Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

abavi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

From the author's desk: hello people thanks so much for the comments even before I started sending out PMs' Here is another sad update' Hope this stretch passes away soon' my mood feels so bad after writing it'

Happy reading...

Chapter 8- Inevitable Lament

Part 2-  The final rites

Arnav scurried back to his sentient form when he felt Akaash shaking him.

"What happened?  I have been calling you for the past 5 minutes"

"Nothing.. I ..I was just reading something" Arnav said as he stood up.

"What is this?" Akaash said as he saw the letter in Arnav's hand and then exclaimed "Dad has left you a letter? Why didn't you tell us?"

"I didn't know myself'" Arnav told in an exhausted voice

Akaash who had been giving the letter a glance then suddenly remembered why he had come in search of his brother.

"I forgot' Everyone are waiting for you downstairs' you are in the news"

"What? News? Why?"

"I thought you would be amused' They say that you got married secretly" Akaash chuckled at his brother.

But the humor didn't reach his brother like he expected. Arnav stood there bemused. He had totally forgotten to take care of that or to warn his family. So much had happened from this morning that the light banter that he shared with Kushi this morning seemed oddly very distant right now' and top of it he has to now answer his Family's questions.

"Don't tell me that it is true" Akaash attempted to bring Arnav back to his usual self'

Arnav pushed the letter into Akaash's hand and rushed downstairs. Akaash followed him in a confused state. Arnav surely looked jumbled up' Was it because of the letter or was there something which was related to the news, he followed his brother. They were met by Anjali half way in the stairs..

"What took you so long?"

"We were coming down" Akaash answered her.

"So how and when did this happen?"

"What?" Arnav asked her again

"The marriage" Anjali grinned at him "you are all over the news' You are famous than a bollywood celebrity' who is the girl by the way"

"That was fake news'"

"We knew it is' how did you manage to get into this scandal?"

Arnav tactfully avoided Anjali's questions as he went down the stairs'

There he found the entire family waiting for him with questioning eyes.

"Mami ji you can relax" Anjali announced as she went down the stairs behind her brothers.. "Arnav says that it is fake news'you still have got a chance to search for the perfect bride for him"

Arnav turned and stared at her

"Hey come on' marriage is a good thing and when it comes free you say it's all rumour' Nani was all ready to invite her bahu into the house'"

"What is all this Arnav?" Dadi's sharp tongue quieted Anjali's banter.

"Dadi, you should know' It is all a rumor'"

"Rumor? You have been photographed with the same girl who came here 10 days before whose father wanted you to marry her' and coincidently the media catches you both together and you call it rumor"

"What? Is that the same skinny girl?" Mami went to have a proper look at the picture "Oh yes.. that too conveniently with garlands"

Everyone else stared at Arnav for an answer.

"Holding garlands doesnt mean one is married... We happened to visit the mandir in the hospital... it was from there..."

"Why were you in the hospital?"

"I went to visit her father... he is not keeping well."

"Why would you want to visit him?"

"Its because its true that Dad and he were friends' very good friends' and he happens to have been entrusted with some property documents by dad.. I was supposed to meet him and 'Dadi' this has a lot of complications' "

"He is mentioned here- His name is Shashi right? Dad has told about him" Akaash suddenly informed  them

"What is that?" Anjali peeped in

"Dad's letter to Arnav' " Akaash told them all and Everyone looked at Arnav in surprise.

"Ajay left you a letter?" Dadi asked him

Arnav nodded'" It was in Shashi's custody. " he told slowly.

"So thats why you went to meet him? how did you know he had one? did he call you?" Dadi asked him... Arnav looked everywhere but dadi "Read it loud Akaash" she finally ordered her other grandson.

Akaash looked at Arnav for any objection what so ever... when there was none, he started to read it aloud... Akaash had his moments of lumps in the throat when he read it out too and when he had finished reading the letter aloud, everyone stood stumped at their places. Anjali was sobbing silently.

"Does this mean that Ajay again trusted the wrong person?" Dadi exclaimed

"No Dadi, Shashi is not a bad person- he was wrongly understood by us" Arnav explained calmly.

