Monu-SunNaa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago

Edited by Bluff_princess - 17 years ago
Monu-SunNaa thumbnail

They lived to tell the tale...

Television baroness Ektaa Kapoor's life-script almost went for a toss when, while travelling to Manali, her car nearly rammed into an oncoming bus on a hilly road. "In those few seconds, I saw my whole life flash in front of me," she shudders. Sonu Nigam went through this hit-miss trauma twice — once when a bomb went off in a car behind him in Pakistan and then when a stage collapsed in Afghanistan. Sonu values this 'rebirth'. "All my days after April 2004 are a bonus," he says

Mandira Bedi shudders at the thought of the severe asthma attack she suffered this January in Bangalore. She says, "The air in Bangalore has lots of pollen. It left me desperately gasping for oxygen. My parents were on a flight and Raj's (her husband) phone was switched off. While the driver rushed me to the hospital, for a split-second I felt that I wouldn't see my family again."

Having lived in Punjab, Divya Dutta has witnessed terrorism at close quarters. But her most haunting memory is of a different place. "I was in Kashmir with my family when suddenly a group of people came running and told us that terrorists were killing people. We took refuge in a police station for four hours. I never went to Kashmir again."
Know the reason for Madhur Bhandarker's hydrophobia? When he was 14, Madhur jumped into a pool and slipped into deep waters — and he didn't know how to swim! He recalls, "I lost control and began gasping. But something pulled me up. I screamed loudly and was helped."

When director Sanjay Gupta met with an accident, he knew about his critical condition. He recalls, "My ribs were broken, my spleen ruptured but my spirit was intact. What doesn't break you, makes you. I was always close to God but after this I've grown closer to friends and family." Sometimes life does offer a second chance.

Close encounters

Nine-year-old Rohit Roy rolled down a hill in Kashmir when he climbed up to gather flowers for his mother.
  • Preity Zinta had a close brush with death twice — once when a bomb exploded at a show in Sri Lanka and then when she slept through the tsunami in Phuket.
Monu-SunNaa thumbnail

Star and Sony in a dance off
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   August 3, 2006

Sachin and Supriya, the winners of last season's Nach Baliye
The battle lines have been drawn, and it's a clarion call for war. Star and Sony will clash for supremacy in viewership ratings, as both TV giants are slated to begin similar dance-based shows starting September.

While Star One will host a new season of last year's big draw Nach Baliye, Sony will host Jhalak Dikhlaja (based on BBC's Strictly Come Dancing, more popularly known as Dancing With The Stars in America).

'Me too' attitude

While Nach Baliye boasts of a couple (who are not professional dancers) vying for the top spot, Jhalak Dikhlaja pairs a celebrity with a professional dancer or choreographer. Both shows have the couple attempting to win the top spot by scoring the highest points in every round. The couple with the lowest score is eliminated in every round.

Over the weekend, both channels went into overdrive planning their shows. While Sony made a formal announcement of their show, which would air in September, Star One swung into action announcing the second season of Nach Baliye (also in September).

Says Deepak Sehgal, executive vice-president, content and communications, Star India, "Nach Baliye will be back on air for a new season beginning September.

The show promises to bring back the fun, excitement and nail-biting tension of the previous season with a whole lot of surprises thrown in. In fact, the couples will be revealed in a unique manner by mid-August."

Adds Anupama Mandloi, programming head, Sony, "Jhalak Dikhlaja will roll next month or even end of August. We will announce the names of participants next week."

Name dropping

At the moment, both channels are in a tizzy pencilling in names for the respective shows. It is learnt that Star One has short listed 25 names (see box alongside), while Sony is also in talks with several choreographers.
Jhalak Dikhlaja is being produced by Siddharth Basu's Synergy Communications, along with the Singapore-based Theatre Red.

Says Basu, "The BBC show Strictly Come Dancing is the mother show. Jhalak Dikhlaja is based on it. It has a trained dancer with a non-professional dancer as a partner. In the West, they have had participants from various fields, even sports. Soccer legend Diego Maradona has also been on the show."

Out of 25 couples, the channel has short-listed the following names

Anuradha Patel and
Kanwaljeet Singh
Kiran
and
Chhaya Karmarkar
Renuka Shahane
and
Ashutosh Rana
Rajeev Khandelwal
and Aamna Shariff
Achint Kaur
and Mohan Kapoor
Ronit Roy
and
Neelam
Hiten Tejwani
and Gauri Pradhan

Nach meri bulbul, paisa milega!

But not as much as last year; prize money for Nach Baliye
this season is pittance, say stars

Tushar Joshi
[email protected]

After from making the nation dance to their tunes, the stars of last season's Nach Baliye went dancing straight to the bank.

Last year's participants were reportedly paid Rs 16 lakh per couple, in addition to Rs 5 lakh for every round they cleared. But this year, the prize money is far from appealing to most couples that have been approached for the show.

Says an insider, "This season's prize money isn't as much as what was given last year. The payoff for clearing each stage is Rs 3 lakh, compared to 5 lakh last year."

Understandably, there's a lot of bargaining going on between the stars and the channel.

"The stars want to cash in on the craze and aren't scared of asking for more money.

Except for some actors from the older generation like Kanwaljeet, all the other actors are working on one or more daily show. So if they're earning Rs 30-40,000 a day, they won't settle for less here."

Monu-SunNaa thumbnail

Rajiv Khandelwal sports new image
IANS
Monday, August 14, 2006

Television actor Rajiv Khandelwal has gone in for an image change with his new serial "Left Right Left", where he plays a Captain in an army academy. The serial, which is aired weekdays on Sony/Sab channel, is the actor's first daily soap in more than a year. He last shot for "Kahiin To Hoga" on May 18, 2005.

