Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guardian Angel thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Originally posted by: dp_p

Recipe - Bharwaan Tindora (Dondakaya kura/Kovakkai/ Kundru sabzi)

Ivy gourd or Little gourd stir fry
Summary
Tindora/little gourd has low glycemic index which is good for people who are diabetic, helps regulates blood glucose. It is high in beta-carotene. Thanks to Wikipedia, I leant, dondakaya is also known as gentleman's toes (compare lady's fingers/okra ). Source: Wikipedia.

Tindora/dondakaya is very popular vegetable in south India. Dondakaya can be eaten as a curry or chutney. I make stuffed tindora/dondakaya for small gatherings.   I live in a multi cultural community. Dishes like stuffed tindora is like a delicacy, considering its look and presentation. If I am in a hurry I just chop tindora into vertical slices and add the spices on top of them and make it a stir-fry. Tastes almost the same but looks different :-)

Ingredients:

* Tindora - 45 - 50 pieces

Stuffing:

* Coconut - 2 tablespoons (optional)
    * Chickpea flour/Besan - 3 tablespoons (roasted)
    * Red chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
    * Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
    * Turmeric - 1/4 teaspoon
    * Oil - 2 tablespoons

Process:
Wash and clean tindora, slit tindora veritcally, making four slits. Make sure one edge of the tindora is entact. Mix all the spices together with with 2 teaspoons of oil. Stuff tindora with the stuffing mix.

Preheat an open skillet with oil on medium heat, add the stuffed tindora's slowly to the pan in a single layer.

Cook/roast them well on all the sides on medium temperature, make sure not to cover the dish.

Preparation time 30 - 45 minutes (takes longer to stuff :-))
# Servings: 4 - 6

Tips:
From one of my readers: Thank you Jen!!

* To cook Kovaikkai/Tindora/Dondakaya faster with a little less use of oil, microwave the slit Kovaikkais about 20 of them (on a plate with a little bit of water) and then stuffed them and placed them in a single layer in little oil.
    * The rest of the Kovaikkai slit vertically (To hasten the cooking process, cooked them in the microwave first and then followed the rest of your recipe, turns out awesome.
    * To cut the stuffing process short, slice tindoras thin (10 minutes can be saved). Cutting tindoras is also a chore ;-)

Preheat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds. Let them splutter add chopped tindora, turmeric. Let them cook for 10- 15 minutes.

Add red chilli powder, salt and chick pea flour, sautee till the desired crispness is aquaired.

Serve it hot with roti or rice.

Never had stuffed Tindora.  Thanks a lot.  I will sure try this recipešŸ˜³

KHOYA PEDA RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 cup Maida
1 pinch Turmeric Powder
1 pinch Salt
2 tsp Ghee
Water enough to make dough
6 tbsp Oil
Oil / Ghee for frying
Inner Filling
1 1/2 cup Jaggery
1 1/4 cup Bengal Gram Dal
1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder

Preparation:
    Blend the ghee and masala with the maida. Using water make a soft smooth dough. Leave under a wet cloth for 40-50 minutes. Knead again. Put in the 6 tbsps oil and knead till completely absorbed. Cover and leave aside for 4 hours. Put the dal in the cooker till one whistle. Drain the water. Grind to a paste and with the jaggery and cardamom powder. The filling should not be watery. Make small balls of the filling. Divide the dough into small balls and flatten them. Place one ball of filling on the dough and cover and seal up the filling. Carefully roll out the dough into thick puris making sure the filling does not come out.
  • Fry on a tawa pouring ghee around it. Cook on both sides. Puran Poli is ready to be served.

bratz007 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
go to youtube and type manjula recipies  there are so many videos 

if it is useful please say thanks