'll be able stay calm when Khushi goes into the ashram.
Looking forward to the next update! 
The plan worries me. Are they underestimating that group? Just how safe will Khushi be in the ashram??
excited to know the plan and...
well that's a nice plan
khushi going to ashram as head priestess
but it is too dangerous
wonder why khushi n arnav r so calm abt it
loved everyones reaction when khushi rejected being wired 
hahahaa
plz update
soon 
can't wait for next update

Chapter 26:

"You don't have to do this. We can find an alternate way to deal with things." Shukla hands Khushi a cup of coffee. It's approaching midnight and my body screams for some sleep and rest but the knife hanging on our head is hard to ignore. Khushi's decision to join the ashram is risky at best. But Khushi has been adamant about it and it looks like I am the only one who believes that this is the only way to get to root of things.

"There is no other way to do it and you know it Shukla," Khushi replies taking the coffee mug from his hand with a muted acknowledgment. "They won't harm me unless I instigate something against them. So don't worry about it."

"What will be your cover story?" Keith asks. Khushi and I have been over this before.

Khushi shrugs. "I am going to stick with truth. It's easy and it is believable. We don't know for how long they have been watching us. If I get caught in a lie, it won't end well for me. So it's best if I tell them the truth..." Khushi waits to finish her coffee before picking up the conversation again. "I already made contact with a guy from the ashram and told him I am ready to join them."

"And he agreed?" Shukla exhibits his true nature - distrust anyone who believes they are being honest.

"He did, in fact. He said the swami had a vision I would be joining them soon," she snorts.

"He knows you have come to know about Anjali," Shukla finishes. Khushi nods.

"He knows we are cornered and there is practically a bounty on all our head. I assured complete submission to the cult and the swami. He said as far as I keep my word, I will be fine and so should you when you stop butting your heads in their business."

"Did he ask us to stop investigation?" Keith asks.

She shakes her head. "Not directly, no." She waits for a moment before continuing. "Are Venkat and Nanda relocated?"

"One phone call and they are vanished." I reply. I am impressed in the speed with which they have managed to disappear and fly below radar.

"They are good at it Arnav," Khushi tries to pacify me. "Technically they have been on the run for three decades. They have been left alone because of their non-involvement in this new cult. Now that they know these folks are involved someway and that they have helped the police - they will be hunted like wild animals Arnav. They have amazing survival skills so they will be fine. It will be a while before you even hear a whisper about their existence."

"It's both scary and awesome at the same time," Keith sounds positively amazed.

"If they are gone then they are safe. You will have to worry about Anjali though. Thoughts?" Khushi asks. The situation has gotten delicate with Anjali added to the mix and I am not sure how far Anjali's involvement is going to come and bite us in the ass.

"I have no idea how I am supposed to deal with her. I don't think she has broken any law with her association. But I sure have issues with trusting her." I reply keeping hurt away from my voice. Anjali was a lot like a parent once she got her shit together but there were too many scars from our struggling teenage years after our parents' death to ignore.

"Watch her closely Arnav. I will try to find from the inside the extent of her involvement with the cult."

"What do you mean by that?" Shukla asks.

"One cannot get out of cults like these Shukla." Khushi is on her feet and paces across the room. "Anjali could never really get out of it completely. She is being used by the cult and she knows it. She knows the power so there is no point in fighting against it. But that's not what's worrying."

"What is, then?" I blurt.

"It's possible that she never really got out." Khushi's voice is just above audible.

"That's not possible." I whisper. There are too many things which deny my refusal to accept and many coincidences to strengthen Khushi's. "Of all the people in the world she could have met and married, she meets and falls in love with Shyam - your ex. What are the odds?"

"Isn't it?" Khushi intones.

"It's as if..." I cannot come to finish my sentence. Shukla interjects.

"It's almost as if they anticipated something like this happening." Keith says.

There is silence in the room that's filled with questions and theories.  Things aren't clear yet but with Anjali's involvement, there is a certain degree of clarity.

