ON THE ACCIDENT THAT CHANGED HER LIFE-SHUBHANGI

cintu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
ON THE ACCIDENT THAT CHANGED HER LIFE

€œTHE DOCTOR SAID I COULD END UP BEING PARALYZED€

Everything about the telly world is quite alluring. The glitz, the glamour and the instant fame €" it is difficult, if not impossible to resist it all. No wonder then that thousands throng the city everyday in the hope of beginning their romance with this fickle yet glamorous world of entertainment. Unfortunately, the picture is not all rosy.

Ask Shubhangi Atre €" the girl who shot to fame with her act in Kasautii Zindagii Kay, became a household name with Kasturi and was enjoying her tryst with success playing the lead role in Rajshri Productions€™ Do Hanson Ka Joda. But a serious accident on the sets of Do Hanson Ka Joda changed things irreversibly for this actress. As if the injury wasn€™t bad enough, Shubhangi had to also deal with malicious co-stars, indifferent and apathetic team members and finally, the loss of a show she had called her own. She reveals the dark and murky side of television industry as she bares her heart out to Showtime.  

One never forgets the incident that changes the course of your life. Even Shubhangi vividly remembers her ill-fated accident. €œWe were shooting on the outskirts of Mumbai. We had to shoot a sequence inside the train. We shot for that and then at a certain station, we had to get off. So when the station arrived, everyone started getting off the train. I was the last one to get off. By the time it was my turn, the train had picked up speed. And I just heard someone shout €˜Shubhangi, jump€™. You know, during these instances, you can€™t really think. As soon as I heard that, I just jumped. So I fell hard on the platform and in the process, hurt myself very badly. That day€™s shoot was wrapped up anyway. So I went home, took painkillers and went to sleep. I didn€™t think it was very serious,€ she recollects.

€œThe next day, I again took painkillers and went for the shoot. Initially it was fine. But once the effect of the painkillers started subsiding, I felt an awful pain. I couldn€™t bear it. I started crying out in pain and went and lay down on the station master€™s bench where we were shooting. Seeing my condition, they left me early that day. That€™s when I went to the doctor and found out that my lumbar spine had got dislocated. The doctor advised me strict bed rest for one month at least. He said that if I didn€™t take bed rest and if I put any strain on my back and legs, I could end up being paralyzed. I obviously got very scared then.€

Quite naturally, Shubhangi did what anyone else in her situation would do. She informed the show€™s producers of her medical condition and how she would not be able to shoot for the show anytime in the near future. Little did she know that they would pull the show off air. She argues, €œSee, I had a genuine problem. And hasn€™t it happened before in other shows that they have replaced the main leads? So if they wanted, they could have done it here too. Let€™s face it; I haven€™t become so popular that the show runs only because of me. It€™s not that people watch the show only for me. I€™m not a star in that sense yet. So they could€™ve easily replaced me with a more talented actress or a more popular one. Why didn€™t they do it? I honestly wanted the show to continue without me.€

But that wasn€™t all. There were reports of her show€™s co-star Shaleen Bhanot went about blaming her for the show going off-air. Apparently, he even went to the extent of saying that her accident was nothing but an act. €œI don€™t know why these people thought that it was all an act because my accident happened in front of their eyes. I felt very bad when I heard those rumours. You see, I am from a small town and I have these small-town values. I get attached to people easily and I take people on their face value. Only I know how much I have cried over this. What can I do to prove that my problem is genuine? I have already shown my medical certificate to them. Do they want to talk to my doctor also? If they want, they can bring their doctor along €" he can check my condition,€ she defies.

It€™s easy to tell that the malignant rumours have affected her emotionally. She regains her composure and continues, €œSome people even thought that I had got another show. They thought I was just making up an excuse so that I could leave Do Hanson€ and do the new show. Why would I do that? Why would I lie? If I get into a new show, I can€™t hide it for long. The TV industry is so small. Within no time everybody will know about it, right? And why would I leave Do Hanson€ for a new show? This was my show after all. I was the lead here. Every actor wants to be the main lead of a show. You tell me, why would I give up all this? Why would I fool around with my career?€  

Taking a breather, she adds, €œYou know, none of my co-stars came to visit me at home when I was on bed rest. No one checked how I was doing after the accident.€
Ask her if this episode has shaken her faith in the TV industry and she quickly replies, €œHonestly, I have no complaints against anyone. I wanted to be an actress ever since I can remember. And I come from a strict Brahmin family where you couldn€™t even think about acting as a career option. So the very fact that I have made it up to here is a huge achievement for me. Now I just want to keep doing my own thing without paying attention to what others have to say.  Finally when I leave the industry, I just hope that people will remember me not only as a good actress but also as a good human being.€  

Well, the fact that Shubhangi has an undying passion for acting is more than evident. Why else would she have pursued acting after being married with a kid? €œMy husband and daughter were very supportive of my career. Initially it was a little difficult because there were a lot of night shoots and frankly, I wasn€™t used to the working culture. I€™m sure it must have been difficult for my husband and daughter also when I was out for 16 hours a day but they never complained. They were happy for me,€ she says.  

And did she, a much married woman, feel like a misfit in the industry which boasted of unmarried young actresses? Without batting an eyelid, she replies, €œYeah, my colleagues used to call me aunty. Because I used to not go to parties, or hang out with them after the shoot. But I had a husband and a kid waiting for me at home. I used to not be with them all day long, so naturally I felt like spending my free time with them. So my colleagues used to say, you are so boring, you are such an aunty.  But I never paid attention to it.€  

It€™s been a few months since the accident and Shubhangi is still on her way to recovery. €œI have started walking around again. But the doctor has told me not to do any strenuous activities. Even now, I can€™t stand for too long. I can€™t climb stairs, can€™t dance or run. There are a lot of restrictions.€

A trained classical dancer, Shubhangi had to even turn down an offer to work on Nach Le Ve With Saroj Khan And Terence Lewis due to her injury. €œThe offer came at such a time when I just couldn€™t say a yes. Otherwise, I love dancing. I had done Jalwa Four 2 Ka 1. And someday I would like to do Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. As much as I want, I can€™t do Nach Baliye. My husband has two left feet and he tells me, dance ke mamle mein tum mujhe baksh do,€ she laughs.

But where does her accident leave her acting career? Has that been put on hold for sometime now? €œI have been getting a few offers for lead roles. But I obviously can€™t do them. They demand 12-14 hours a day and I cannot strain myself so much now. So I€™m looking for roles that are not as demanding but still important to the story. I don€™t want to do blink-and-miss roles. I might even try theatre. Who knows? Anything that satisfies the actor in me,€ she smiles.

Shubhangi has been through turbulent times, to say the least. But the actress remains unfazed. She is determined to pick up the pieces and start afresh. Guess that€™s the only way one can survive in the entertainment world.  

*By Eepsita Guha
http://www.magnamags.com/content/view/7417/lang,english/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gunjan. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
glad she recovered !! god bless her alwayz !!
cintu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i m angry on her co-stars of DHKJ😡..b'coz noone visited her after d accident..so bad na🥺
Gunjan. thumbnail
her DHKJ co-stars were all big rats esp. that shaleen (sorry if ur his fan but just can't control my anger over him coz he had said very bad things for shubhu :X)

shumi. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

would like to see her new show soon😃

Gunjan. thumbnail
d promo's are already on-air on colors !!
Ishradivanluver thumbnail
omg i didnt knw this thanks for sharing sigh i wish we see shubi in a fun new role soon her new serial looks boring no effence to anyone
JasminBhasinFan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
A very sad article. The way her co stars behaved with her and treated her was so very wrong.