Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nidsubh007 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Part 9 is awesome!! I love this Arnav, love his so obvious flirting and most importantly his unwavering support for Khushi. 

Can not wait for part 10 to see Anjali's reaction. 
sujata5 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wow My heart was beating so fast as I was reading the update...

The suspense is killing me so please update real soon...

I love the support Arnav has in his family.. They are ready to go and help him in the most important decision of his life .. to claim Khushi as his bride..

Rashmi now waiting for your fabulous interpretation to put the cherry on top...
Edited by sujata5 - 11 years ago
rulama thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
OS 1 : Knowing Khushi

(Thank u, Naughtymallu!)

Part 9: 

Arnav looked at her, disarmed. Her worried eyes looked into his.

Finally he said, softly, "Because... because it happens to both of them..."

"Acha? It happened to you too?"

Arnav nodded, his eyes intent on her face.

She stared at him for a while, and then said softly, "This world is a very ajeeb place. Or I am very ajeeb. Jhoot moot ki girlfriend-baaifriend, dhak dhak & acidity, panting for breath as though I just climbed the Himalayas..." She placed her hand on her head. "I am going home. I have panted enough for one day. Bas."

"I will drop you home.", Arnav said.

"Haaan, and that rascal will see you dropping me home. Then what will I tell him?"

Arnav inclined his head, admitting that her concerns were legitimate.

"I will get you a rickshaw.", Arnav stepped closer to her.

"No! Aaap door rahiye! Don't come close to me. It is bad for both of our hearts."

Arnav looked at the child dressed in a woman's clothes, trying to run away from him. He had to try very hard not to laugh at her indignation and worry over her physical response to him.

"Tomorrow evening at 5, Khushi. We will come to your house.", he promised her.

Khushi nodded.

"Give me the way to your house."

Khushi did, describing everything in great detail.

"I will park the car in the next street.", Arnav told her.

"That would be better.", said Khushi. She looked at him silently for a few seconds. "Poor Anjaliji. Her world will collapse tomorrow ...because of us..."

"Because of Shyam.", Arnav corrected her. "Because he never loved her, but tricked her into thinking that he did... because he married her for money ...because he lived off me for the past 3 years, using the huge amount I paid into his account every month, but still didn't learn the meaning of the word 'gratitude... because he is immoral enough to commit bigamy..."

"Still...", Khushi wept in her heart for Anjaliji.

"She has gone through worse & survived. She will survive this too.", Arnav vowed.

Khushi nodded. "She has you. She will survive. You will make everything alright." 

Arnav stared at the girl who was reposing her trust in him in a matter-of-fact way.

"Hum chalte he, Arnavji.", she said.

"Call me tonight.", Arnav said.

"I don't know if I can.", she sighed. "Woh kya he, that... that rascal is following me around the house. Everywhere I go, there he is. He is always looking at me with those big, round, cold eyes... How can I hide in the bathroom or bedroom again?"

"Then I will call you.", Arnav said.

"He Devi Maiyya! Don't! I will have to answer a hundred questions from Buaji about who is calling me, why, how, when, what, where..."

"You look beautiful in sari, Khushi.", Arnav distracted her.

Khushi looked at him, astonished. His fiery eyes ran up & down her body, lingering on her figure.

Khushi clutched her thudding heart. "Don't look at me! Don't come near me! I know karate!", she threatened him.

Arnav choked with laughter. "Really?", he drawled.

"Really.", Khushi lied. "And don't use black magic against me. I will put poppy seeds in your drink and make you cough all night."

Arnav burst out laughing, watching Khushi scurrying away.

That night, Arnav called Khushi.

Khushi was stuffing her face with her Amma's pooris when her phone rang. 

The display showed 'Banke Lalji!'

The poori went down the wrong way, and Khushi started coughing, clutching her throat.

Payal quickly passed her a glass of water, & Buaji rubbed her back. As soon as she could breathe, she grabbed the phone.

"Banke Lalji! How can I help you?"

"What the!", exclaimed Arnav.

"Who is calling you at night, Sanka Devi?", he could hear Buaji ask.

"Banke Lalji, Buaji!"

"Who is that? And why should he call at night, Nandkisore?", Buaji wondered.

"He..I mean, Banke Lalji, runs a dress shop near the temple. I..I had asked him for a... a pink lehenga. Then he had said that if I leave my phone number, he will call to let me know when his next load arrives..." Arnav heard Khushi tell the tale to her family.

"Khushiji...", he heard Shyam speak. Arnav's fingers caught his phone in  a death hold. "You must not give out your phone number to every man who asks for it."

Arnav heard Khushi reply, "Shyamji, he is not any man. Banke Lalji has always kept his word. I trust him."

"Khushiji, your knowledge of the world is small. And the world is full of cheats and tricksters...", Shyam continued.

