SAB's tickling the funny bone

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

SAB's tickling the funny bone

SAB, the original comedy channel, is back to doing what it does best. From July 24, the channel has introduced a new programming block Poore 32 Chahiye dedicated to comedies in the 8.30 pm band. The first to go on air is Ji Behanji starring Rajeshwari Sachdeva in the title role. Reminiscent of the yesteryear's Rajni, Rajeshwari's Behanji is the local messiah who fights for all just causes. The way she takes on the goons and those in the authority is purported to raise laughter. Dressed in a traditional salwar-kameez and a long oiled plait, this Behanji's only concession to modernism is the stylish moped on which she rides about. Talking about her role, the actress agrees that parallels can be drawn with Rajni "but you have to watch it to see how different it is". Ashwini Dheer, who is scripting the show, says he was inspired by his mother, wife and other Indian behanjis who, according to him, are the ones "who run the nation". Tuesdays are devoted to Yes Boss, the ongoing hit show of SAB about an office romance that never blossoms. It stars Rakesh Bedi, Kavita Kapoor, Sulbha Arya and Asif Sheikh. The show is nearing 500 episodes and the team is raring to go for another 500. "It's one show that hasn't fatigued me. Normally, when you do a show for so long, monotony sets in. But even today I look forward to going on the sets and shooting for Yes Boss," enthuses Rakesh. Asif claims that the entire unit is like a family to him while Sulbha promises that as long as she is there she will keep harassing Rakesh who plays her son-in-law and find admirable qualities in her daughter Kavita's boss, Asif. Ishq Ki Ghanti, which rings on Wednesdays, has taken a leaf out of hit comedy films Shaadi No. 1, Masti and No Entry. Accordingly, we have three married guys Asif Sheikh, Gaurav Gera and Rajesh Balwani looking for romance on the side. While Asif is saddled with a man bashing feminist wife, Rajesh's better-half is spiritually inclined, while Gaurav's wife is over-the-top, pun intended. Her fantasies are a source of terror to the mild-natured Gaurav. The three guys team want to start a gym for women and you can only imagine what the outcome will be! Says Gaurav Gera, "I enjoyed films like Kya Kool Hai Hum and Masti and always wanted to be a part of this kind of humour. Yet, I must confess, I was apprehensive about the sitcom being too bold but when I heard the script I realised it is just naughty."
< = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=681659960&what=zone:443&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
And if you don't like it you can file a FIR on Thursday. And we vote it as one of the best shows to go on air. A satire on a police station, the humour is irreverent but scathing. "It's about simple cops who want to lead a trouble free life to the extent that they refuse to register complaints and if they do, try their best to leave it unresolved," explains Ashwini Dheer who's penning it. The first case to be handled by the cops includes a tomboyish woman sub-inspector, is that of a missing eyebrow! Watch it to see how the case is solved. Kavita Kaushik as the no-nonsense cop Chandramukhi Chauhan with a Haryanvi accent is a treat to watch. "My father retired as a cop and he is my inspiration. I have adapted his body language, attitude and tone," she reveals. It was her idea to adapt a Haryanvi accent as the "Maharashtrian accent has been done to death." Come Fridays, it's time to Party. A bunch of guys get together to form a group Let's Party and their job is to do just that. Like the wedding planners, this group led by Raja Hindustani (Deepak Raja), a finalist of Laughter Challenge, are experts at organising parties. The reason to party may be as varied as somebody celebrating a wedding anniversary, somebody throwing a bash for a divorce coming through or even as silly as a dog's birthday. The idea is to let your hair and have a blast. This show, however, promises more than just humour. Of the five new shows, this is the only one with a social message says Vikas Bahl, Senior VP and Business Head, SAB. "At every party the gang meets new people and explores their inter-relationships. For instance, a woman wants a party for her 25th wedding anniversary but at the bash, the gang realises that the husband and wife have not been on talking terms for ten years and they take it upon themselves to reunite them." As Deepak Raja puts it, "it's our job to make people laugh but if it is followed by a message it is sone pe suhaga." That ends the line-up of new comedies in that block. "If we had more budget we would have extended the band to Saturday and Sunday also," sighs Vikas Bahl. Terming the shows as new-age comedies with differential treatment, Priya Mishra, Programming Head says, "these comedies are about real people with real relationships. There are no spoofs or slapstick comedies here." Now, whether they raise laughter or create a whimper is something we have to wait and watch.