Shama: I refuse to be another bahu

anonmember thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

'I refuse to be another bahu '

Shama Sikander may be out of work right now, but she says that she will not play second fiddle to anyone

HARSHADA REGE

One still remembers her as Pooja from Yeh Meri Life Hai. Somehow, actor Shama Sikander has not been able to outgrow her character. The serial, which started as the story of a middle-class girl's fight to make it big, turned into a full-fledged family drama and even Shama admits to being disappointed with the change in track. "Yes, even I was disappointed with the way the serial changed. But I was committed to doing it," says Shama. The actor explains that doing the same role can get monotonous and boring, which is why she likes doing commercials.
    The current trend in Indian television might be of saasbahus but Shama is not too keen to play a bahu again. "I refuse to play another bahu. I have been offered many such roles but I haven't agreed to any of them." And like most TV actors, is Bollywood her next destination? "Why not? I would love to do films. The way TV has shaped up, every serial looks the same. With films it's different. Once a project is done, the actors can go on to play another character," she says. But if that's the case, why is it that she didn't take up any project along with Yeh Meri Life Hai? "That's because I had no time for anything else. I used be busy shooting for Yeh Meri... In fact, if you see, actors who play lead roles don't get to do too many roles. Actors who are not pivotal to the plot can do many serials at a time," she says. So, is she biding farewell to TV? "No, I am just looking for something exciting to come my way. I don't know what I want to do next. I am ready to do anything that excites me," says Shama.
    And though she is not too fond of saas-bahu sagas, she likes Smriti Iraani. Shama says, "I think she has done a great job. Doing the same character with such conviction for so many years is not child's play."

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ThE_kHan07 thumbnail
Not wanting to play another bahu??

GOOD JOB SHAMA! 😃
radha_8 thumbnail
👏 👏 .............way to go...Shama. 👏
BanjonSharib_fa thumbnail
at least she doesent want 2 play another bahu i think evury body these dayz only play sumbodyz bahu.da #1 show Kyun Ki Saas Kabhi Bahu Thi lolz.....bahu....i wud luv 2 c shama in amovie i think she wud gr8 wit john abraham....lolz
Bubbles_Rox thumbnail
lol....thx 4 the article!! 😃
No Angel thumbnail
Humm.. she's got brains!!!!!! 😃
angelsgurl thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
she wudnt look nice as a bahu.. she looks relli relli pretty so she shud be youngerr
soul_stealer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
wow she luks GORGEOUS   😉 😉 😉
koenigbobo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
lol kool thnkx 4 sharin 😛