Buaji nodded, but said, "Titliyaa is sanki, but not an idiot. She is careful. She must know Banke Lalji well." She turned to Khushi, "E Titliyaa, Banke Lalji must be middle aged?"

"Haan, Buaji. With a paunch. And big mush. Now let me talk to him.", Khushi got up and left the room. 

She walked into her Babuji's room and shut the door. He was asleep.

"So I am middle aged?", Arnav asked.

"Ji, with a big paunch & mush. Happy?", Khushi asked.

"You stored my number under Banke Lalji? Excuse me?", Arnav asked.

"You are excused. If you have something to say, say it fast, Arnavji. That rascal is yelping at my feet like a mad dog. I am hiding in Babuji's room. Soon he will come & knock on the door to make sure that I haven't flown out through the window with Banke Lalji!."

"Poor Khushi...", Arnav smiled.

"Very poor Khushi! How does your sister live with this man? Two minutes in the same room, and I am ready to run away."

Arnav sighed.

"I am sorry, Arnavji. I didn't mean to make you sad."

"It is not your fault. I just called to say that you needn't worry about tomorrow, Khushi. I will take care of everything."

"I know.", Khushi said.

"Take as many photos as you can of the rascal sitting and smiling with your family."

"I will."

There was silence. Both of them did not want to cut the call.

Finally, Khushi said, "Thank you, Arnavji. But for you..."

"No, thank you, Khushi. If you hadn't taken the trouble to find me, made me listen, braved my anger..."

Both remained silent.

Then Arnav said, "Remember, Khushi, you are not alone."

Khushi nodded. Arnav smiled.

"Shubh Raatri, Arnavji!", she said.

"Good night.", he said.

Tuesday noon saw the Raizadas dressing up to go to Khushi's house to claim her for Arnav.

"Will this sari do, Arnav Bitwaa?", Mami asked.

Arnav blinked at the bright yellow, and nodded weakly.

Nani & Anjali came bustling into the room. "We are ready, Chotey."

"Bhai, I am ready.", sad Akash, a serious look on his face.

"Me too.", said NK, straightening his jacket. The laughter was missing from his eyes.

"Di, did you call Jiju in the morning?", asked Arnav.

"I did, Chotey. But his phone was switched off.", Anjali frowned.

"Maybe he will call before we leave.", Arnav said mildly.

As if on cue, her phone rang. It was Shyam.

"Aap! I am angry with you. I called you in the morning, and you didn't even attend the call!", Anjali pouted.

"Rani Sahiba, I was travelling..."

"Where are you now?", she asked.

"Kanpur."

"Oh!"

"I had to meet two people here, Rani Sahiba."

Anjali grimaced.

"I called to say that I will be very busy today. So don't call me today, whatever the matter may be."

Anjali frowned.

"Rani Sahiba, hum phone rakhte he!" He cut the call, but before he did, Anjali heard a lady say, "Shyamji, your tea!"

Anjali paled.

"Kya hua, Di?", asked Arnav. All the others looked at her anxiously.

"Nothing.", Anjali forced a smile on her lips. This was a big day for Chotey. And Khushiji had to be rescued from her unwelcome suitor. "Shyamji was just telling me that he will be very busy today, & that he would speak to me tomorrow. That he is in Kanpur right now."

All nodded, uneasy smiles on their faces.

"Shall we leave?", Arnav asked.

"Haan, haan, let's go.", Mami said, and herded all the others out.

The ladies in the neighbourhood were all gathered at Buaji's house to witness the sagai between Khushi & Shyamji.

Shyamji, in  a red sherwani, looked regal, like a bridegroom.

"Looks like you are ready to get married today itself, Shyamji!", Vimla Maasi teased him. All the ladies laughed. 

Babuji glared at Shyam.

Shyam smiled wanly, & wiped the sweat off his face. He had asked Buaji to keep the function family-only, but when had that witch ever listened to him?

Buaji sighed. "It is a great pity, Shyam Babua, that you are an orphan. How wonderful it would have been, Nandkisore, if your family could have joined us on this happy occasion!"

Amma & Payal led Khushi out into the hall.

Dressed in a red lehenga, her hair put up, her body adorned with old jewellery, she looked a treat.

Buaji led Shyam to a seat in the centre of the crowd, and Amma & Payal made Khushi sit by him.

Khushi panted, looking at the clock. Five to five.

Shyam smiled his oily smile at her. Khushi stretched her lips & showed him her teeth. The seconds passed.

Amma & Buaji laid out the rings on two trays covered with rose petals.

The clock struck 5. 

"Shall we begin?", asked Buaji.

All the guests nodded.

With a triumphant smile, Shyam took a ring and reached out to capture Khushi's hand...

The front door of the house was pushed open as Arnav, NK, & Akash walked in, followed by the ladies.

Khushi's breath left her in a rush of relief. Her eyes caught Arnavji's. He nodded at her.

