The "punjabi mode" comment by Poorvi

CanadianAddict thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
As someone who is punjabi, but also as someone who always concentrated her studies in cultural learning and sensitivity, I felt that comment was a little uncalled for. Amit saying that Poorvi was always stuck to one genre wasn't a personal attack. But I find poorvi's comment in poor taste, minus her English accent on the word punjabi. There is no one thing that defines any culture and saying Amit is in punjabi mode generalizes the culture to a few traits. Punjab is filled with many different styles of singing. I don't like these types of comment, whether it be someone saying punjabi or Bengali, tamil etc. mode.

p.s. this is not bashing Poorvi, as she sings well in her genre and I have criticized and praised every singer and I like it when she sings what she is good at, this is about the comment specifically.  I may be reading too much in to it, since my masters thesis is also aimed towards this subject matter.
Edited by CanadianAddict - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sunom thumbnail
I enjoy songs of amit but not of poorvi
_Invincible_ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
agree...Similar can b said 4 poorvi as she is only good at kinda "Western Mode".
but dis is upto her as its her attitude and here we will just concentrate on every1's singing capability...so i hope she stops giving such discriminating opinions...

Though dis season its really hard to choose a fav. coz every1 is ordinary...

aditee thumbnail
Porvi is highly overrarted

She has limited talent
sunom thumbnail
in western songs, voice might be different in many lines but what is original voice then. Is it not imitation or artificial voice. if so, then, where how to realize soul of the song.
Shayu. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
this is what i dont like in her...having attitude is a big minus point in her and always singing in her comfort zone...and now this kinda comments...
sami01 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
it was sad and demeaning effect,Punjabi singing like heer,mirza or even regular dhol style folk which is popular are not easy ways of singing ...amit is better singer than purvi as dam dam diga song he did well on as in general depth of mukesh songs is sometimes so hard to capture... on other hand purvi sang Rd burman's shor sharaba song,though confidently but ...her comment on Punjabi element showed her contempt towards may be her own mother tongue----and i certainly was very disappointed with it
Ritzie thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Well, I thought of this little differently. 

I felt that why only they both pointed each other. It could be some  off-screen personal fight between them which came as comment.  Personally, I like both Amit and Poorvi equally for their own styles.

evonora thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I thought it was kind of wearied for her to make that comment as well since she is from Chandigarh her self...
that chick is strange.. she has got a nice voice..but she is stuck on the same notes..she has to change it up so we can actually see and hear that she is versatile