"This situation is inevitable, isn't it?" I start pacing. Khushi takes the seat I vacated and as I walk around, blurs around the edges of truth reduces and they become sharper. "I would at one point get involved in a case involving them because they wouldn't stop killing or sacrificing or whatever that is called. They would know that I would not stop investigating till I reached end of case and would turn their world upside down just to find them. With this, I would go to the expert that happens to be Khushi because that's what she has been working on. I meeting Khushi was just a matter of time in a situation such as these."

"And with that came Shyam who is a part of both our lives directly or indirectly. If we didn't meet because of case, we would have met because of Shyam." Khushi adds.

"And so, Anjali. She would know exactly what's going on because her brother would tell her or his friends would. She could walk into police station without any boundaries and get everything she wanted, which she did I suppose." I reply. "But I don't understand why she would get freaked out by the photo."

"Could have been to keep up the charade?" Keith asks. I don't think so but I don't have a better answer myself.

"Or it could have triggered a memory." Khushi says after a beat of silence.

"Now that's quite possible," I mutter. "Do you have everything you need?" I ask Khushi trying to move on from the topic of Anjali.

"I do. I know few people I will be encountering first thing tomorrow. They are the diehard loyal followers who will die before betraying the swami." Khushi says.

"A cult is structured like a pyramid, isn't it?" Shukla asks. Everyone looks at Deshmukh then.

"The top of the pyramid has the cult leader followed by a small section of loyal followers. The rest of the cult is made up of followers who recognize something with the cult or simply are there because their friends are." Deshmukh recited.

"Can there be two cult leaders?" Khushi asks out of the blue.

Deshmukh frowns. "It's practically unheard of. If such a case do exist then the cult will at one point disintegrate or split. It will be too dynamic with two supremely charismatic alpha males and leaders in a single group."

"No, I didn't mean in that way," Khushi starts. Deshmukh raises an eyebrow at that. "Is there a possibility that a cult leader is installed as a decoy - a public face when the strings are really pulled by a guy or a group of people with a specific agenda?"

Her question is met with dead silence. Deshmukh looks thoughtful and I am hoping what Khushi is intoning isn't really what we are dealing with. Else we are once again, truly, f**ked.

"It's uncommon but a small cult over the years could very well evolve into something you mentioned. But they are all generally come with a serious agenda and huge political and corporate backing so...yeah, it's quite possible what you just said."

"That's what I am afraid of, honestly." Khushi exhales. "I cannot exclude the possibility of people from my community being a part of that cult."

"You can still back out from all this and go underground till things calm down a bit." Khushi deserves some amount of semblance and this venture is looking more and more dangerous than originally planned.

"I can get you a getaway car," Keith offers.

"Are you sure Khushi?" Shukla asks.

"I am going tomorrow guys. If you guys can't get justice to victim's families, then no one can or will, for that matter. So..." She trails.

"I have Jack Daniels in my cupboard. It's time to share." Deshmukh says and steps out of my cabin.

"I'll get some glasses," Keith walks out next.

"Let me find a super late dinner or a super early breakfast?" Shukla follows Keith.

I am not comfortable with the arrangement and I can see Khushi is scared. We all are and that's really not all that okay but this is it, I suppose.

Khushi's fingers are lightly tapping on the table and I watch it, transfixed. Screw it, I think and thread my fingers with hers.

"You will be careful, yes?" I ask her. Of course she will be careful. I am oddly nervous. Well, I may have a slight idea why I am nervous but I am not going there.

"I will be." She squeezes my hand and doesn't call out on my bullshit. "Don't do anything stupid when I am gone."

"Are you scared?" I ask her after moments of shared silence.

"Yes." She replies. A moment later she asks, "Are you afraid?"

"Very much so," my response is immediate. I offer her a small smile and squeeze her hand.

She leans across and kisses me, surprising me. I sink into kiss and let her take the lead. It's her show today and once all this mess is over, I'll take over.

It's a promise I pour into this kiss.
Khushi has to go. I see no other way.
Right before they enter this mess. Everyone confused and scared.
Doubt if its going to be a smooth ride.