"Who are you, Nandkisore?", asked poor Buaji. 

"Shyam Manohar Jha's family.", said Arnav.

Part 8:  77361083                            Part 10: 77486775 

Edited by rulama - 11 years ago
rulama thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8

Smita,😊

Here is my interpretation to Part 9

This update can be described as button up, securing the hatches, zip up, tie up.

In a phrase, BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

Arnav looked at her, disarmed. Her worried eyes looked into his.

Finally he said, softly, "Because'because it happens to both of them'"

"The best and most beautiful things in the world          cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt      with the heart"

~ Helen Keller

She stared at him for a while, and then said softly, "This world is a very ajeeb place. Or I am very ajeeb. Jhoot moot ki girlfriend-baaifriend, dhak dhak & acidity, panting for breath as though I just climbed the Himalayas'" She placed her hand on her head. "I am going home. I have panted enough for one day. Bas."

"I'd rather be a little weird than all boring."

~ Rebecca McKinsey

"I will drop you home.", Arnav said.

"Haaan, and that rascal will see you dropping me home. Then what will I tell him?"

Arnav inclined his head, admitting that her concerns were legitimate.

"I will get you a rickshaw.", Arnav stepped closer to her.

"No! Aaap door rahiye! Don't come close to me. It is bad for both of our hearts."

"A heart has problems which mind cannot                   understand"

~ Santosh Kalwar,                                                           Quote Me Everyday

Arnav looked at the child dressed in a woman's clothes, trying to run away from him. He had to try very hard not to laugh at her indignation and worry over her physical response to him.

"Tomorrow evening at 5, Khushi. We will come to your house.", he promised her.

"Romance is a tender kiss with a lingering promise     of more to come"

~ Tim Campbell

Khushi nodded.

"Give me the way to your house."

Khushi did, describing everything in great detail.

"I will park the car in the next street.", Arnav told her.

"That would be better.", said Khushi.

"Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success"

~ Stephen A. Brennan

She looked at him silently for a few seconds. "Poor Anjaliji. Her world will collapse tomorrow 'because of us'"

"Because of Shyam.", Arnav corrected her. "Because he never loved her, but tricked her into thinking that he did'because he married her for money' because he lived off me for the past 3 years, using the huge amount I paid into his account every month, but still didn't learn the meaning of the word 'gratitude''because he is immoral enough to commit bigamy'"

"That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste"

~ John Green, Paper Towns

"Still'", Khushi wept in her heart for Anjaliji.

"She has gone through worse & survived. She will survive this too.", Arnav vowed.

Khushi nodded. "She has you. She will survive. You will make everything alright." 

"As human beings,

our greatness lies not so much

in being able to remake the world

as in being able to remake ourselves"

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Arnav stared at the girl who was reposing her trust in him in a matter-of-fact way.

"Hum chalte he, Arnavji.", she said.

"Call me tonight.", Arnav said.

"I don't know if I can.", she sighed. "Woh kya he, that' that rascal is following me around the house. Everywhere I go, there he is. He is always looking at me with those big, round, cold eyes' How can I hide in the bathroom or bedroom again?"

"A wanton eye is a messenger of an unchaste heart"

~ Saint Aurelius Augustine

"Then I will call you.", Arnav said.

"He Devi Maiyya! Don't! I will have to answer a hundred questions from Buaji about who is calling me, why, how, when, what, where'"

"Not all questions can be answered"

~ Edward Abbey,                                                           Postcards from Ed

Khushi looked at him, astonished. His fiery eyes ran up & down her body, lingering on her figure.

Khushi clutched her thudding heart. "Don't look at me! Don't come near me! I know karate!", she threatened him.

Arnav choked with laughter. "Really?", he drawled.

"Really.", Khushi lied. "And don't use black magic against me. I will put poppy seeds in your drink and make you cough all night."

Arnav burst out laughing, watching Khushi scurrying away.

"A smile starts on the lips, A grin spreads to the           eyes, A chuckle comes from the belly; But a good       laugh bursts forth from the soul, Overflows, and       bubbles all around"

~ Carolyn Birmingham

That night, Arnav called Khushi.

Khushi was stuffing her face with her Amma's pooris when her phone rang. 

The display showed 'Banke Lalji!'

The poori went down the wrong way, and Khushi started coughing, clutching her throat.

Payal quickly passed her a glass of water, & Buaji rubbed her back. As soon as she could breathe, she grabbed the phone.

"What the!", exclaimed Arnav.

"Come, come, good wine is a good familiar creature   if it be well used; exclaim no more against it"

~ William Shakespeare

"Who is calling you at night, Sanka Devi?", he could hear Buaji ask.

"Banke Lalji, Buaji!"

"Who is that? And why should he call at night, Nandkisore?", Buaji wondered.