"Wrongly understood? Who would ask for a forced marriage? He is cunning enough to take advantage of our situation"

"He was drunk then' I have met him when he was sober.. and he is not like that- nor is Kushi"

"I dont want to trust him... Thank god atleast a part the property is safe- I would suggest you to take everything into your custody as soon as possible" Dadi told him and left the place.

Mami took a still sobbing Anjali to her room.

Akaash went to Arnav who stood there lost in thoughts.

"Arnav" he said as he trusted the letter back in his brother's hands..."Are you alright?"
Arnav shook his head.
"I have a bad headache Akaash.. I am fine... We will talk later" he told his brother.

Akaash nodded and then left the place. NK who  had been standing there quiet shocked and bemused came to Arnav and hugged him.
"Hope everything is well Bhai"

Arnav nodded to him as he too left. It was then Nani  who had been maintaining her silence all this while came to Arnav.

"Is there something else that is troubling you Arnav?" she asked

"Nani? No I.. I am fine"

"I know your every reaction Arnav- I know you are feeling bad about something... If it is your father's letter, time will soothe you... if it is something else and if you feel like sharing it with someone... If you want to talk, I will be at my room" She said slowly to him and left the place.

Arnav stood there staring at the letter.

It was nearly half an hour later that Arnav found his way into Nani's room. Nani was stitching something when she heard him coming in. She kept her work aside and looked up at him.

"I need to talk to you Nani"

Then he told her everything' all that transpired between him, Kushi and Shashi- Everything except the accidental ceremony to which they both were a part of.

He told her how the circumstances had forced him  to wrong Shashi- How he asked Kushi to help him and how she had consented to lie to her father. He told her how sorry he felt for not trusting him- Of how the circumstances had fooled his judgment capability.

Nani as always was an empathetic listener to his worries and concern. It was always like this' After his mother's death, it was Nani to whom he came to in troubled times' With her his secrets always remained safe and with her his heavy heart always felt light.

"Arnav, Its true the man's good intentions has been misunderstood by all of us' He deserves all our gratitude' and not only that' you owe him an apology too"

"I am ' I can't face him Nani' I spoke so crudely that he had an attack again"

"I am sure the man has a big heart to accept your apology Arnav' wait.. I will also come with you' take me too' I want to meet him and the girl too' She had been very kind at heart to accept to help you in the first place' you need to apologize to her too'"

"I will'" Arnav told her as Nani smiled at him.

Thus both of them started to the hospital to visit Shashi.

"Kushiji' Time for cremation' Do you have any male relatives who can light his pyre?" Happy asked her

Kushi only felt numbed, shocked, and anguished... As she remembered Aman... But he wasnt a relative... but he was the only close enough family that she had now... How she wished he was here by her side... How she wished he was there to support her...to take care of her... to let her mourn for her father... to give his shoulder for her to cry out loud... But he wasn't here... She didn't even know where he was right now... Should she call Aman's mother now? Where were they' she knew he was last posted in Vizag... The last correspondence from him had told her that he would be in the sea for the next six months...Was he out in the sea now? Where was Madhumatiji? she felt exhausted by the emotions that she had been through for the last few hours' Her guilt wouldn't even let he mourn her father the way she would have deemed it right' Her last blood relation has been snubbed of life' and she had a hand in it.

"Kushiji... everyone are waiting... would you want me to finish the last rites?" Happy asked her again

"No Happy ji'" Kushi told determinedly "I will do it for my father"

There was a hushed silence around her

"But you are a girl'" Some lady in the crowd told her "You are not supposed to do it"

"I will do it for my father" Kushi repeated again "I am his daughter and his son too' my father would have wanted me to do it anyway"

Then she stepped towards her father's corpse' She got hit by all the times they both spent together' talking about everything under the sun' A huge wave of angst hit her again as she hugged him for the last time.

"I am sorry father' Sorry for what I did' You will forgive me wont you? You always do" She mummered to his corpse and then in a determined way walked ahead to do his final rites- for she was his son.. she was his daughter.. she was his everything.

