khushix thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 18 years ago
Stars of tomorrow

After Bipasha Basu and the Sen sisters, few have made it to the small screen in Mumbai. But hope floats. Two new faces are all set to take over the small screen and they have strong ties with the city. Neha Marda and Chandana Sharma have taken on roles quite different from the boo-hoo kind seen on television.
Neha stars in SaharaOne's Saath Rahega Always, a story set in a college campus where drama abounds. The show is all about aspirations, rivalry, romance and friendship. It's the story of Peehu Bhargava and her second-year college friends, Krish, Soham, Palak and Nitin. All of them, needless to say, are different in their temperaments and attitudes, yet they gel well. "My struggle to get into the industry was three days long! Apart from Boogie Woogie and Kaboom, I have no experience. I always wanted to become an actor and that's why I moved to Mumbai. True, Kolkata is full of opportunities but Mumbai is the entertainment capital. Here I'm getting the opportunity to work in big projects," she says. Neha has been in the spotlight for sometime, thanks to her dancing skills. She has won many competitions for her talent in bharatnatyam and salsa. "After I write my final examinations, I want to pursue higher education. I believe education is important even for actors. And my family is very strict in this regard," says the 18-year-old who has to divide time between playing Peehu and her school final examinations. For the student of Sunrise English School, dancing is a form of relaxation. Once out of school, she plans to take up an MBA degree. Neha looks up to Sudha Chandran and Madhuri Dixit for inspiration. Besides being an actor and dancer, she is also into classical music. Does this mean that we'll soon see Neha dancing to a tune rendered by her in her very own serial?
The other face is Chandana Sharma, star of Yeh Dil Chahe More on Star One. She plays the role of Tara. "It's all about a girl on the run since the eve of her marriage. Why? Because she wants to marry Shah Rukh Khan! Along the way she meets other people…We have already shot 25 episodes," says Chandana. You have seen her face while driving down any Kolkata street, for she has done ads for Vaseline body lotion, Dabur Oil, Elle 18, Parachute, Horlicks, Coca-Cola, need we say more? She has also done two ads with Shah Rukh. "He's simply superb. It's my dream to act opposite him. My second favourite is Amitabh Bachchan. Before I took up this serial, I had done a stint opposite Jeet and Jisshu." It's not the first time she has acted on the small screen — Just Mohabat, Dil Se Dosti, Ayushman and Musafir Hun Yaaron. "At present, I am concentrating on this serial and nothing else. If a good film role comes my way, I may give it a thought. But I don't want to take up something that needs me to show too much skin. Even music videos have turned tacky. The other option I may consider in future is theatre. I have done a bit in school and I know the dedication required to become a name in the theatre world," adds Chandana, who'll be in town at the end of this month or early next year on assignment. — SNS