"Pose your questions to people and you will get  countless useless answers"

~ Dejan Stojanovic,                                                     The Sun Watches the Sun

"He.. I mean, Banke Lalji, runs a dress shop near the temple. I.. I had asked him for a' a pink lehenga. Then he had said that if I leave my phone number, he will call to let me know when his next load arrives'" Arnav heard Khushi tell the tale to her family.

"Khushiji'", he heard Shyam speak. Arnav's fingers caught his phone in  a death hold. "You must not give out your phone number to every man who asks for it."

"When you squeeze an orange, orange juice comes        out, because that's what's inside. When you are          squeezed, what comes out is what is inside"  

~ Wayne Dyer

Arnav heard Khushi reply, "Shyamji, he is not any man. Banke Lalji has always kept his word. I trust him."

"Khushiji, your knowledge of the world is small. And the world is full of cheats and tricksters'.", Shyam continued.

"People generally didn't cheat in good                           relationships."

~ Emily Giffin, Something Blue

Buaji nodded, but said, "Titliyaa is sanki, but not an idiot. She is careful. She must know Banke Lalji well." She turned to Khushi, "E Titliyaa, Banke Lalji must be middle aged?"

"Haan, Buaji. With a paunch. And big mush. Now let me talk to him.", Khushi got up and left the room. 

"Do not trust all men,

But trust men of worth;

The former course is silly,

The later a mark of Prudence"

~ Democritus

She walked into her Babuji's room and shut the door. He was asleep.

"So I am middle aged?", Arnav asked.

"Ji, with a big paunch & mush. Happy?", Khushi asked.

"You stored my number under Banke Lalji? Excuse me?", Arnav asked.

"You are excused. If you have something to say, say it fast, Arnavji. That rascal is yelping at my feet like a mad dog. I am hiding in Babuji's room. Soon he will come & knock on the door to make sure that I haven't flown out through the window with Banke Lalji!."

"I'm sorry if this all seems a little rushed and               desperate. It is"

~ Chuck Palahniuk,                                                       Stranger Than Fiction

"Poor Khushi'.", Arnav smiled.

"Very poor Khushi! How does your sister live with this man? Two minutes in the same room, and I am ready to run away."

Arnav sighed.

"I am sorry, Arnavji. I didn't mean to make you sad."

"It is not your fault. I just called to say that you needn't worry about tomorrow, Khushi. I will take care of everything."

"I know.", Khushi said.

"The closest thing to being cared for is to care for       someone else."

~ Carson McCullers,                                               The Square Root of Wonderful

"Take as many photos as you can of the rascal sitting and smiling with your family."

"I will.

Finally, Khushi said, "Thank you, Arnavji. But for you'"

"No, thank you, Khushi. If you hadn't taken the trouble to find me, made me listen, braved my anger'"

Both remained silent.

"The most profound statements are often said in silence"

~ Lynn Johnston,                                                        For Better or For Worse

Khushi nodded. Arnav smiled.

"Shubh Raatri, Arnavji!", she said.

"Good night.", he said.

"No matter the sky is black or blue,

No matter there is stars or moon,

As long as your heart is true, Sweet dreams will   always be with you.

Good night"

Tuesday noon saw the Raizadas dressing up to go to Khushi's house to claim her for Arnav.

"Will this sari do, Arnav Bitwaa?", Mami asked.

Arnav blinked at the bright yellow, and nodded weakly.

Nani & Anjali came bustling into the room. "We are ready, Chotey."

"Me too.", said NK, straightening his jacket. The laughter was missing from his eyes.

"All things are ready, if our mind be so"

~ William Shakespeare, Henry V

"Di, did you call Jiju in the morning?", asked Arnav.

"I did, Chotey. But his phone was switched off.", Anjali frowned.

"Maybe he will call before we leave.", Arnav said mildly.

As if on cue, her phone rang. It was Shyam.

"Aap! I am angry with you. I called you in the morning, and you didn't even attend the call!", Anjali pouted.

"Rani Sahiba, I was travelling'.."

"Where are you now?", she asked.

"Kanpur."

"Oh!"

"I had to meet two people here, Rani Sahiba."

Anjali grimaced.

"It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one"

~ George Washington

"I called to say that I will be very busy today. So don't call me today, whatever the matter may be."

Anjali frowned.

"Rani Sahiba, hum phone rakhte he!" He cut the call, but before he did, Anjali heard a lady say, "Shyamji, your tea!"

Anjali paled.

"Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"

~ Michael Jackson

"Kya hua, Di?", asked Arnav. All the others looked at her anxiously.

"Nothing.", Anjali forced a smile on her lips. This was a big day for Chotey. And Khushiji had to be rescued from her unwelcome suitor. "Shyamji was just telling me that he will be very busy today, & that he would speak to me tomorrow. That he is in Kanpur right now."

"Doubt everything. Find your own light"

~ Gautama Buddha

All nodded, uneasy smiles on their faces.