The next day evening,  Arnav and Nani walked into the corridor where Arnav met Shashi last.. But when he was about to enter into the heart patients hallway, he saw the nurse Mariam coming out of the hallway

Recognizing him she smiled slightly

"I am sorry for your loss Mr.Raizada.. Hope Kushi is coping up well now"

"Excuse me?" Arnav asked "I ..I don't understand- What loss are you speaking about? If you are talking about the marriage scandal'"

"No" Mariam told him confused "Don't tell me that you don't know"

She paused as Arnav looked at her bemused.

"Didn't Kushi tell you? Shashiji passed away last evening"

"Oh my god" Nani who stood next to him cried out

Arnav stood there as if someone had whiplashed him on his face' Shock coursed through him as he felt his body slump against the wall

"Arnav, Lets go and meet Kushi' She would need help'support' Bechari.. how would she manage all alone? Do you know their house?"

Arnav shook his head as he looked at Nani

"What did I do Nani' I drove him to death.. for all that he did for father and us.. I killed him"

"No Arnav' Don't get into this useless guilt' Kushi ' lets find Kushi now"

Arnav nodded as he took his mobile out and dialed Roy

"Roy, I need Kushi's house address now.. Message it to me" he bellowed at him and then walked out of the corridor. Nani soon followed.

The nurse Mariam stood watching this exchange. She was in thoughts' Should she tell him what she knew? But then she saw him walking away hastily... and then she let him go.. maybe sometime she can tell him what she knew... she stood watching him turn around the corner and then went about her work

Tada' No cliff hanger this time na? but yeah ' next update will be lighter.. I suppose'

Res
I reserved first and I wanted to be the first one to post comment also but my stupid net thought that this is the right time to give trouble πŸ˜†
I feel soory for khushi! She did the right thing! Shashi will be proud of her. The guilt is killing her!
Who is Aman and where is he now? Hope he will come back soon because Khushi need someone badly and the only person who she can think of is him.
I dont like Arnav! He left hospital and never came back to check shashi or Khushi knowing that shashi is fighting for his life. I know he has lots if things on his own plate but still. Everthing is his fault!
Hope Khushi doesn't forgive soon! Nani is great and dadi is selfish!
So shashi still has the properties papers and Khushi doesn't know where? Will Arnav blame her for that too?
Thanks for the fast update and hope see next one soon
πŸ˜† Edited by opsyellow - 11 years ago
cherryteacake thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Poor Khushi πŸ˜­, really felt bad for her having nobody else to lean on. You've got Nani's character bang on I like how she guides Arnav along the right way. Wonder how Khushi will react when she sees Arnav again. Sad but good update 
Vithagan2304 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
wat is in d truth tat makes everyone to feel sorry for shashi?
eagerly waiting for d next part:)
luvbug thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for the early update but it was a short one... we demand a lighter and linger update and tht too very soon... tomorrow may be??
it was a sad update surely but loved khushi... she did the finals rites :)
aashi12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
More than khushi, i feel bad for Arnav.., he is guilty for driving an innocent person, who not only helped their father, but him also , to death!
Khushi might have her regret of lying to her father.. But yet she knew he wud have forgiven her..!
Aakash and anjali are really nice siblings..! Dadi is presumptous and downright rude!

Nani is calm.. And soothing..! She guides to the right path!

Maybe nurse mariam knws why dat son of politician was there.. And maybe who all are trying to play aganst him and shashi!
heavenspirit thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
I am still confuse...
just can't come up with the word I am feeling right now after reading it...
but nice update dear...as always..
rdforfun thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
you are such a sweetheart.
Didn't expect an update so soon.
I was planning to disturb u by my post.
Even though the update was sad I am thankful to u for the update within 2 days
Hope u keep the momentum and will give another one soon
sruthiif thumbnail
Nice update...
I so admire your Khushi...
Both Arnav and Khushi will carry the burden of Shashi's death... hope they find solace soon...
I hope Khushi-Arnav next face-off would be fine...
What doe nurse know that she did not share with Arnav...
nsipkknd thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
heart wrenching...

I have always wondered why women are not allowed near the burial ground to do the last rites?  is it oppressiveness or some silly faith...

it hurts terribly not being able to say goodby to the loved one...

amazing story..again he calls Roy to give the kushi address???