khushix thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 18 years ago
Just not Cricket??

Cricket fever is on...and surely, there are few who mind the changes that it entails! With the India-England tour coming up tomorrow on Sahara One, a channel that's primarily for the soap viewing junta, there will be a definite shift in the demographics that watch the channel during the series.

So, viewers who are used to watching Woh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki in the afternoon, will now have to shift gears and watch the same at primetime. This also means that they have to miss out on the shows that they usually watch on other channels at that particular time. Again, the viewers might choose to give Sahara One a miss and catch the afternoon shows on different channels.

Considering that most of these shows in the afternoon are watched by housewives, who might not have the leisure to catch the show in the evening, it will be difficult to lure them back after two months (Tests from 1-22 March; ODIs from 28 March-15 April), once the series is over, since they have missed so much of the repeats!

We, at Tellychakkar.com decided to ask a cross section of viewers about what they feel about the changes --

Archana, housewife: I watch most of the afternoon shows on Sahara one. But, I am not too excited about the cricket! I might manage to watch the shows later in the evening, but not so sure. Yes, if I miss the shows now, I will lose the thread and then it will be difficult to watch them!
Pallavi, housewife: I am a keen follower of cricket and frankly, although I watch some of the shows in the afternoon, I can't catch them in the evening because I am too busy! Sometimes, it happens that I am free, but others in the family want to watch something else! I can't have monopoly over the remote both in the afternoon and then in the evening as well!

Prem, Entrepreneur: I will definitely want to watch the match! I don't watch Sahara One as it is, so it doesn't make any difference to me what the series is replacing!

Shreya Bhakri, Student: I have exams during that time! But I am a major cricket buff, I''ll catch the series as much as I can. As far as the shows on Sahara One are concerned, I watch Woh Rehne Wali...with my mother sometimes, but if the repeat doesn't happen, I think she'll watch something else!
Mohit, student: I am happy that the series will be telecast on Sahara One. Those who will miss the shows in the afternoon can watch it in the evening! Surely the remote in my house will stay with me till at least six in the evening!

Channel speak!

We spoke to Sahara One's COO, Purnendu Bose about the changes that are going to come about in the channel's line-up and the implications that it will have on viewer patterns.

Purnendu Bose

Now that you have the cricket series lined up, what happens to the afternoon repeats that are currently on air?
They go off air for the time being!

What happens during the six day gap that's there between the test matches and the ODI's?
We will telecast the current repeats of the shows that are scheduled at the particular timeslots! Again, once the series is over, we will resume the usual line up.

What about the fear of losing loyal housewives who catch the show in the afternoon?
Well, we believe that loyal viewers will catch the show in the evening when it is telecast at primetime.

Which are the premium properties that you would promote during the matches?
All our primetime shows like Kituu..., Woh Rehne Wali..., Saath Rahega.., Hare Kaanch...and others!

Planning any new show that can be aired immidiately after the cricket matches and that you would promote during the series
Yeah, we are looking at some new shows, but it's too early to talk about it!