"Shall we leave?", Arnav asked.

"Haan, haan, let's go.", Mami said, and herded all the others out.

The ladies in the neighbourhood were all gathered at Buaji's house to witness the sagai between Khushi & Shyamji.

Shyamji, in  a red sherwani, looked regal, like a bridegroom.

"Looks like you are ready to get married today itself, Shyamji!", Vimla Maasi teased him. All the ladies laughed. 

Babuji glared at Shyam.

Shyam smiled wanly, & wiped the sweat off his face. He had asked Buaji to keep the function family-only, but when had that witch ever listened to him?

"He let out a long sorry sigh and I love that look on     his face, that disappointment. I understand now         why girls resist, just for that sweet look of regret..."

~ Kathryn Stockett, The Help

Buaji sighed. "It is a great pity, Shyam Babua, that you are an orphan. How wonderful it would have been, Nandkisore, if your family could have joined us on this happy occasion!"

Amma & Payal led Khushi out into the hall.

Dressed in a red lehenga, her hair put up, her body adorned with old jewellery, she looked a treat.

Buaji led Shyam to a seat in the centre of the crowd, and Amma & Payal made Khushi sit by him.

"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she         wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she         combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in     her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart,     the place where love resides. True beauty in a             woman is reflected in her soul"

Khushi panted, looking at the clock. Five to five.

Shyam smiled his oily smile at her. Khushi stretched her lips & showed him her teeth. The seconds passed.

Amma & Buaji laid out the rings on two trays covered with rose petals.

The clock struck 5. 

"Shall we begin?", asked Buaji.

All the guests nodded.

With a triumphant smile, Shyam took a ring and reached out to capture Khushi's hand'

The front door of the house was pushed open as Arnav, NK, & Akash walked in, followed by the ladies.

Khushi's breath left her in a rush of relief. Her eyes caught Arnavji's. He nodded at her.

"The strong survive, but the courageous triumph."

~ Michael Scott, The Warlock

"Who are you, Nandkisore?", asked poor Buaji. 

Seeking answer to her question as to why the heart palpitates rapidly when they near one another, her worried eyes lifted up to his. When he answered her in his soft husky voice, "Because... because it happens to both of them'." she innocently asked him taking his word for it, "Acha? It happened to you too?" Arnav watching her closely concurred with her.

"It's often just enough to be with someone. I don't      need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes    between you both. You're not alone"

~  Marilyn Monroe

After observing him for a while she said that this is a weird world. We are faking to be girlfriend-boyfriend and both of us getting the same feelings! Getting, "dhak dhak & acidity, panting for breath as though I just climbed the Himalayas..." She declared that she is heading home and had enough of these strange feelings for a day.

"I am weird, and you know what? That's OK. So        are most interesting people."

~ Em Bailey, Shift

Arnav offered to drop her home and in reply got a comment, "Haaan, and that rascal will see you dropping me home. Then what will I tell him?" Arnav realized that she had a valid point and then told her that he would get an auto for her and stepped closer. Seeing him head towards her, she said aloud, "No! Aaap door rahiye! Don't come close to me. It is bad for both of our hearts."

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows not"

~ Blaise Pascal

Arnav, watching her trying scoot away and put as much distance as she could between them, had to restrain his laughter, over the way she was handling her physical response that his presence was evoking. He promised to be there for her the next day at 5 p.m. "Tomorrow evening at 5, Khushi. We will come to your house." And Khushi nodded.

"A promise is a cloud; fulfillment is rain"                                ~  Arabian Proverb

When he asked her address and the route to be taken, Khushi gave him the direction in detail. He said that he would be parking the car away in the next street, and she felt that it was a good idea.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to             victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before   defeat"

~ Sun Tzu

Suddenly she realized what they were about to do would reflect badly on Anjali and her fairy tale world would collapse. When she told him, it would be because of them he corrected her that it was due to Shyam. It has happened so"Because he never loved her, but tricked her into thinking that he did' because he married her for money' because he lived off me for the past 3 years, using the huge amount I paid into his account every month, but still didn't learn the meaning of the word 'gratitude'' because he is immoral enough to commit bigamy'"

"There's always the possibility that a person can get   attracted to another... It's human nature, it's             normal... But when you're in a commitment, you       have to discipline yourself. As long as you don't         entertain the feeling and know the borderline             between cheating and fidelity. Recognize the reality   that you already have that one special person who     gives you more than what you can get from cheap     thrills of attraction..."

Even then her heart wept for Anjali who was innocent and her fault lay in loving the libertine and marrying him. Shyam had faultlessly played the role of a devoted husband, played with her emotions and tricked her. Arnav told Khushi, "She has gone through worse & survived. She will survive this too." Khushi agreed with him and said that with him by her side Anjali would survive and he would smooth out things for her.

