Evaluating Obama's Tenure

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
As we all know Barack Obama's ascension to the white house was built on the promise for a lot of changes. Some of us are hopeful, some of us are cynical regarding his ability to deliver. Now that he is in the hot seat, let us evaluate the major decisions that go through in the tenure and see if he is delivering.

So far he has passed two newsworthy executive orders

1) Salary Freezes on all white house aides who make more than $100,000 a year: White house aides will be bummed that they will not be receiving annual merit raises this year.

2) Plan to shut down Guantanamo Bay in a year: Apart from making Harold and Kumar's journey not just epic but historic - is this a bad idea in an era of terror or is it a step towards America restoring some moral accountability.

Then there is the second $825 billion stimulus plan he is pushing. Will it help the economy or will it be another economic failure.

Those interested in historic perspectives can read about RooseveltsN ew Deal Program for recovery from the great depression.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gur.N.cool thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Well i really haven't followed any of the points that you posted but one thing is for sure, that America is not going to come out of this mess soon, no matter what Obama does or promises.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

As we all know Barack Obama's ascension to the white house was built on the promise for a lot of changes. Some of us are hopeful, some of us are cynical regarding his ability to deliver. Now that he is in the hot seat, let us evaluate the major decisions that go through in the tenure and see if he is delivering.

1) Salary Freezes on all white house aides who make more than $100,000 a year: White house aides will be bummed that they will not be receiving annual merit raises this year.

2) Plan to shut down Guantanamo Bay in a year: Apart from making Harold and Kumar's journey not just epic but historic - is this a bad idea in an era of terror or is it a step towards America restoring some moral accountability.

Then there is the second $825 billion stimulus plan he is pushing. Will it help the economy or will it be another economic failure.

Those interested in historic perspectives can read about RooseveltsN ew Deal Program for recovery from the great depression.

See here is a little psychology talk.. given the mess bush has left behind... obama, the smart guy he is will only have to undo many of them to make any impact... veri easy... regarding the measures mentioned above its always true that fed cost cutting is a good feel anyways... after all its my tax money they are messing with....

regarding his idea to use soil to produce energy.... i think he is making  tall claims on possibilities...and using the naive shotgun  claims.. he should be slighlty more secretive and act wisely....

The economy will change only if the banking industry gets well and you me and everybody started spending money rather than just saving...

btw.. i need to tell you i tend to gravitate to posts by RTH,, thing i just realized....😊

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

.....btw.. i need to tell you i tend to gravitate to posts by RTH,, thing i just realized....😊

Off topic, but I wanted to say that you are not alone.  She sure is one heck of a debator😊

P.S.......... and I am not saying that because she is a viewbie now.  I really mean itπŸ˜† 
Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Good! Atleast someone realized they already made a fortune in past yearsπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

I doubt if this will take just year, seems like by enforcing global laws he is trying to impress the world. Anyways this particular thing was in agenda so again no big deal. My personal thought, human behaviour for people involved in inhumane act sounds BLAH. As far as force full feeding goes, more then 50% of desi parents who utter " Finish your meal of spicy curry roti kiddo orelse someone is gonna get hurt" sounds inhumane too. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† Shows to the world... do whatever end up in custody of US law enforcement and enjoy rest of your life... I might be wrong... but how can anti humans provide any info without torture...πŸ˜•

Just concerned if it fails (most likely) who will be responsible? Not the administration for sure it will tax payer in high incomce bracket or future generations. I don't see majority of this stimulus going towards productive ongoing growth.

I feel sorry for the uninformed folks who voted for Obama, thinking of him as a savior, infact for Obama too how is he gonna manage the high expectation that is set in minds of some of his voters... i.e Don't worry about the bills ...Obama is here and we are good check this out.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSaEQA83nFw
Edited by raj5000 - 15 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Off topic, but I wanted to say that you are not alone.  She sure is one heck of a debator😊

P.S.......... and I am not saying that because she is a viewbie now.  I really mean itπŸ˜† 

aila, so u mean now i am guilty of chaapluci!!!?????πŸ˜† call it intellectual flirting...πŸ˜†
Edited by qwertyesque - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

aila, so u mean now i am guilty of chaapluci!!!?????πŸ˜† call it intellectual flirting...πŸ˜†

I guess I do have that sort of forceful magnetic intellectualism. Irresistible intellect. 

Haha going back on topic, I am wary about the Guantanamo Bay decision. I think it is the right thing to do but the order was declared to hastily without plan to relocate prisoners and determine who to do what with. If they want my opinion send the prisoners here. They can act as flood relief in spring and shovel our snow in winter. One dose of a good Alberta clipper or a Manitoba Mauler will freeze the terror out of them. Ever heard of terrorists from the frigid zones? Whatchyamacallitnymphets in heaven or 22 winters of shoveling snow, under -45F windchill - they will be crying out loud for the waterboard.

Surprisingly I actually John McCain with this one. Closing Guantanamo was the right decision, but a bit too soon. It will be tough managing the outcome.

I do not know how soil can make energy, but I sure know that we can use native prairie biomass. Switchgrass is being touted as the next best thing. Good old Panicum Virgatum, sustainable, perennial, and actually good for the soil. However, I have to say I am not sure how it can work in large quantities. Our farm uses waste from prairie seed cleaning to to make pellets and those pellets heat up the entire farm and power it.

Looks like Bushie Boy paved the way for embryonic stem cell research when he left though. For some reason my car radio was tuned to 'The Lighthouse' and they were going on about it.
chal_phek_mat thumbnail
Disagree with the salary freeze(so you are saying before you do a job that you are not going to be recognized for the effort you make) and the Guantanamo Bay prison closure(I absolutely dont see the logic of the people complaining about Guantanamo, yes you be careful about picking up people, but people who you are sure about, you should stash them away in places like Guantanamo, they deserve that

Best thing he has done till now, reversed the decision of  linking of aid  to Abortion, but that is something all democrats do, Clinton did that too, but will give credit to Obama
bheegi thumbnail
Well time will tell how Obama fares as a president but I found this video on Obama.....it's a cute song full of hope from Mr Obama.

http://www.groundreport.com/Politics/Obama-Hindi-Song-From-India-Video
Thx for sharing. There are so many Obama videos out there. I think the most addictive is the Coco Tea Video. We heard it at work one day and all of us find ourselves singing Obama.

Some people say that SDM is the Obama of the Oscars. I say nay, Obama is the Hannah Montana for grown ups. Why he could release a compliation CD without stepping into a recording studio and aptly call it 'Best of Both worlds'.