Said Rajiv:"'Left Right Left' takes me as far away from 'Kahiin To Hoga' as possible. I'm blessed because people haven't forgotten me though I haven't been that visible on TV. I wanted to break the myth about TV stars being forgotten. And I didn't vanish entirely. I did a weekly series 'Time Bomb' for six months. Then I did a cameo in 'ID', a music video and 'Deal Ya No Deal' on Sony."

When asked if audiences would identify him only as Sujal of "Kahiin To Hoga", he said people knew him best as Rajiv. "Sujal as a character remains alive because I played him for two years every day, but people don't address me as Sujal any more."

Rajiv said that "Kahiin To Hoga" not only brought him stardom but also helped him grow as a human being. "I stepped out of that world and stepped into a real world.'Kahiin To Hoga' turned me into a superstar. As a person, I'm equipped to take on any challenge now."

The actor turned down Sony's supernatural thriller "Akela", which is also on air now, because he did not want to essay any more tense characters and he feels Sudhanshu Pande is apt for the part.

"When I heard the narration, I felt there was no vision beyond the first four episodes and I didn't want to do horror. After Sujal, I didn't want to play another tense unsmiling character. But when I saw the first episode, I knew the makers of 'Akela' had a winner on their hands and Sudhanshu Pande looks apt for the part. I couldn't have done such a good job."

Getting back to "Left Right Left", Rajiv said he was hooked immediately after the producers Deeya and Tony Singh called.

"After Ekta Kapoor, if there's anyone I wanted to work with it was Tony and Deeya. I come from an army background, and I'm playing an army-man in 'Left Right Left'. When I heard the story I said 'this sounds too good'. Of course, I had my doubts. We can never depict the army absolutely authentically. I'd describe 'Left Right Left' as very subtle humour in uniform."

Rajiv however clarified that this serial isn't based on the Indian Army. "No TV serial can afford to depict the army. It's about an academy that motivates cadets to join the army. We've designed the visuals with great care and the cadets got actually trained. I play Captain Rajvir Singh and I love it."

"Left Right Left" will take up only 18 days each month but Rajiv says he won't do any other serial simultaneously, as he wants audiences to know him by just one character at a time.

Meanwhile, the popular actor denies reports of his high-handed behaviour while anchoring the game show "Deal Ya No Deal".

"My high-handedness was news to me. I was supposed to have been smoking without permission during shooting. That's what I call smoke without fire. No one on the sets was allowed to smoke and I don't need to defend myself further."

Rajiv added that he is not bothered by failure. "In one year I've done all kinds of stuff. I failed with 'Deal Ya No Deal'. Sony expected a miracle but I couldn't save a sinking show. But at least I tried. I'm happy as long as the people working with me are happy.

On his long-term plans, he said he would be focusing on television throughout the year. "At the year-end, I'll take a serious look at a career in cinema."
Monu-SunNaa thumbnail

Stars who have lovers on a leash

Ever wondered why a woman pampers her dog like she would, her man? Meet 8 female celebs who picked pooches who share similarities with their lovers. Your life explores star-studded puppy love By Kanika Parab k[email protected]

Mandira Bedi, Television anchor
In the kennel: Buster, the Basset Hound
On the leash: Raj Kaushal, filmmaker
Like mild-mannered Basset Hounds, Mandira has unassuming hubby Raj, supporting and cheering her on from the sidelines. While these pooches are not recommended for those who can't stand drooling, our guess is that it does no harm for Mandy's ego. Hounds, however, are known to run away, oblivious to owners' calls, when a new interesting scent catches their attention. Need to worry, Mandy?

Pooch parallel: 3/5

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Right said Mandira!

The svelte cricket loving Mandira Bedi sizzled the telly screen with her noodle straps in MAX's Extraaa Innings last World Cup 2003. Now, once again the hep sardarni is gearing up her act for the upcoming Champions' Trophy commencing next week.

"I love cricket and its a great feeling to be back. In fact, when I look back on my career the game has given me a new lease of life. Before I became a cricket commentator, I had a typical housewife image, because of the strong roles I essayed as Shanti and later as Mandira in Star's Kyunki," says Mandira.

She further adds, "I think Extraa Innings also helped us revolutionalise cricket watching in the country. The game got more interesting for the fairer sex and now we see a new trend with more female anchors on the sports channels. Earlier on sports broadcasting was a totally male dominated. "

Along with Mandira this time the channel has roped in Rohit Roy and Shonali Nagrani to add the extra glitz and glamour. When queried on whether she has any problems with sharing the limelight with Shonali she says, " I really have no issues with her as she plays the roving reporter. And I believe everybody is glamorous in their own way.

This time too viewers will get to see Mandy dressed in beautiful chiffon sarees with sexy blouses. "I have this things for sarees which I just cannot get away and besides I feel that I look best in this eternal Indian outfit. However, this time I have decided not to pay too much attention to my wardrobe. Though, I have a designer to handle my clothes, I rather pay more attention to hosting the show," she chirps.

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
Monu-SunNaa thumbnail

Roadies on rage
   By: Tushar Joshi
   January 12, 2007

The State Transport department has written to the Censor board to ban bike-racing scenes from films to prevent accidents on the road.

Here, B-town actors and directors react to the move….

Mandira Bedi
Are you aware of the State transport letter? ?
No I am not.
Any thoughts
I think it's a two-way argument with both pros and cons. People look at Bollywood with a lot of aspirations. So there's some responsibility upon us to make sure we don't go overboard. But at the same time I don't think one can entirely blame the industry or point fingers.
What would your solution be?
There should be speeding cameras on roads and traffic people need to get stricter. All these things need to be implemented.

source:  http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/january/150001.htm 

Edited by $weet Ema - 17 years ago