"Being with no one is better than being with the           wrong one"

Arnav was amazed that a girl whom he had met just a few days earlier had such faith in him and such belief in his ability as to be able to take care of all the things and still be the pillar of strength!

He wondered at her uncanny ability to judge so well even after their disastrous first encounter. When she told him that she would be leaving to go home he asked her to call him. Breathing out a heavy sigh she said, "I don't know if I can. Woh kya he, that' that rascal is following me around the house. Everywhere I go, there he is. He is always looking at me with those big, round, cold eyes' How can I hide in the bathroom or bedroom again?"

"What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent         with your mouth"

~ Yiddish Proverb

Arnav decided then he would call her and told her so. It set her in panic and respond, "He Devi Maiyya! Don't! I will have to answer a hundred questions from Buaji about who is calling me, why, how, when, what, where'"

"There are always answers. We just have to be             smart enough"

~ John Green,                                                                Looking for Alaska

Seeing her panic, Arnav changed the topic and said that she looked beautiful. He was successful in distracting her. It made her look at him stunned with big round eyes! His caramel eyes, drank in the vision before him. Khushi clutched her heart at his blatant perusal. His eyes lingered over her curves making her tingle from head to toe. Her power of reasoning just grew wings and flew away. Mustering her courage she threatened him, "Don't look at me! Don't come near me! I know karate!" making Arnav swallow his laughter and drawl, "Really?" Her response, "Really. And don't use black magic against me. I will put poppy seeds in your drink and make you cough all night" left him with no option but to burst out with laughter. He watched Khushi scoot away.

"At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into     a kaleidoscope of new possibilities"   

~ Jean Houston

That night while Khushi was having her dinner, she received the call from Arnav, the one she had been waiting. It was displayed as Banke Lalji on the screen. Khushi who was eating poori's choked and started to cough. Payal passed on a glass of water and Buaji rubbed her back. As soon as she was alright she grabbed the phone and said, "Banke Lalji! How can I help you?" and got an exclamation, "What the!"

"Everybody keeps telling me how surprised they are   with what I've done. But I'm telling you honestly       that it doesn't surprise me. I knew I could do it"

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Soon came the inquiry from her Buaji, as predicted by Khushi. "Who is calling you at night, Sanka Devi?" she was asked. "Banke Lalji, Buaji!" pat came the reply. "Who is that? And why should he call at night, Nandkisore?" was Buaji's remark.

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies."

~ Oliver Goldsmith

She explained to them that Banke Lalji ran a dress shop near the temple and she had asked him for a pink lehenga. Aes he didn't have the stock, a he had said that if she left her cell number with him, he would let her know as soon as he was able to procure it for her. Arnav heard this tale, that she was making up then and there for her family. As soon as she stopped her narration Arnav heard Shyam speak. He adviced, "Khushiji.. You must not give out your phone number to every man who asks for it." Hearing Shyam doling out free advice had Arnav's anger reach the pinnacle. He tightly gripped on his cellphone as though squeezing the life out of it imagining it to be Shyam's neck.

"Choosing not to act on angry impulse and to feel       the pain that lies beneath it is a very courageous         thing to do"

~ Gary Zukov

Arnav could hear Khushi replying that it was not any man but Banke Lalji on whom she had trust, to do the right things. He had never betrayed her and had always kept his words. But the slimy Shyam who was gifted with a glib tongue said in a condenscing tone, "Khushiji, your knowledge of the world is small. And the world is full of cheats and tricksters..",

"Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly               slipping lead into the boxing-glove."

~ P.G. Wodehouse,                                                          Very Good, Jeeves

Buaji agreed with Shyam but told him, "Titliyaa is sanki, but not an idiot. She is careful. She must know Banke Lalji well." She showed Shyam that she had full faith in her neice and asked Khushi, "E Titliyaa, Banke Lalji must be middle aged?" Khushi happily answered, "Haan, Buaji. With a paunch. And big mush. Now let me talk to him." Saying that, she left the room to take the call.

"A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the               branch breaking, because its trust is not on the           branch but on it's own wings"

She felt her Babuji's room was the best as he knew all about it and he was asleep. As soon as she shut the door, Arnav asked her, "So I am middle aged?" She teased him saying, "Ji, with a big paunch & mush. Happy?" Arnav couldn't believe that she had storeed his number under that hideous name! "You stored my number under Banke Lalji? Excuse me?" He was flabbergasted. The only similarity if one compared it would have been that both were in dapper business! Uhh!

Khushi urged him to take up the matter at hand stating, "You are excused. If you have something to say, say it fast, Arnavji. That rascal is yelping at my feet like a mad dog. I am hiding in Babuji's room. Soon he will come & knock on the door to make sure that I haven't flown out through the window with Banke Lalji!."

"One of the great disadvantages of hurry is that it       takes such a long time"

~ G.K. Chesterton,                                                        All Things Considered

Hearing all the things that she had to under go he sympathised with her and she asked him, how does his sister put up with that fool, while she struggle to stay mere two minutes in his presence in the same room! Her querry brought in a sigh from him. When she apologized, he told her that it was not her fault that things turned out to be so. He asked her not to worry and assured that he would take care of everything. She said she knew he would.

"You think you're lost but you're not lost on your       own. You're not alone. I will stand by you, I will         help you through when you've done all you can do.

If you can't cope, I will dry your eyes

I will fight your fight, I will hold you tight and I         wont let go"

~ Rascal Flatts

He asked her to get as many pictures of him with her family, amidst her family. She assured him that she would comply with his request. Then the silence reigned. Both were reluctant to end the call. At last Khushi thanked him for all his help and said, "Thank you, Arnavji. But for you'" He cut her off saying, "No, thank you, Khushi. If you hadn't taken the trouble to find me, made me listen, braved my anger'". He acknowledged that it was she whom he had to thank for taking the initiative to approach him, an unknown person. When met with denials to get access to meet him, her tenacity not to give up and keep on trying various viable means was admirable. Finally when they met her tolerance towards his anger helped him to understand the level to which Shyam would stoop. He was grateful for her help to remove the veil covering his sister's eyes.

"Silence is more musical than any song"

~ Christina Rossetti

Finally he stressed that she was not alone and he would be there for her when she needs. Khushi nodded and he smiled! (I am intrigued as to how is Arnav able to make out that she is nodding over the cell phone!) Wishing each other a good night they cut the call knowing that the next day was the   D-day of OFSO. 

"Good night messages does not only mean good   night or sweet dreams. It also silently says, that I       think of you before going to bed"

'Good Night'

Tuesday noon, all the Raizada's were gearing themselves up, to go to Khushi's house with a marriage proposal from Arnav. The ladies were  very enthusiastic. Akash and NK said they too were ready but had a serious look on their face! NK who had a bubbly nature was all staid and the usual twinkle and naughtiness in his eyes were missing.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

~ Benjamin Franklin

Arnav asked his sister whether Shyam had given his usual call. When she frowned that it had been switched off, he consoled her saying, may be he'll call her before they leave. Right on cue came the call. Anjali admonished Shyam for not calling her and she expressed her anger. He tried to pacify her saying he was on road and using the endearment 'Rani Sahiba'. When asked his whereabouts she was told that he was in Kanpur and had to meet two people there. Hearing him talk about his work she grimaced! He was trying to charm her as usual with his sweet talk.

"There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for     lying the number is infinite"

~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon,                                                     The Shadow of the Wind

He further said that he would be extremely busy that day and asked not to call him that day at all. This had Anjali scrunch her forehead. While he told her that he is disconnecting the call Anjali heard a female voice tell, "Shyamji, your tea!"

Anjali's face took on a palish hue.

"Things come apart so easily when they have been       held together with lies"

~ Dorothy Allison,                                                       Bas***d Out of Carolina

Arnav asked her what was the reason for her face to become ashened. She just shrugged and told him that it was nothing with a forced smile on her lips. She didn't want to make a hue and cry over what she had overheard. She had the work in hand that is, to rescue Khushi from the clutches of her unwelcome suitor, and seek her hand for her Chotey. So mustering all her wits about, she told them that Shyam had asked her not to call, as he would be busy that day, and he would call her the next day from Kanpur itself.

"Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith"

~ Paul Tillich

All nodded with an uneasy smile adorning their face. At Arnav's instigation they all got out.

Meanwhile at Khushi's place the ladies in the neighbourhood had gathered for the ceremony. Shyam had dressed himself like a groom and looked regal in red sherwani. Ladies were teasing him.  "Looks like you are ready to get married today itself, Shyamji!", teased Vimla Maasi. Babuji who was sitting there was glaring at Shyam He had never trusted him and he didn't want his Khushi to be betrothed to this mean fellow. Shyam who was not used to being teased and also feeling nervous from the glare he was being subjected to by Babuji, was seen wiping the sweat formed on his face.

"Oh no! Don't smile. You'll kill me. I stop breathing   when you smile."

~ Tessa Dare,                                                             A Lady of Persuasion

He had asked, Buaji to keep it as a small function but she had not heeded it. He thought of the sweet, straightforward lady as a witch for not heeding his sentiments. Thinking him to be an orphan, Buaji told him "It is a great pity, Shyam Babua, that you are an orphan. How wonderful it would have been, Nandkisore, if your family could have joined us on this happy occasion!"

Amma and Payal led  Khushi to the hall. Khushi in red lehenga, decked with old jewellery, was a sight to behold!

With Buaji leading Shyam to the centre of the crowd, Khushi was made to sit beside him.

"A woman's beautiful face attracts a flirter,               a woman's beautiful heart attracts a lover,               a woman's beautiful character attracts a man"

Khushi got worried. With the clock showing five minutes to five she didn't see the Raizada's. Shyam meanwhile was trying to hold her eyes with his slick and slimy, lecherous smile. Khushi was having a difficult time. When the rings arranged in two trays covered with rose petals were laid out, the clock struck five. With the approval of the guests, they decided to begin the ceremony. With a smile beaming from ear to ear, that said, At last, mine! Shyam taking the ring in one hand, tried to hold Khushi's hand to place it on her finger. Right on cue, the front door was pushed open as the Three Musketeers, Arnav, NK and Akash walked in nonchalantly followed by the ladies! (Smita, I don't know why but this scene reminded me of Louis La'mour's Sackett series, western fiction and in that series, particularly, The Day Breakers! Uh! You have made my day! In fact I am tempted to rewrite this scene from it . If it deviates from what you have written do forgive me! I'll try not to think of it!)Khushi breathed a sigh of relief. Her eyes sought Arnav's and he with a subtle nod indicated that everything was under control.

"One day can change your life. One day can ruin          your life. All life is three or four big days that            change everything"

~ Beverly Donofrio

Seeing strangers enter their house, Buaji as the Head of Gupta family asked, "Who are you, Nandkisore?" Arnav's reply, "Shyam Manohar Jha's family." had them  dumbfounded!

Throughout the update we see how Arnav is planning things with the help of Khushi.

In the beginning, he assures Khushi that her feelings were normal and he too felt the same way. He indicates to her that they were sailing  in the same boat. This gives her confidence and it also helped him in getting her support all through as she now knows him to be a fair minded person.

He could have laughed at her but he didn't do so. He explained to her with patience. Here too he has secured the hatches not just for OSFO, but for his life time.

During his call at night, he asks her to take pictures of Shyam amidst her family, as many as she could, that could be used as evidence if necessary!

First he asked his sister, whether she received call from Shyam and then assuaging her that it will come through.

When the call comes she is disturbed that her husband asked her not to contact him. It plays a major role in her mind as already, Arnav's subtle hints the previous day had nudged her to doubt Shyam. At the end of the call hearing a lady's voice asking him to have his tea, makes her all the more uncomfortable towards Shyam's behavior! She has her doubts but doesn't disclose as not to mar her brother's big day!

Akash and NK's grim face tells us that Arnav has kept them in loop, garnering their support to the blow he is going to dish out to Shyam. Once more he has placed his armor and buttoned up.

Finally making a dramatic appearance right on time to see Shyam trying to place the ring on her finger, Arnav Singh Raizada has secured the hatches enabling his sister to see for herself what a heel her husband is, thereby making it easy for him to flush Shyam out of her life. He has made her future secure  by  securing the hatches.

That is why I have termed Arnav Singh Raizada's  preparation for trouble as

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

Thats it from me. Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by rulama - 11 years ago
naughtymallu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Res😳
*****Edited*****
YAY!!Me on the same page of update...First time😆

Coming to the update...
 "Because'because it happens to both of them'."

OMG!!!Is this our ASR??Pinch me...ASR is romantic..😳 😳 and loved their conversation

Khushi is really cute...I love her😆

So she has started trusting him..😳 😳

Me faintwa here😆..

😆 🤣 This reminded me Kareena in Jab We Met😃

OMG!!!Only Khushi can call him such cutie names😆

"Khushiji, your knowledge of the world is small. And the world is full of cheats and tricksters'.", Shyam continued.
Shyam should add"like me Khushiji"

Dhak Dhak...Dhak Dhak..Dhak Dhak🤪

Yeah Khushi..You are not alone...You have Arnavji with you..Why fear when Arnavji is here?

Did they come to know about Shyam?

With a triumphant smile, Shyam took a ring and reached out to capture Khushi's hand'.
OMG!!!ASR come fast...

Our hero is here to save his heroine...YAY

Waiting for everybody's reactionwa...

Smita Di, The update was

Once again thanks a lot for the sweet update...and Rulama Di thanks a ton for posting it here

Edited by naughtymallu - 11 years ago
sphobic thumbnail
really niece update.really looking forward for anjali's reaction.plsss update soon.Edited by sphobic - 11 years ago
PhoenixTears thumbnail
Yayy.. Loved the part 9. It was super awesome, waiting for family's reaction now, lets see how you unfold it 😊
ranogill thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
yes at last...what will happen now ...we will laugh or cry
Sayali_23 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Smitajiii...

This Arnav is soo smart... intelligent and Naughty and i m in love with him 

Khushi telling she knows  was 

Sooo the stage is set... and in next part... Snake... 

So looking forward to it...

but feel really sad for Anjali and Raizada family they are going to Khushi's place all happy and they are going to be 

Edited by sayali_d23 - 11 years ago
IronButterfly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Finally his true colors will be revealed!